Kelvin K3

Featured Posts

OK all. I've lost the plot and gone and found a Kelvin K3.

All I've got to do now is find someone to build the boat around it.

A serious beast - I thought the JP3 was a lump but this is exceptional. 3 cyl, 12 litre, 66hp. 6 feet long, 5 feet high. Flat out 750 rpm. Ticks over at 80 - 100 rpm. A sound to die for! Don't think I'll need to much ballast as it weighs 1.5 tonnes.

Do I need a white coat with the wrap around sleeves?

A serious beast - I thought the JP3 was a lump but this is exceptional. 3 cyl, 12 litre, 66hp. 6 feet long, 5 feet high. Flat out 750 rpm. Ticks over at 80 - 100 rpm. A sound to die for! Don't think I'll need to much ballast as it weighs 1.5 tonnes.

Only one boat that, that engine can go into and that is a 70' Northwich Trader, R.W.Davis, Saul Junction, Phil Trotter is putting Kelvins in all the time, and they look great in the engine room.

Best engine needs the best boat.

Only one boat that, that engine can go into and that is a 70' Northwich Trader, R.W.Davis, Saul Junction, Phil Trotter is putting Kelvins in all the time, and they look great in the engine room.

Without a doubt Phil is your man, fantastic boats wish I had one

Martin

Hi

Congrat's, also somthing like a RW.Davis N.trader would look great saw one of them with the fully, (imitation of course but looked great), riveted cabin and hull a week or two ago, only pity was it had a Gardner spoiling the look.

Just in case anyone starts to give me earache over saying that it's only in jest, if you go to the Kelvin and Vintage engine rally's Gardner and Kelvin people have great rivalry but all in the best of humor and are the best of mates. A Gardner 4LW and a K2 fought the tug of war final to a draw (the K3 lost to a Lister I think, but the K3 is a little to big for the shallow water and never able to use all it's torque until it gets on the rivers etc).

If you don't already know it try the Kelvin site below

http://www.engine-digest.info/

David

R W Davis is on the short list - a bit heavy on the rivits? - (just an initial opinion). As is Johnathon Wilson and Norton Canes Boatbuilders (mind you Grahams a Gardner man and he's trying to convince that the K3 is to big and I need a Gardner!)

What a misson!

- As you say, all you need now is the boat...

Somthing heavy, 25tonnes maybe, with a huge 30inch well oversquare prop...

Daniel

I'm not so sure about the 30" prop Daniel. I don't want to use her for water skiing. Put her in reverse and I'll empty the canal!

I was thinking more on the lines of 26 x 26

Steve

Now thats an engine!

We have a guy here in our marina with one and its a real beast thats in a 70footer

Ads

Who else out there has a K3 in a boat. I need some help with engine room design and it would be a shame to re-invent the wheel.

Size/plans/speed wheel/gearchange setup/shaft and prop arrangements? - anything would be useful

Steve

Hi

Congrat's, also somthing like a RW.Davis N.trader would look great saw one of them with the fully, (imitation of course but looked great), riveted cabin and hull a week or two ago, only pity was it had a Gardner spoiling the look.

Just in case anyone starts to give me earache over saying that it's only in jest, if you go to the Kelvin and Vintage engine rally's Gardner and Kelvin people have great rivalry but all in the best of humor and are the best of mates. A Gardner 4LW and a K2 fought the tug of war final to a draw (the K3 lost to a Lister I think, but the K3 is a little to big for the shallow water and never able to use all it's torque until it gets on the rivers etc).

If you don't already know it try the Kelvin site below

http://www.engine-digest.info/

David

Interesting you should say about the river. Most of our weekend cruising is in the Thames. It would be most upsetting for the airfix kits to be overtaken by a NB at 600 rpm! Plenty of depth to give her some work!

Steve

I'm not so sure about the 30" prop Daniel. I don't want to use her for water skiing. Put her in reverse and I'll empty the canal!

- I was thinking more on the lines of 26 x 26

Yeah, well that all do.

- We've got a 26*32 on emilyanne, which i do admit emptys the canal quite enough!

Daniel

R W Davis is on the short list - a bit heavy on the rivits? - (just an initial opinion). As is Johnathon Wilson and Norton Canes Boatbuilders (mind you Grahams a Gardner man and he's trying to convince that the K3 is to big and I need a Gardner!)

Don't forget Barry Hawkins :D

I told joe that "someone on CWF has got a K3, and is looking to build a boat around it"

- As in, the've got the engine, and are now looking for hull to put it in.

He said "yeah, thats the best way with a K3" "baseplate first, then the engine, then the rest of boat onto that!"

lol! :D

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

I told joe that "someone on CWF has got a K3, and is looking to build a boat around it"

- As in, the've got the engine, and are now looking for hull to put it in.

He said "yeah, thats the best way with a K3" "baseplate first, then the engine, then the rest of boat onto that!"

Daniel

Don't have a boat built round it,,build the boat and have the engine go in through the roof,, the proper way to do it, run away from any builder that say differant,, if you need to set the engine up and in the proper size engine room, prop size, etc/etc..THEN

Phil Trotter R.W.Davis

He's just doing a boat and the guy has his own Kelvin and phil is putting it in for him,,like you built the boat to fit the engine.

Fretman

Who else out there has a K3 in a boat. I need some help with engine room design and it would be a shame to re-invent the wheel.

Size/plans/speed wheel/gearchange setup/shaft and prop arrangements? - anything would be useful

Hi

Glad to hear your cruising ground is the Thames, the K 3 should go like a bird there (my J3 came from a workboat of Websters of Gravesend worked the deepwater mooring as a supply/service boat around there)

Have you tried the link my other mail to the engine digest put your request on there, I know of two K3's but don't have address's etc.

david

P.S. K.Whittle is trying to convince someone to buy the K4 he has and I quote "be the first on the canal with a K4" now that is well over the top.

Don't have a boat built round it,,build the boat and have the engine go in through the roof,, the proper way to do it, run away from any builder that say differant,, if you need to set the engine up and in the proper size engine room...

Yeah for sure, im quite sure he wasnt acctaully being serous!

I think the best way is to have the boat built round the engine, you can always have a hole cut later if you have to remove it in one bit, and all you are doing by having a hatch in the roof is making a place for leaks with bolts and lips to trip you up.

I installed my engine into my boat before the cabin was put on, the builders premises had a very convenient gantry crane, I lifted if straight in one Sunday morning. Made things very easy.

The only downside you must wrap up your pride and joy very carefully so you don't get rough builder chaps climbing all over it with their big boots.

Edited by John Orentas

I installed my engine into my boat before the cabin was put on, the builders premises had a very convenient gantry crane, I lifted if straight in one Sunday morning. Made things very easy.

The only downside you must wrap up your pride and joy very carefully so you don't get rough builder chaps climbing all over it with their big boots.

We have a bolted panel in the engine room roof, It breaks up the roof (visually) to good effect, no leaks so far. That was the way the engine went in after the boat went into the water (20 mins with hooks on a forf lift) . I was allowing for us to change the Perkins for something more classic. Mind you the way things have worked out that's very unlikely now! but I do have peace of mind if I need the whole issue out for any reason :D

I think the best way is to have the boat built round the engine, you can always have a hole cut later if you have to remove it in one bit, and all you are doing by having a hatch in the roof is making a place for leaks with bolts and lips to trip you up.

Theres not reason at all why you cant get it to seal.

- You see loads out on the cut, steel sheet with 400 csk allan head bolts, and a good layer of sikaflex, job done.

- Or do it like we're done ours, with a steel upstand welded round the 'hole' and roll over the edge of the "engine room roof". Thus your relying souly on gravity, and can take it on/off as often as you like without hassle.

Daniel

Steve

I locked down through the Chilterns a few years ago with a tug that had a huge 3 cylinder Kelvin. I cannot remember the name of the boat or the owner, but I do remember that the boat was moored in Aylesbury Basin. It might be worth contacting the Aylesbury Canal Society to see if they can put you in contact with the owner. They have a web site at:- http://www.aylesburycanal.org.uk

Edited by David Schweizer

There are several boatbuilders who are capable of building a suitable shell for a K3 - apart from RW Davies you might like to try Barry Hawkins (Northwich Trader style, heavy, with experience of fitting vintage engines) or Canal Transport Services of Norton Canes - they built my boat for a K1 and have fitted K3s before - a good heavy shell, very easy people to get on with and cost less than RW Davies.