Which Direction? - A Week There & Back From Hurleston

Québec

Featured Posts

We're moored at the Hurleston end of the Llangollen, and - after a particularly hectic few months - we're contemplating a relatively relaxing 'there and back' in a week. We did the Llangollen last year (though would happily do it again) but would welcome advice (pros/cons) on which route to take to get us there and back in a week.

Main aim.... relative peace and quiet, with some decent pubs. Would love to have a go at the Cheshire ring, but know we haven't got the time.

So....

Do we turn right at Hurleston and head down the Shroppy?

Do we turn left and head up the Shroppy towards Chester and beyond.

Do we head for Middlewich then turn right down the T&M and head for the Macclesfield?

Decisions, decision....any advice welcome.

Paul

We're moored at the Hurleston end of the Llangollen, and - after a particularly hectic few months - we're contemplating a relatively relaxing 'there and back' in a week. We did the Llangollen last year (though would happily do it again) but would welcome advice (pros/cons) on which route to take to get us there and back in a week.

Main aim.... relative peace and quiet, with some decent pubs. Would love to have a go at the Cheshire ring, but know we haven't got the time.

So....

Do we turn right at Hurleston and head down the Shroppy?

Do we turn left and head up the Shroppy towards Chester and beyond.

Do we head for Middlewich then turn right down the T&M and head for the Macclesfield?

Decisions, decision....any advice welcome.

Paul

Or, turn left, right and left again, left yet again, down 50' and find yourself on the Weaver!

There's the 4 counties ring (turn right at Hurleston, then left, left, left, left, left, right back up Hurleston). But its not an out & back trip, and if you really want 'relaxing' then its kinda not quite there (pleasant enough, just an amount of locks in certain areas, and you need to commit to cruising 7+ hours a day, etc).

The run into Chester and back would take less than 7 days but the locks are broad. You could extend it to the run to Ellesmere Port but then you'd need to do Northgate staircase too, and the weedy section from Chester to E Port.

So I'd say Nick's suggestion of the Weaver is a good one!

Now I've put you up to it, just bear in mind that the Anderton Lift doesn't have fantastically long operating hours mid-week. I can't find them on the web but you could maybe phone them. You can book passage but it costs, we just turned up and went straight down, had to wait 1 lift cycle to go back up, however I think if you want to go down on a Friday afternoon/Saturday morning, and back up Sunday night it can be pretty busy. We went down 1st cycle Friday morning, back Monday evening and it was fine but the last passage was something like 16:30.

We turned up to go down and had to wait a couple of hours. When we booked in to do down we did pay (£5 I think) to book the return as wanted to come back up late in the day, so wanted to be certain we would get on.

As well as the lift you also have to consider the Weaver lock opening hours.

The Weaver was great though, so many contrasts.

Now I've put you up to it, just bear in mind that the Anderton Lift doesn't have fantastically long operating hours mid-week.

Thanks. Coincidentally, I was at Anderton a couple of weeks ago (driving past, stopped for a coffee and a look) and noticed that it shut at 4pm. It was certainly very quiet after that.

Edited to add: Just checked...last descent currently is at 5.30.

Edited by Québec

I moored outside the boat lift earlier this year (in a hired 66 foot Hudson Nick) with the intention of going on the Weaver - but the ruddy electrics in the boat went kaput and the boat would not start in the morning. I lost our day on the Weaver awaiting the engineer to fix.

I was gutted as the Weaver looks fantastic.

Timelapse going down the lift and on the Weaver

Great video, 2 problems: Now OP doesn't need to do the weaver, he can just watch your vid, and you didn't go right to the end! Shame!

I moored outside the boat lift earlier this year (in a hired 66 foot Hudson Nick) with the intention of going on the Weaver - but the ruddy electrics in the boat went kaput and the boat would not start in the morning. I lost our day on the Weaver awaiting the engineer to fix.

I was gutted as the Weaver looks fantastic.

Moral: get your own huddie!

Great video, 2 problems: Now OP doesn't need to do the weaver, he can just watch your vid, and you didn't go right to the end! Shame!

It was getting a bit late in the day, so we decided to turn and go back upstream and find somewhere to moor, here is always next time. We also did not go upstream as far a the flashes, so again it's left something for next time.

Thanks all. Heading for the Weaver!

Thanks all. Heading for the Weaver!

Excellent choice :-). You say you're after some excellent pubs, so some to try on the Weaver are:-

1. The Red Lion at Winsford ( not tried it myself but heard good recent reports & you can tie up right outside)

2. The Penny Black in Northwich ( 'spoons pub, but usually have a reasonable selection of ales at good prices)

3. The Leigh Arms at Acton Bridge (Robbies pub, usually with 4 of their cask ales on tap, also do reasonable food & visitor moorings nearby next to the bridge)

4. The Hollybush at Acton Bridge ( good 10 mins walk up hill over canal bridge, usually a couple of well kept ales & good food)

5. The Helter Skelter at Frodsham ( bit of a walk from Sutton Weaver Bridge visitor mooring, but usually a fine choice of ales some from local breweries)

Hope you enjoy the Weaver, we love it down there.

Cheers, Brian

If you are willing to put in a fairly lenthy 1st day you can get near Anderton on 1st day, we did it from Bunbury at the end of May. We were 1st down the lift the following morning, this would give you a good few days to explore the weaver which is well worth it.

If you dont fancy the long 1st and last day it just means you wont have as long on the river. We have never booked with a 2nd plan if we couldnt get in the lift but you can book in advance if you want to Gaurantee passage, £5 a time.

I hope you have better weather than us, both times on the weaver we have had more than a fair share of rain!