Armco

system 4-50

Featured Posts

Where can I acquire some Armco, legitimately? And cheaply?

I'd like to make a nameplate to improve my chances of finding my mooring unoccupied when I return. A piece of Armco would fit nicely on top of the existing Armco, not be too visually intrusive, and be less of an obstacle for the Strimmers.

I'd like to make a nameplate to improve my chances of finding my mooring unoccupied when I return. A piece of Armco would fit nicely on top of the existing Armco, not be too visually intrusive, and be less of an obstacle for the Strimmers.

A quick google of 'Armco suppliers' brings up a few names, a quick call perhaps to get an off cut/spare bit.

Or a local authority Highways dept. may have some cheap off cuts.

Here's some on Ebay but I don't know if you'd be able to get short lengths.

Ebay Clicky

It might be worth asking your County Council highways department (if it hasn't been privatised).

When I was a Highways engineer I'd have had a dig around the depot scrap pile for such a request.

Or a local authority Highways dept. may have some cheap off cuts.

No such thing as off-cuts, for public highway use at least. They have to be installed as whole lengths.

Just as an interesting (or not so) aside Armco is a trade name for one type of crash barrier and their stuff is not used on the public highway as it doesn't meet the required standards.

The stuff on the roads that looks like "Armco" is actually called "Tensioned corrugated safety barrier" hence the popular adoption of a trade name as a generic, like "Hoover".

That would work if the Armco was the same as the motorway barriers - it isn't

Cross-posted

The roadside barrier acquired the generic name thanks to Murray Walker's repeated use of the word when racing cars bounced off the stuff.

And 'tensioned corrugated safety barrier' isn't formed with interlocking loops to make a continuous piling

I'm not sure what you mean by "interlocking loops" but this is how TSB is joined..

Tensioned-Corrugated-Beam-Barriers.jpg

Is there a "right stuff" when using safety barrier to make a mooring nameplate?

Yes:

{snip} A piece of Armco would fit nicely on top of the existing Armco,{snip}

I guess it could be the horizontal banding he wants:

DSCF8914.jpg

Is that the same as the Highways stuff?

Richard

Is that the same as the Highways stuff?

Richard

No it's the wrong profile and doesn't look "tensionable"

It may be acceptable as "untensioned " barrier but where untensioned corrugated was appropriate my contractors just used "tensioned" but bolted it up using the holes rather than the slots.

The usual "untensioned" stuff was a completely different profile that I can't find a decent image of.

SetHeight500-Sologuard-M6-Lancaster-Serv

Another alternative. Learn to paint upside down?

I've seen that done effectively but I'd have fenders on the mooring, rather than on the boat, to protect the paint when coming in to land.

No such thing as off-cuts, for public highway use at least. They have to be installed as whole lengths.

Badly worded - I was thinking more 'unused bits' rather than cutting.

That said I have seen what look like sections being cut 'on site' BUT this was on a hospital site so I guess subject to less stringent installation specifications than a public highway/road.

cold-formed-sheet-pile-wru.jpg

Picking one kind of piling at random, notice the loops at the edges to interlock them

Richard

That's piling sheet

There's a CaRT maintenance flat just down from me that's got a fair few miles of the stuff in it. The horizontal strip and the vertical stuff

ninja.gif

Edited by Proper Job

That's piling sheet

There's a CaRT maintenance flat just down from me that's got a fair few miles of the stuff in it. The horizontal strip and the vertical stuff

ninja.gif

Your mission should you choose to accept it is.....

You need some galvanised sheet piling waling rail- try a piling contractor like Land and Water or Greenfords. Greenfords in particular may have some short left overs at the new marina on the Coventry, at Cropredy or Aylesbury.

N

The stuff CART use is called trench sheeting, a lightweight version of the sheet piling that is used for heavy retaining walls and docksides.

The horizontal member is called the waling, and should be tied back at intervals along the wall by tie rods fixed to anchorages in the ground behind. This stops the wall from tipping forward at the top under the ground pressure from behind it.

The commonest causes of piling failure on the canals are failing to drive the piles deep enough to anchor their bottom ends (toes) adequately, or failing to tie the walings back properly.

As others have already said, Armco is something else entirely, though the company of that name may well make piling as well as crash barriers for all I know.

And what? huh.png

And why does that affect upside down painting the name?

Added today:

Right, I get the drift of your response to my original upside down paint post. You were agreeing with me, but added that you then would protect it by putting fenders on the mooring! A big " Duh!" for me.

Sorry.

Edited by Spuds