15m of anchor chain but how much rope on the Thames

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

That will limit your travel on tidal rivers.

I don't think my boat will do 6 kts, it was built like many others for canals and no way would I go on flowing water where I was unable to make headway against the flow.

I don't think my boat will do 6 kts, it was built like many others for canals and no way would I go on flowing water where I was unable to make headway against the flow.

I think the tide runs at around 3 mph so you should be able to make headway, just!

Weekend before last we went down to the barrier and then up to Teddington with a group of boats. I think at least two of them would not be able to get up to 4 mph but were perfectly able to do the journey with the tide and had the security of being in a convoy so help readily at hand but as they all had done their engine checks, checked they had enough fuel etc there was no trouble.

Don't miss out on what will be one of the best journeys you can do, if you are worried go in a convoy. We are not SPCC members but would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending that you go with them on one of their cruises.

I think the tide runs at around 3 mph so you should be able to make headway, just!

Weekend before last we went down to the barrier and then up to Teddington with a group of boats. I think at least two of them would not be able to get up to 4 mph but were perfectly able to do the journey with the tide and had the security of being in a convoy so help readily at hand but as they all had done their engine checks, checked they had enough fuel etc there was no trouble.

Don't miss out on what will be one of the best journeys you can do, if you are worried go in a convoy. We are not SPCC members but would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending that you go with them on one of their cruises.

The PLA claims that the tide runs between 3 and 4 knots, depending on various factors, such as location, wind, river condition, springs or neaps. Sensible people travel WITH the tide, so not being able to fight it shouldn't normally be a problem.

EXCEPT when going INTO Limehouse from Brentford. Experienced people do it by going straight in (so I am told), but the safe way is to turn and go against the tide. If you time it right (and it's not difficult), you can turn BEFORE the entrance and just shuffle sideways at 45 degrees or so.

For anchor cable, the best is all-chain IF you have a suitable winch. Most of us don't, so a mixture of chain and rope is required. The rope should be nylon, which stretches. Polyester (Terylene or Dacron) doesn't stretch, and is liable to tear bits off your boat. Not to mention bitts.

I don't think my boat will do 6 kts either. Most of the time on tidal rivers you're not trying to make headway against the current.

I said I wouldn't go on water that was doing 6 kts, no problem with 3mph. I wouldn't consider being out if I couldn't make any headway against the flow. IMO thats like driving down a motorway with only a hand break, you may be OK but then again!

4 knots is actually very slow.The vast majority of canal boats should be able to exceed that speed for short periods easily. Over a longer period, the engine and cooling system will be "tested". laugh.png

Not worried about my cooling system. Only getting to safety if the need arrises

I said I wouldn't go on water that was doing 6 kts, no problem with 3mph. I wouldn't consider being out if I couldn't make any headway against the flow. IMO thats like driving down a motorway with only a hand break, you may be OK but then again!

Not worried about my cooling system. Only getting to safety if the need arrises

A dodgy cooling system might prevent you from getting to safety. If you miss Limehouse, and don't find out for ten minutes, you will have covered one and a half miles (roughly). You will then have to make up the distance at 2 knots over the ground, which will take 40 minutes. That's plenty of time to discover that your thermostat doesn't open all the way.

I am assuming a speed down-river of four knots through the water, and a tide doing the same, so 8 knots over the ground. Coming back, the boat does 6 knots flat out, which is 2 over the ground.

You wouldn't be the first to miss Limehouse. All it needs is a distraction at the wrong moment.

A dodgy cooling system might prevent you from getting to safety. If you miss Limehouse, and don't find out for ten minutes, you will have covered one and a half miles (roughly). You will then have to make up the distance at 2 knots over the ground, which will take 40 minutes. That's plenty of time to discover that your thermostat doesn't open all the way.

I am assuming a speed down-river of four knots through the water, and a tide doing the same, so 8 knots over the ground. Coming back, the boat does 6 knots flat out, which is 2 over the ground.

You wouldn't be the first to miss Limehouse. All it needs is a distraction at the wrong moment.

If a boater's concentration or eyesight is so poor that they miss this then they shouldn't be on the river!

entrancetoLimearsebasin.jpg

I think most narrowboats would struggle to make it back a mile and a half against the current if it was running out fast. Last time I did it the lockkeeper told me not to go too far past the entrance before turning or I wouldn't make it back. That conversation certainly focused my mind on the turn! I think it was running out at about 5 or 6kts.

Edited by blackrose

If a boater's concentration or eyesight is so poor that they miss this then they shouldn't be on the river!

entrancetoLimearsebasin.jpg

I think most narrowboats would struggle to make it back a mile and a half against the current if it was running out fast. Last time I did it the lockkeeper told me not to go too far past the entrance before turning or I wouldn't make it back. That conversation certainly focused my mind on the turn! I think it was running out at about 5 or 6kts.

This might come as a surprise to you, old chap, but a large boat going in the other direction might block the view. A dramatic event occurring on the other side might distract you. There are lots of reasons why you might not be looking at the right moment, and consequently miss it.

I was once hit by a hailstorm so violent that I couldn't see for a while.

I was once hit by fog that prevented me seeing the front of the boat.

Both of these on the tidal Thames.

Events of the past few weeks not withstanding, it is not ALWAYS bright and sunny in Britain.

Edited by George94

This might come as a surprise to you, old chap, but a large boat going in the other direction might block the view. A dramatic event occurring on the other side might distract you. There are lots of reasons why you might not be looking at the right moment, and consequently miss it.

I was once hit by a hailstorm so violent that I couldn't see for a while.

I was once hit by fog that prevented me seeing the front of the boat.

Both of these on the tidal Thames.

Events of the past few weeks not withstanding, it is not ALWAYS bright and sunny in Britain.

Hi

I tend to agree. I have only been on the tideway a couple of times but concrete is concrete and any length of tall buildings looks much like any other. The entrance to Keadby off the Trent can also prove hard to find to someone who has never before been there although the ships that moor alongside it sometimes give a clue.

Tim

I know people have been missing Brentford recently but I had not realised Limehouse was a problem - if you see the Hilton / Canary Wharf piers then that should be a clue to turn back? That said I have just remembered that the first time we were due to go into Limehouse Sue took a Clipper down river in the week before to scout it out and make sure we would not miss it so perhaps just too familiar now?

• 1 month later...