Somebody moved my boat !

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

I moved a boat - it was moored on the opposite side to me and I decided to move it down the canal about 100ft. I move it because I felt like moving it. I didn't feel like mooring it up again for the 4th time that day as I had the day before. I moved it on to a stretch of arnco pilling.

My boat has never been 'moved' except at a working boatyard were that is not an issue...

I would want to know why somebody bothered to move it - sounds as if there was a good stretch empty just a liitle further ahead.

if there was a pretty good reason then fair enough, otherwise I would take exception to somebody 'arranging' boats to their liking - maybe I am too laid back and tend to accept what I find rather than fiddling with other peoples stuff?!

When you move someone's boat, you are taking responsibility for it. If a boat has broken its mooring, that's one thing, and helpful to redo the moorings and secure the boat. Moving a boat for convenience wouldn't be a good reason, IMO.

Boats, mooring, unmooring and moving on can create any number of different space sizes; it's just the way the cookey crumbles.

No one will ever moor the same way, and may be rubbish moorers or better. I would leave other boats alone.

No there isn't normally a 'free-for-all' on the towpath. My reading of this situation is that this group of boaters are taking the p!ss big time having discovered they are not getting challenged by CRT for overstaying.

You say they mentioned a 'relaxed attitude' to overstaying on this site. Whose attitude is 'relaxed'? CRT's presumably. These boaters' attitude seems to me to be more like 'this is OUR mooring and you are the interloper, so we feel free to shuffle you off the best bit which you seem to have bagged while we were busy doing something else'.

My gut feeling is these CMers need to be moved on by CRT or they will probably continue with this low level harassment of non-liveaboard visitors, never mind the fact that they seem almost proud and boastful that they are getting away with flouting their licence terms and conditions. Who is to say had you not come back when you did, your boat would not have migrated even further up the cut? My guess is they are slowly colonising this sweet spot by the tube station, shops etc and are beginning to regard it as their own private stretch of mooring, which is why they felt free to move you out of their way.

No doubt I'll get slaughtered for saying this, but it is how it looks to me from your descriptions of the situation....

MtB

Here Here that man, based upon the descriptions as you say.

I guess, passing through, I'd give them the benefit and forget it.

If staying, and putting pins down for six months...I might choose to move them...or talk.

It's a 14 day mooring we are discussing!

MtB

I guess, passing through, I'd give them the benefit and forget it.

If staying, and putting pins down for six months...I might choose to move them...or talk.

It's a 14 day mooring we are discussing!

MtB

We assume its a 14 day mooring.

If I needed to stay longer I would assert myself and move the other overstayers if need be.

I am now getting seriously confused. Is it just me?

No there isn't normally a 'free-for-all' on the towpath. My reading of this situation is that this group of boaters are taking the p!ss big time having discovered they are not getting challenged by CRT for overstaying.

I'm afraid we have to own up to another boat moving incident this weekend.......

I'm afraid (gasp, horror), we had to move "Reginald".....

Well it was tied up to the outside of us, and rather suspect you didn't want us taking "Reg" with us when we went!....

I'm afraid we have to own up to another boat moving incident this weekend.......

I'm afraid (gasp, horror), we had to move "Reginald".....

Well it was tied up to the outside of us, and rather suspect you didn't want us taking "Reg" with us when we went!....

Lol I was wondering who was responsible for those knots... biggrin.png

MtB