Omnimax Gizelle Tv Aerial

Karma Dreams

Featured Posts

help.gif Hi members.. help again needed. We have one of these on our boat (8 years old) and up until now has been fab.. not many places that we havent been able to get a 'good freeview signal', well, up until now that is.. now nowt!!!! Tried retuning it and it picks up nothing... cant understand why this is. We first of all wondered if it was due to the 4g signals being used (hence the articles last year on the forum about this).. but since been on boat this year ... nothing.

So have any members got one of these aerials, and if so, have you had any probs at all? Hubby looked at the instructions for the aerial and looking at the associated parts we seem to be missing 1. the security key and 2. the allen key. These look like how you gain access to the inner workings. But we cant get inside the unit to see if maybe water has intergrated the wiring etc... So pls hep if possible on ideas... once again tks in advance.

Seems like the two sides of these aerials but both say how great they are. Look at the next post and all seem to agree that they are the answer for free view reception.

Maybe just recheck all of your connections as it would seem that something has changed maybe by accident.

Seems like the two sides of these aerials but both say how great they are. Look at the next post and all seem to agree that they are the answer for free view reception.

Maybe just recheck all of your connections as it would seem that something has changed maybe by accident.

The Maxiview and the Gazelle are two different models - we have a Gazelle on our boat which was fitted by the builders when new in 2006.

It has never worked since the day we bought the boat 3 years ago, and if it didn't create a problem of potential water ingress I would have removed it yonks ago. It probably stopped working long before we got the boat.

If/when we ever get the boat painted I will look into removing it and sealing the resulting hole then.

Why it should suddenly stop working yes I would strongly suspect connections too but if you can'y get them that is going to be difficult. The Allen key should be a standard size - I didn't know you needed a security key though.

Edited by The Dog House

Gazelles were renown for filling with water when they had the rod antenna on the top I had two replaced FOC it was a while ago could be worth a call to maxview

Interesting - mine has the VHF aerial 'rod' aerial on the top.

I can't see them replacing mine though as it's now 7 years old.

Maxview is the manufacturer......Gazelle is the model.

http://www.maxview.co.uk/products/info_B2414_5.html

Cheers

Gareth

Yup - I should have said "The Omnimax and the Gazelle are two different models..."

And the thread title I guess should really be "Maxiview Gazelle TV Aerial"

Edited by The Dog House

Interesting - mine has the VHF aerial 'rod' aerial on the top.

I can't see them replacing mine though as it's now 7 years old.

Its worth a try mine first one came with the boat and was at least 5 years old.

Its worth a try mine first one came with the boat and was at least 5 years old.

Do you know if they have modified them or did you just get one without the VHF aerial to replace the knackerd one.

Do you know if they have modified them or did you just get one without the VHF aerial to replace the knackerd one.

The newer versions have no vhf whip I had one replacement with a whip then a further one without, then it was OK.

Sorry for confusion YES... My post should have read Maxview. My tv aerial has the radio pull up attachment.. maybe water has got into the the main head through the 'rusted out radio aerial bit, never thought of that. Cant seem to remove it for further inspection either. Would be handy to remove the head and have a look (as said though, havent got the required security key to do it) mad.gif

Had a look on the Maxview link you gave... they are expensive to replace the whole unit though eh?

The Gazelle has an amplifer box ( probably hiding in a cupboard), if this is not powered it will not work. Check if the light is on, also the red light on the rear of the aerial which is powered via the amp. box.

OK from memory there is an allen key under a plastic plug on the top if you don't have the key for the plug they are available here

http://www.maxview.co.uk/products/info_GAZKEY.html

Then its just an allen bolt to remove it.

As I said before its worth a call to maxview as they know there is a problem with the ones with the whip.

Edited by Loddon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again ... Well I thought my Maxview Gazelle aerial was sorted.... had new pull up aerial for the radio fitted... there was some water when taken apart in the head (prob through the rusty old radio rod lol) and more importantly a new signal booster as wel as our one the knob just kept turning and turning :-( so we gave it a retune and voila up came some programmes... we thought... well now been on the cut in several places (where in the past got fantastic picture and strong signals) with absolutely NOWT ... asking other boaters with various aerials including the one we have (with all the new bits) and they all say the same.... "forget tv we cant anything either, so have given up" :-( so wonder now if this is DUE TO THE 4G wiping out our freeview? Also, wonder if we get a 4g tv filter the AT800 version will make it any difference? Any other thoughts guys???

No dont think its any connections as these were looked at first of all.... also we did get some channels and they were clear... but how come in places that we no FOR CERTAIN in past years we have had tv and now nothing... that's the annoying part... I'm stuck now completely.. :-(

I too have had issues with this antenna where it works fine one minute and then nothing, interestingly this extended to the FM output as well as the UHF (TV) output. My current theory is that it is the amplifier ceasing to, well... amplify. I have a spare one (had to buy a new antenna - wished I had known it was a warranty issue and saved meself £80) which I intend to install imminently and test over the coming weeks; I will post my findings in due course.

One thing to note is that with DTV there is no 'snow' like old school analogue so it can be difficult to determine signal strength and quality, however most DTV's will have some indication of these parameters on the 'info' screen for a given channel. As these antennas are omnidirectional multipath reception (ghosting in old terms) can cause the signal quality to be low even though the strength is high. I have wondered if selective screening of one side of the antenna with aluminium foil might help reduce multipath.

I have tried this Ariel and prob about 10 other types including sat dishes! I do not have a lot of luck with them, when cruising most of them end up in a bush somewhere.''

I have to admit I was more than a little sceptical when Tree bought an indoor Ariel called 'one for all.' It is flat about, about 6 inches by 12. But I have had to eat my words andwent out to buy my own. It cost me £25 but the beauty of it is when I move I just wiggle it a bit without having to get off the boat and last night I picked up 159 good channels!

Now doubt someone will be on the gloat soon.......icecream.gif

I have tried this Ariel and prob about 10 other types including sat dishes! I do not have a lot of luck with them, when cruising most of them end up in a bush somewhere.''

I have to admit I was more than a little sceptical when Tree bought an indoor Ariel called 'one for all.' It is flat about, about 6 inches by 12. But I have had to eat my words andwent out to buy my own. It cost me £25 but the beauty of it is when I move I just wiggle it a bit without having to get off the boat and last night I picked up 159 good channels!

Now doubt someone will be on the gloat soon.......:icecream:

.......sacred bleu , surely ( no! not Shirley)..my dearest pal and fellow Alpha Female/Gemini, cannot mean moi...hehe. Hopefully the Sainsbury staff in Nottingham have forgotten our licke Morcambe&Wise act, with you going 'it might not work' and moi going 'stuff that for a lark, it might and its half price, plus can always take it back lol'.......sits blowing raspberries at you nar nar nar nar nar lol..gloating!!! ..lickle ancient moi?? Huggles xx:-)