Kelvin K3

Featured Posts

Theres not reason at all why you cant get it to seal.

- You see loads out on the cut, steel sheet with 400 csk allan head bolts, and a good layer of sikaflex, job done.

- Or do it like we're done ours, with a steel upstand welded round the 'hole' and roll over the edge of the "engine room roof". Thus your relying souly on gravity, and can take it on/off as often as you like without hassle.

Daniel

Interesting comments about the wether to building the boat around the engine or the engine in after. Its a bit of a dilema. I think a lot of it will depend on build timescales. The engine is basically sound but I was going to give it a good going over before installation. She needs a full repaint and a lot of cosmetic work as a minimum. Any work that needs doing is easier done in my warm garage with plenty of light and room. 'Her in doors' wants the NB build to start as soon as a builder (once selected) can. The engine might not be ready to supply.

K3 install instructions advise a hole minimum 6' x 2' 9" to fit engine through. Plus she weighs 3000lbs. Thats a big hole to subsequently span with a plate.

The worry in supplying the engine prior to building is what happens during the construction phase. Theres a lot of sparks, metal dust from grinders etc, etc. I would hate to think of her first breath as being one full of grinding dust!

Dilema's, Dilema's :mellow::captain::D:D

Go and see Roger Farington ( Ivy Bridge Marine at bottom lock, Braunston). He's beeen building boats since forever, has built a few for Kelvin K's and will do what YOU want. However, you must know what you want, or know what you aren't sure about as he has a limited capacity for being beggared about. Oh and you'll need some money.

Six feet by 2 foot nine is a minor hole in a NB roof- the sides are close enough to make it easy to support and once the K3 is in you won't need to worry about it coming out. Anything you will need to do can be done in the engine ole and anything you can't do means you need a different engine, so it'll be time to take the K3 to bits and use em for mud weights.

If the job's done well then the engine will be well taped up before it's put in ( don't forget the holes on the sides of the rocker covers, oil cap and both air inlets) so when all is completed it's only a case of hoovering out the dirt.

N

Go and see Roger Farington ( Ivy Bridge Marine at bottom lock, Braunston). He's beeen building boats since forever, has built a few for Kelvin K's and will do what YOU want. However, you must know what you want, or know what you aren't sure about as he has a limited capacity for being beggared about. Oh and you'll need some money.

Six feet by 2 foot nine is a minor hole in a NB roof- the sides are close enough to make it easy to support and once the K3 is in you won't need to worry about it coming out. Anything you will need to do can be done in the engine ole and anything you can't do means you need a different engine, so it'll be time to take the K3 to bits and use em for mud weights.

If the job's done well then the engine will be well taped up before it's put in ( don't forget the holes on the sides of the rocker covers, oil cap and both air inlets) so when all is completed it's only a case of hoovering out the dirt.

N

Yes I would more than reccomend Roger. He can build anything ! He built us what WE wanted, understood what we were trying to do and it wasn't the usual --- most of our clients like this (because its the easy way) :D

We ( after trying many other builders) had a very good idea of just what we wanted and I'm sure that is what Roger appreciated from us ( I don't think he likes vague unformed ideas.... )

As I mentioned before our roof hatch is fine, if heavy, there is a fair bit of framing to it. It certainly squelched the sealant when I inadvertently nudged it off the blocks I had it propped up on!

In truth I suspect Roger designed more of the boat than we did. We just told him what we wanted of some detail and a littlel while later he would take me to another boat, usually an old woking boat, and suggest "somthing like this?"

Best of luck

John

Yeah, Roger Fuller is certainly a good bloke, and from what ive seen he deffornatly makes some very nice boats.

- Eather way who every you go with or think you might go with, just arrange to see them and there work, talk over it with them, see what they say.

There website is currently in need of a bit of a makeover, but in the mean time, it does still have some all right content on it, as well as photos of there work.

http://www.spurstow.com/rogerfuller/

http://www.grannybuttons.com/boat of the week.html

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

A serious beast - I thought the JP3 was a lump but this is exceptional. 3 cyl, 12 litre, 66hp. 6 feet long, 5 feet high. Flat out 750 rpm. Ticks over at 80 - 100 rpm. A sound to die for! Don't think I'll need to much ballast as it weighs 1.5 tonnes.

Congratulations - you have made a sound investment!

We have completed just under a thousand miles this year with our K3 including the Severn Estuary and Tidal Thames. Fuel consumption has worked out at less than 2 litres an hour on average and is usually half this on canals. There is no visible smoke exhaust (except when revving in reverse for an unplanned stop) and the rythm of the engine is always an absolute delight. Our only major problem was the failure of the CAV diesel injection pump - one of the few components not made by Kelvin!

If we may be permitted to offer a few words of advice; our prop is a three bladed 24" X 24" and this works very well for us - giving about 8 Knots at 600 rpm on rivers and a sensible 4 mph at 300 rpm on most canals. It is small enough to slow us down to less than 2 mph at tickover when passing moored boats and large enough to stop the boat in half its own length when necessary. We have adjusted the regulator stops to limit the engine to 600 rpm with a minimum idle speed of 120 rpm - it will go slower but there is a danger that at very slow speeds, insufficient lubrication will reach those 9 inch bores.

We did a lot of research into boat builders and from a short list that included Barry Hawkins and Roger Fuller, we settled on R W Davis. In the event we were able to buy our boat secondhand thrpough R W Davis - it was Phil Trotter's prototype - now ten years old and we are totally satisfied with it. The build quality of the 'Northwich Traders' would be difficult to match anywhere and the way the boat handles makes us look like experienced professionals. Phils knows how to build a superb vessel and although not cheap, you would certainly get good value for money - he also has knows how to install a Kelvin engine properly.

Good luck with your project!

I think the best way is to have the boat built round the engine, you can always have a hole cut later if you have to remove it in one bit, and all you are doing by having a hatch in the roof is making a place for leaks with bolts and lips to trip you up.

I would agree with that richard our boat was built around the engine, and particularly with a large

unstressed engine that is properly rebuilt there should be no need for any major surgery for at least

50 years!.

Ours is a 1953 Lister Fr6 and i see no rason why it would need to come out in my lifetime!

Did someone mention tug of war??

Talking of Roger's. Roger Fuller at Stone is in the top flight. All his boats seem to be fitted Kelvins and other exotic lumps. Boats look beautifull though he seems to be a miserable character.

Very interesting and experienced, maybe a bit dour but not miserable. Loves his engines and has

a great collection of OTT engines at the yard, which he runs up from time to time.

Including a massive 8L3 Gardner. Also has another FR6, tiny in comparison to the 8L3 Saw them all running at one of his owners gatherings a couple

of years ago. have some pictures if anyones intersted

Dave

...Including a massive 8L3 Gardner...

Yeah, that things HUGE isnt it, not seen it running yet tho! Of a backup pumping system or somthing is it (or that one of there other engines)

- But as you say, certainly not a grumpy fellow, never when ive seen him anyway. Serously knows his stuff tho!

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Well - I've got a K1 in a Canal Transport Services shell - I can't recommend them highly enough - great to work with - super steelwork and they have experience of fitting big Kelvins. I agree with the idea of putting the engine in via a roof panel although my boat was built around the engine, I do have a removable panel for taking the engine out - best of both worlds. Oh yes - the panel doesn't leak either!

Stuart

nb Catkin