Whats scarier than meeting a Large Northwich/Woolwich at a Bridge Hole?

Rufford

Featured Posts

I really could not afford to increase it further, alas now I cannot afford to really do anything on the boat - looks like it will be overdrafts and what not to sort the bathroom out!

And if you ever do spot us, please stop and say hello!

Do not underestimate just how much time effort and money is required just to maintain a boat. It's one thing finding the resources to improve a boat but you need to factor in the costs of just keeping it's condition 'static'

Back at the OP for a mo - last week it was suggested to us in all serousness that loaded pairs should have someone walking in front to warn other boaters of their approach.

Thats just the nbt boats and it dont matter if they are loaded or empty.

Bourbon Calm's a Norwegian registered Supply Boat. I've seen her when on the party boat crossing from Hull to Holland, and looked her up. Quite a sight. There's quite a few Bourbon boats across the oceans, and some look like her too..

Congratulations, Rufford!

Ed:

You think a Woolwich bow is large?

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9083964#top_photo

Edited by Ships Cat

Perhaps using the word "Impact" with reference to 600 ton boats is tempting fate?

When I lived in London I used to see L-cars bearing the legend "Impact School Of Motoring". Not sure how many customers they got.

Off topic I guess.

There's a School of Motoring in our area advertising crash courses!!!! Makes you think doesn't it?

Edited by Nightwatch

I believe it was Whitby and Darly? I think, I was too busy flapping to take in names! And yes, I finally got the deal done and picked her up on Saturday. Going through the first lock was a bit nervous (will she fit length ways AND width ways??)

Other noteable occurances were; my mate taking the helm for 5 minutes while I popped inside, I came back out just in time to see him nearly write off not one, not two but a Marina full of plastic boats, he also broke the gear stick lever when he panicked and slammer her into reverse (and this chap is an engineer AND lives on a plastic boat! Thankfully the gear lever has the same diameter as a lock handle, so now I dont have a gear stick but rather a 'gear peddle' stamp once for neutral and twice for reverse, and give it a good shove for forwards).

After that I pretty much glued myself to the tiller, they are such big heavy boats to steer - the right line must be taken and a moments lapse of concentration will send the boat off the correct line and into boats/banks/marina's. I really have no idea how 'back in the day' the boatmen used to do it. I did a 16 hour day on Sunday and Im buggered. And that is not taking into account the strong wind we had or the shallow patches where all steering is lost (and Im pretty sure Rufford is not as deep as many ex working boats, so god knows how they cope!).

Also I have discovered that the drinking water on Rufford is not safe to drink. (Discovered that the hard way). We also got stuck a few times, I have a rather titanicesque photo of Rufford at a good 45 degree angle which I shall be posting as soon as it loads.

Im still just flabbergasted at how different to handle Rufford is to my small 55ft boat, so much heavier and it doesnt turn in the middle but slightly forward of the middle, and forget stopping her with a rope when mooring up, reverse HAS to be used. Im sure I will get used to her and gain more confidence - it doesnt help when you have a slightly mad frenchman on the bow shouting out warnings and not knowing when it is our right of way (got fed up of reversing/stopping when their was either enough room to get past or we were at the bridge hole first/passing a moored boat first etc). I think I am going to put a camera on the bow - that should help a fair bit.

What a weekend! 44 miles and 17 locks in 23 hours and certainly not a boat I would like to single hand!

Check your rudder is as it should be, size and balance, GU motors stop well with correct size prop in relation to the designed hull. Just had a new Harland & Wolff rudder made to correct one such instance with a boat we own.

Oh yes, just spotted that you're using reverse to stop the boat, in preference to ropes.

It might be worth seeing if you can get someone to teach you how to strap a boat safely. I prefer using that technique, e.g. On lock bollards, as it's not subject to prop walk and helps a lot. For example, when first into a wide lock going downhill, and sharing with another boat, I'll strap the boat to a stop and it will be held against the side of the lock whilst the other boat enters. Or, as another example, when coming into a mooring with bollards and restricted space, you can strap the boat to a halt nice and efficiently, and don't end up pushing the back end away from the bank from the prop walk, or having to use reverse.

If you can get someone to teach it to you, and are careful when using it- keep fingers and appendages well clear of the bollard, don't hurry but do it properly, etc., you might find it a very useful technique to know.

Thats just the nbt boats and it dont matter if they are loaded or empty.

Sorry mate, your sniping comments about NBT just don't reflect the reactions we get from the vast majority of people we meet during our travels. I'd invite you to come and meet some of the newer members but imagine you wouldn't want to risk having to reconsider some of your ill founded opinions.

It was quite out of order for them to change their mind, however my only options were to offer more money or walk away from the deal, and whilst I really wanted to walk away and make a point I also really wanted the boat. I feel I have paid a little over the odds however I do very much like the boat and it fitted in with my timescales, and with a decent bathroom and bedroom and a bit of tarting up I would like to think she will be worth a little more than I paid for her.

And Mr Fincher I shall give you first refusal if I do ever sell her!

I think you should have walked away, and use a negotiator to buy on your behalf. I'm after a boat at the moment, and thats how I intend to proceed.