Stop EU banning red diesel use for Narrowboats. sign UGov petition here

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

Sorry Dave but that is not "statistics" that is a guess and my (non-statistical) guess is that it would take a heck of a lot of jerry can sploshes to come close to one fuel dispensing pump incident of the kind I witnessed.

Whilst there are cases such as you describe (outliers from a statistical point of view), these are going to be rare, and because of the sheer amount of oil involved will attract a cleanup operation.

If we leave aside these cases, for a moment, and consider ordinary refuelling operations where no major disaster occurs.

The majority of diesel polution would occur for two reasons;

1) Blowback. This shouldn't happen with a proper diesel nozzle. Using a jerrycan and funnel, an inexperienced filler has a fair chance of it happening if they pour too fast.

2) dripping from the nozzle. Probably equally likely at the end of each fill, but if filling from a can, there will be more occasions when you fill, so more drips.

2)

If we leave aside these cases, for a moment, and consider ordinary refuelling operations where no major disaster occurs.

Isn't that a bit like saying "If we leave aside Nagasaki and Hiroshima the atomic bomb is far less lethal than a pea shooter"?

The vast majority of boaters are conscientious and, if using jerry cans becomes necessary, they will take appropriate steps to avoid spillage.

"Major disasters" do occur far more frequently than you suggest, just look at the diesel slicks that lie around marinas, and one of these spillages would be the equivalent of thousands of "nozzle drips".

Isn't that a bit like saying "If we leave aside Nagasaki and Hiroshima the atomic bomb is far less lethal than a pea shooter"?

The vast majority of boaters are conscientious and, if using jerry cans becomes necessary, they will take appropriate steps to avoid spillage.

"Major disasters" do occur far more frequently than you suggest, just look at the diesel slicks that lie around marinas, and one of these spillages would be the equivalent of thousands of "nozzle drips".

People can and do knock jerry cans over.

People can and do knock jerry cans over.

Indeed they can and do and conscientious people can and do clean it up.

As mentioned in my last thread, judging by the slicks we boat through past many marinas, diesel vendors are not always so conscientious.

As for you with your nasty little snide comments on the back of Colonel Blimp's coattails... maybe you should try a little harder with that avoiding hypocrisy.

I'm about ready to give up. Try looking up Hypocrisy

Bob.

I'm about ready to give up. Try looking up Hypocrisy

Bob.

Sorry, I didn't realise you hadn't understood, here you go;

hypocrisy (noun); the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform

Just to help you a little more; saying "I accept your apology" and then making little snide comments is an example. Criticising boaters for using the law to their advantage and then looking for ways out of paying tax is another.

HTH

However, if writing in coloured crayon will help;

...and there's you claiming to be competent at IT. (though I feel sorry for everybody else who has to read your crap in that stupid way. Suits you, incidentally - pompous and tasteless, I think you should make it your house style )

I discounted your 'it's too much hassle" argument, because that's such a non-specific whine that it could apply to almost everything.

So, as I say " I don't want to", "it's too much hassle for me to fiddle the system" and "I can't fill my tank without spilling fuel" are hardly heavyweights arguments are they? Would you like me to provide you with a link to a good funnel?

By the way, in the grown up world, I already manage 6 fuels on my boat, so handling white diesel as well is not going to be as difficult for me as someone as intellectually challenged as yourself.

Edited by Chris Pink
  • Greenie 1

Sorry, I didn't realise you hadn't understood, here you go;

hypocrisy (noun); the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform

Just to help you a little more; saying "I accept your apology" and then making little snide comments is an example. Criticising boaters for using the law to their advantage and then looking for ways out of paying tax is another.

HTH

Where have I criticised anyone who was not breaking the rules or law?

I have not anywhere advocated breaking the law.

Just because you do not like some of the things I say, you want to put words in my writing that are not there.

That is why I said it was a half hearted apology, because that's what it was. Making me make the remark that I did to the following post.

I say it again: You seem to denigrate anyone who doesn't agree with your point of view; read things into what they write that just aren't there.

This is a discussion forum, there is no need for some of the personal vitriol that you aim at posters.

Bob

"personal vitriol" - and your post #269?

I am not making any personal attacks I am disagreeing with you (discussion) and pointing out that trying to find a way to escape due tax is inconsistent with criticising others who you see as "playing the system"

Clearer now? There, as you're so sensitive, i've substituted "inconsistent" for 'hypocritical'.

Edited by Lady Muck
personal attack removed

"personal vitriol" - and your post #269?

I am not making any personal attacks I am disagreeing with you (discussion) and pointing out that trying to find a way to escape due tax is inconsistent with criticising others who you see as "playing the system"

Clearer now? There, as you're so sensitive, i've substituted "inconsistent" for 'hypocritical'.

Chris you have a well skewed definition of vitriol, post 269 merely agreed with a previous post made by Dave.

ed. for spelling.

Edited by Lady Muck
personal attack removed

...and there's you claiming to be competent at IT. (though I feel sorry for everybody else who has to read your crap in that stupid way. Suits you, incidentally - pompous and tasteless, I think you should make it your house style )

I discounted your 'it's too much hassle" argument, because that's such a non-specific whine that it could apply to almost everything.

So, as I say " I don't want to", "it's too much hassle for me to fiddle the system" and "I can't fill my tank without spilling fuel" are hardly heavyweights arguments are they? Would you like me to provide you with a link to a good funnel?

By the way, in the grown up world, I already manage 6 fuels on my boat, so handling white diesel as well is not going to be as difficult for me as someone as intellectually challenged as yourself.

Your continued attacks for no better reason than that you enjoy attacking me show you fir what you are.

At no point have I ever said anything that could be interpreted as it's too much trouble for me to fiddle the system. I have not the slightest intention of fiddling anything and to suggest that my wishing to retain the current system amounts to a wish to fiddle anything is a gross libel.

I don't make claims about my IT skills (other than when applying for jobs). My employers are apparently satisfied with my skills, which is sufficient. Did you forget that it is you who engages in rampant self promotion?

I'm sure that people will survive a little bit of Comic Sans, although if it irritates you that much I might use it again to keep you from stalking me, particularly as it renders as a rather nice script font on the I phone

Where have I criticised anyone who was not breaking the rules or law?

I have not anywhere advocated breaking the law.

Just because you do not like some of the things I say, you want to put words in my writing that are not there.

That is why I said it was a half hearted apology, because that's what it was. Making me make the remark that I did to the following post.

I say it again: You seem to denigrate anyone who doesn't agree with your point of view; read things into what they write that just aren't there.

This is a discussion forum, there is no need for some of the personal vitriol that you aim at posters.

Bob

I've noticed that when Chris Pink is losing/has lost an argument, he slides from the topic being discussed into personal abuse. If he hasn't personally met you (he's not met me, and I have no desire to meet him) you can easily dismiss the personal abuse and safely count it as a 'win'. Or, just ignore him.

• Greenie 1

I've noticed that when Chris Pink is losing/has lost an argument, he slides from the topic being discussed into personal abuse. If he hasn't personally met you (he's not met me, and I have no desire to meet him) you can easily dismiss the personal abuse and safely count it as a 'win'. Or, just ignore him.

Eventually when he has lost enough arguments he doesn't wait to lose the latest argument, he shortcuts the process and insults anybody who he knows can win an argument against him

Your stock 'argument' when you have lost the debate is pretty thin stuff.

As others will note, I have advanced several arguments, whilst you were too busy telling lies about what I have said, and flinging abuse to even work out that you don't have any arguments left.

I would hardly describe my exchange with a man who couldn't argue the skin off a rice pudding in those terms

Just as well then that milk-based telekinesis is not needed to show to fallacies in your arguments, it's enough just to quote you.

Edited by Chris Pink

My question, as a retiree with loads of spare time on his hands, is how do the likes of Chris who should be busy creating 'Astonishingly good websites' and Dave whom I believe should be busy commuting between Stockport(?) and Sheffield, achieve all of this spare time to bitch with each other over little more than semantics.

It's summer, prise yourselves away from those keyboards and enjoy it while it lasts!

Perhaps all the "steam" and fun that folks on this forum in bitching between them, will be silenced or maybe damped down by this release:-

http://www.boatingbusiness.com/news101/industry-news/red-diesel-update

more moderate opinion in the boating arena support what I and others have said on posts above

Perhaps all the "steam" and fun that folks on this forum in bitching between them, will be silenced or maybe damped down by this release:-

http://www.boatingbusiness.com/news101/industry-news/red-diesel-update

more moderate opinion in the boating arena support what I and others have said on posts above

Possibly, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

When I signed this morning, there were less than 800 signatures.

That level of interest will only make the government take the easy way out.....agree with the EU.

We want change to the inland waterways.

Expand Cotswoldsmans idea of taking C&RT staff out for a day, to taking MPs and Euro MPs.

Bod

Bringing fuel duty for boats in line with other vehicles is change.

Change for the better, is what I should have put!

If my partial reading of this thread is right.

Commercial boats will still be able to use red diesel. Are hire boats leisure or commercial?

Can I set my self up as Canal Carrying Company and claim commercial use for my clone craft?

Carrying small loads, occasionally. When and if I find them.

Bod

Edited by Bod