Boat Saves Lorry From Falling In Water

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Why?

Why? Because its easier to get/slide stuff off the back of lorries, if you don't have to stand in the river. :)

Slow connection edit: I'm glad nobody was hurt. Engineer was scheduled to be working on 1906 tug, but was late. His lucky day, too. The roof was plastic, off an old police boat.

Edited by kendo

A friend of mine had an Iveco 320-32 IIRC, the park brake on that applied the trailer brakes as well, but if the trailer was air spring then loss of the resevoir air meant that the trailer brakes leaked off, if plain spring brakes then they would stay on. You could 'test' the park brake for holding on a hill by pushing the drivers park lever in and it would then travel further in the apply direction releasing the trailer brakes while the tractor spring brakes remained applied. This IIRC was something that was possible on the old 3 line brakes.

Edited by Roadsteam

There is one habit/obsession which even after 20+ years of driving trucks I can not shake. After getting out of the cab, 99 out of 100, I do a double check to make sure the handbrake is on.

Just out of interest, are people aware that an articulated lorry, when parked on the handbrake, only brakes the drive axle wheels of the unit? Think about that, when you see one parked up on a slope...

Thats way out of date, so old in fact last trucks i can think of that did that were old scania 3 and 4 series, maybe they are still the same, but as scania are poo to drive and even worse to work on!

The mainly daf trucks i work on the artics handbrake on means all axles fitted with spring brakes means all brakes on, well apart from the tag axle but thats not worth a toss anyway, most modern trucks on the handbrake lever once applied, push the lever inwards and it will then travel down another section, this knocks off the trailer brakes and checks if all fails the truck park brake will hold the vehicle, quite why they have this feature i dont kow as most 3 axle trailers have at least 2 axles spring brakes and many are all 3 axle spring brakes, so it aint going anywhere.

Modern trucks brakes are quite simply amazing in their performance, brake roller testing drive axles readings over 3200kgs per hub are not unusual.the newer ones are even better, same hardware, just newer software and apart form stupid sensor faults the reliability is top notch.

Just about all modern trucks are brake by wire with air back up, as soon as you touch the pedal the brakes are responding, in the meantime the air signal is still on its way! this cam ein with ebs which i think was early 2000 year ish.

Watch this stunning doesnt quite cover it

Lynall

Edited by lynalldisocvery

Should have added the truck in the pic is a 2006 daf xf95 model almost the last year built, and in the truck world thats a banger, but still quite modern, the trailers on the other hand are on leaf springs which means they are probably well over 15/20 years old, most likely no abs and im sure maintained to a high standard! but still the truck will control them when handbrake applied.

Lynall

I would have imagined he hooked up the unit to the trailer but forgot to apply the units handbrake, he then got out and connected up all his lines,as the tanks on the trailer built up with air the brakes slowly released making both unit and trailer roll backwards.

Darren

That's not a tug, that's a patrol boat.

5 posts above, I mentioned that the roof came from an old police boat. :) Built in 1906. It used to be a dockyard mail boat with a tiller. Converted to wheel steering, it's been the Bourne End marina tug for many years. The engine was beefy enough to shift narrowboats around, but it's mainly plastics there.

Thanks for the pics, sad end for the old boat. Bet it used to scare folks who mistook it for a patrol boat mind!

Lockie.