Birmingham And Fazeley Canal Minworth Locks

Tinhare

Featured Posts

Possible breach between Minworth Locks.

CaRT are on the scene and are currently lowering the water level in the pound. We are moored just below the bottom lock, heading up, have just spoken to the CaRT guys, there is an engineer on the way to investigate. Apparently there was/is a trickle of water going over a road.

Will know more in about an hour after the engineer arrives and I can have a chat.

Regards,

Alan.

Well, I have an update, sort of.

Have been for a walk up to Minworth top lock and the problem is just past Forge Lane Bridge heading towards Birmingham. CaRT were down on the road as we walked up but had left by the time we walked back. There is water flowing over the A38 carriageway closest to the canal. However, we noticed on our return that the paddles of bottom lock have now been lowered so they are no longer draining the pound.

I guess we will have to wait until first thing tomorrow when we will attempt to continue our journey towards Birmingham.

Will post un update in the morning.

Cheers,

Alan.

Another update. Moored in Birmingham now. Saw some CaRT guys earlier today and they asked us if we had come through Minworth. No news at that point.

However, just saw them now and they have just told me that they are closing Minworth,

Cheers or not depending where you are.

Alan.

Bad news folks. The CRT men have closed the canal behind us! They have shut the canal between Minworth top lock and Caters Bridge. They are taking 2.5 feet of water out of the bottom pound to assess the 'leak'! We just made it in time!

You were lucky. We are heading down Worcester way atm but will be heading back to Fazeley in about a week. Hmm could be a long trip back.

Oh pants, our plan is/was to go through there next Saturday.

So, Birmingham is now via the Worcester and Birmingham, the Stratford, the GU or the Stourbridge

Two down, four to go

Richard

Or, depending on where on the W&B, two down, three to go!

So, Birmingham is now via the Worcester and Birmingham, the Stratford, the GU or the Stourbridge

Two down, four to go

Richard

I'm more interested in getting back out of the place. II suppose it'll be the Severn in flood next...........

Just heading up the Grand Union from Star City and seen the navigation closed until further notice on Garrison Top Lock . Bunny

Edited by Bunny

This reply just received from Dean Davies Waterway manager:

"

Hello Laurence,
We have a leak through the embankment between lock 2 & Lock 3 at Minworth which is causing us some concern. Given the nature of the embankment and the quantity of water coming through the bank, we felt it was safer to close the canal and lower the pound. Our geotechnical engineers are coming out first thing Monday. Hopefully we'll be able to open shortly but I'll keep you posted.
Cheers - Dean "

Hi all - anyone know of any updates we were planning on going this way today. I suppose we could risk it and if shut wind at the winding hole marked at the top lock curdworth - we love going up & down the same flight in one day! Is this winding hole ok - it is about 20 years since I have been this way!!. Might also call in at the Fazeley office to see if anyone knows anything there?

Received from Waterscape at 09.36 today:-

Between Minworth Locks 2 & 3

Monday 29 July 2013 until further notice Due to concerns over the stability of the embankment between Minworth Lock 2 & Lock 3 we are taking the unfortunate but necessary step of closing the navigation at this point until the problem can be resolved. An update will follow once more information is known.

Canal & River Trust apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Enquiries: 0303 040 4040

Hi all - anyone know of any updates we were planning on going this way today. I suppose we could risk it and if shut wind at the winding hole marked at the top lock curdworth - we love going up & down the same flight in one day! Is this winding hole ok - it is about 20 years since I have been this way!!. Might also call in at the Fazeley office to see if anyone knows anything there?

Looks like it's not going to be open for a while. As for the winding hole at the top of Curdworth it is fine, plenty of space to turn around.

Due to be going through here the week before the bank holiday! May have to change our well planned summer holiday sad.png please keep us posted on any developments. Have checked CART website and nothing there yet?

Also looking closely at this. Due to go through this coming Saturday, and will be positioning the boat in preparation one evening in the week, so will need to make a decision in the next couple of days. What with this, and the rain causing potential river issues. our plans may change drastically.

It is on the stoppage web site now, but it does not say any more than is already known.