Top Weekend Break Locations - Any suggestions?

GRLMK38

Featured Posts

We are planning a late availability Friday-Monday break over the 10th/11th August weekend.

What would you put on your Top 5 places to see? We would prefer the Midlands and North but are open to "must sees" around the country.

We have already excluded the Llangollen from Trevor to Whitchurch (that was last year) and anything on the Cheshire Ring (that's planned for September).

Early thoughts include the Leeds - Liverpool in the Skipton/Apperley Brdige area.....?

If you hire out boats and you have "special offers", we are looking for 5 berths captain.gif

Will do, my in laws live between there and Limoux, such a relaxed and chilled out area!!

And to be honest with the flight time between there and East Midlands airport, its just as quick as getting to Yorkshire in heavy traffic on the M1!

Dan

Shire cruisers are great boats. The newer ones with Isuzu engines are incredibly quiet, the older ones are still fantastic boats but the old air cooled lister deisels really are a bit noisy by modern standards. Have a great trip.!

Nick

Thanks everyone for your advice clapping.gif France sounds great but we have decided to try the Rochdale and C&H with Shire Cruisers.

This habit is getting expensive help.gif

Not as expensive as owning a boat though!! seriously though enjoy your holiday, it is a lovely way to relax, we had a month out mid May and now have 16 days coming up and wondering where to go. WE are on the River so lose one day getting up on the cut :-)

Canvey Island is quite nice, and cheap. Plenty of fish 'n' chips and nothing but Larger. smile.png

Its a shame no one does hire boats on or near the beautiful river Stort anymore.

Edited by bizzard

• 1 month later...

Had a great weekend in Yorkshire with Shire Cruisers (onboard nb Leicester complete with old Lister) and opted for 24 miles and 46 locks of the C&H and Huddersfield Broad Canal in favour of the Rochdale.

The route offers a bit of everything.....no rain, countryside, urban, canal and river. Hard work but worth it! The locomotive bridge is something special.

Thanks to Steve (nb Grumpy Gramps) for the warm welcome at Aspley Basin.

(At the risk of turning in to another Mr Grumpy - Is it me or do "community boats" have a different rule book to everyone else? C&H locals will know exactly who I am referring to)

Had a great weekend in Yorkshire with Shire Cruisers (onboard nb Leicester complete with old Lister) and opted for 24 miles and 46 locks of the C&H and Huddersfield Broad Canal in favour of the Rochdale.

The route offers a bit of everything.....no rain, countryside, urban, canal and river. Hard work but worth it! The locomotive bridge is something special.

Thanks to Steve (nb Grumpy Gramps) for the warm welcome at Aspley Basin.

(At the risk of turning in to another Mr Grumpy - Is it me or do "community boats" have a different rule book to everyone else? C&H locals will know exactly who I am referring to)

Glad you liked it. If you hire there again, I'd recommend going t'other way up to the Rochdale summit. Lots of locks but, in my opinion, outdoes the Llangollen for spectacular scenery. The villages of Hebden Bridge, Todmorden and Summit are delightful too.

• 3 weeks later...