Introduction Of Quiet Zones On The K&a.......a Good Idea?

louca Inglese

Featured Posts

I think that this is a sad that people are so inconsiderate that something like this needs to be introduced. We certainly try and avoid mooring near to boats with generators running - too many still ignore the turning them off at 10pm, but even then the quiet of the country side evening has been spoilt.

I have sympathy for people living close to a canal where loud music and generators regularly disrupt their life style.

Excessive noise is not about them having bought a place next to a canal and what do they expect, it's about inconsiderate neighbours however temporary.

Off cruising now so wont be bothered by anyone shooting me down captain.gif as can't get internet, mainly because I don't have a lap top.

I don't think it is exactly unique though is it? There must be many places where there are properties close to the canal that have restrictions on boats running engines etc. The moorings just before you get to Bancroft basin on Stratford spring to mind.

I think it is a good idea just think it is a bit sad that people have to be reminded to think of others. Having said that I would be concerned if suddenly we saw hundreds of these signs appear. I am encouraged that this has come about as a result of consultation that included boaters and hopefully that will mean these signs will only appear after boaters have been involved in the discussions.

I think that this is a sad that people are so inconsiderate that something like this needs to be introduced. We certainly try and avoid mooring near to boats with generators running - too many still ignore the turning them off at 10pm, but even then the quiet of the country side evening has been spoilt.

I have sympathy for people living close to a canal where loud music and generators regularly disrupt their life style.

Excessive noise is not about them having bought a place next to a canal and what do they expect, it's about inconsiderate neighbours however temporary.

Off cruising now so wont be bothered by anyone shooting me down captain.gif as can't get internet, mainly because I don't have a lap top.

I thought the restriction was from 8pm to 8am.

Can anyone confirm the actual rule/byelaw?

Does the quiet zone apply only to boaters or do householders also have to abide by it? I'm not au fait with the area but it looks to me as if the neighbours are happy to look out at a row of nice boats but don't want the people that use them to spoil it by living normally.... of course I could be wrong and the householders have agreed not to have bbqs or loud parties as well .... but I'm not putting my shirt on it

I thought the restriction was from 8pm to 8am.

Can anyone confirm the actual rule/byelaw?

It is 8pm.

Perhaps half the problem is that some people decide that 8pm doensn't work for them and re-invent it as 10pm

Restricting engines/generators to reasonable hours as is currently the case (8-8 seems fair enough (although 9-9 would be better in my opinion)) is fine (I'm in favour).

However, banning them entirely because some people don't like it... doesn't sit well with me.

Restricting engines/generators to reasonable hours as is currently the case (8-8 seems fair enough (although 9-9 would be better in my opinion)) is fine (I'm in favour).

However, banning them entirely because some people don't like it... doesn't sit well with me.

I don't think that they have banned them completely.

Rather they have put up signs asking people to be considerate neighbours

This actually all happened a fair while ago, and is probably a bit of a special case rather than a major new trend.

Its not at Pewsey but at Honeystreet, and if there is anybody on the forum who does not know the Barge....its a lively canalsde pub and can be very lively on a summer weekend, its more of a mini-festival than a country pub! Some of the customers do get a bit exited sometimes and carry on partying after the pub has shut. Some locals wanted a no mooring zone opposite their houses so the quiet zone agreed after meetings with CaRT and boaters is a good compromise.

On another note, I have observed a new breed of liveaboards on new widebeams/barges who have every electrical gizmo a house would have and so need to run a big generator from wake up time till bed time! ...its boating...but not as we know it!

................Dave

edited to correct "exited" to "excited", but decided exited is probably correct.

Edited by dmr

If that is the case that could be awkward for some who need to charge via a generator at some point in the day.

Personally I would prefer a quieter evening period so for me a 8am to 6pm period would be better ( I don't run ours beyond 6pm) but I can understand why that may not work for everyone else. I definitely would not like an extension of time to 9pm even with a later start time to match.

Although probably a good idea in some places I like others think it is a shame that folk have to be asked by signage/scheme to be considerate it ought to be a social norm or a given really. Such is life though.

I don't think that they have banned them completely.

Rather they have put up signs asking people to be considerate neighbours

That's fair enough. Although reading the article in the OP it did give me the impression too that running generators at all was one of the things they did not want anyone doing although I think it actually said it was asking people to "avoid running generators"

If that is the case that could be awkward for some who need to charge via a generator at some point in the day.

Personally I would prefer a quieter evening period so for me a 8am to 6pm period would be better ( I don't run ours beyond 6pm) but I can understand why that may not work for everyone else. I definitely would not like an extension of time to 9pm even with a later start time to match.

Although probably a good idea in some places I like others think it is a shame that folk have to be asked by signage/scheme to be considerate it ought to be a social norm or a given really. Such is life though.

That's fair enough. Although reading the article in the OP it did give me the impression too that running generators at all was one of the things they did not want anyone doing although I think it actually said it was asking people to "avoid running generators"

The aim of such schemes is nearly always to use signage to discourage without actually banning anything.

It is an exercise in playing to both audiences.

The aim of such schemes is nearly always to use signage to discourage without actually banning anything.

It is an exercise in playing to both audiences.

True enough and if it can keep everybody happy and rubbing along together then it is no bad thing.