Houdini Hatches in Narrowboats

Guest PeterV

Featured Posts

Guest PeterV

Having been on narrowboats over the years the heat inside can get oppressive if you moor closed up in the sun.

I know that mooring in the shade is the best answer but that is often not possible.

I am buying a narrowboat and one option is to have a Houdini Hatch fitted.

From my experience of a car sun roof they do let out stored heat very effectively but equally a glass sun roof can also make the situation worse.

Is a Houdini Hatch a good idea or a bad idea & why?

Having been on narrowboats over the years the heat inside can get oppressive if you moor closed up in the sun.

I know that mooring in the shade is the best answer but that is often not possible.

I am buying a narrowboat and one option is to have a Houdini Hatch fitted.

From my experience of a car sun roof they do let out stored heat very effectively but equally a glass sun roof can also make the situation worse.

Is a Houdini Hatch a good idea or a bad idea & why?

I have seen several boats with them fitted, I have an steel hatch in the bedroom as an escape hatch ( there are no forward doors) and this is excellent for letting air in/out.

My only comment on glass hatches is that if my sailing experience is anything to go by on cooler nights they can drip condensation, so could be best to go for double glazed, the frame might still be a problem though.

J

Edited by idleness

Hi PeterV and welcome to the forum.

It's always worth trying a search first on any subject (top right, Gallery, Help, Search etc.)

Having said that, I was surprised there wasn't more on Houdinis (but I only searched titles). This might help though:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1453

From personal experience, we don't have one on our boat but have plenty of mushrooms vents, and a sliding window in the galley, and I don't think a hatch would be beneficial.

However, on a hire boat, in August, with less mushrooms and top hopper type windows, we found the Houdini hatch in the galley to be very welcome.

So I guess “you pays your money and takes your pick” but it would help to know what other ventilation you are planning, and windows or portholes?

edit: and what colour you're painting the roof.

Edited by Moley

We have them, and there great.

- Infact, we used to only have one, but then replaced the engineroom pigeon box with one too, and are planning to reaplce the other one in the long term.

They let in loads of light, they provide good ventilation, and they can be fully closed to an airtight seal. (not leaks or midges)

- Get nice big ones, 18inch square or somthing.

Daniel

Just had a survey done today and the very helpful surveyor warned me off houdini hatches because of water sealing problems - final comment was if you insist go ahead but dont site it above your bed!!!!

Surveyor i would recommend highly - Trevor Whitling - Whitling Marine Crick

Scrumpy Lurcher

Beware advice from surveyors - I have found that they all have pet hobbyhorses, which is based on their particular experiences. In the same way, that you would probably not base your decision on the views of one forum member, treat surveyors the same.

We have Houdini hatches and they seal fine.

You do get a bit of condensation from them, but its not a problem as long as they are not over your bed

or soft furnishings. They are great at letting heat out. We have mesh netting over ours in the summer to keep the bugs out when the lights are on. We also have blinds on the bedroom one as the light tends to wake you up early in summer.

I remembering having a conversation about Houdini Hatches with Gary up at Ledgard Bridge some time ago.

I'm sure that he would certainly have something to add to this topic with regard to security for people with Houdini Hatches or anyone else considering having them fitted.

Over to you Gary.

Tobytimothy

Having had boats both with and without houdini hatches in the galley area, I would go for the houdini hatch every time from now on (both boats also had side doors in the galley vicinity).

I nearly always have the hatch open when cooking (even in the depths of winter) and find that there is a lot less build up of steam and condensation inside the boat compared to the boat with no HH.

We've never really had a problem with them causing condestaion and drips. Certianly no worse than the windows.

- We also have lots of windows, many of which are hopper top, and left open 24/7 even when no on the boat. The others are slidding windows, which i also recomend.

- Then we have two side hatches, and a front hatch. Which are open all day in summer. See photo here linky

In terms of leaking. They have been very good.

- The engine room one is 8years old, and never been a problem.

- The slightly smaller galley one is not 16 years old, and been fine.

- It unfortalty did start to leak a little last winter, between the frame and the glass, around the stay screws. The sealent is a little shot, and ideal would be replaced. However, it is 16 years old, and has been temperatly fixed with "creaping crack cure" (nice...)

Daniel

..... very helpful surveyor warned me off houdini hatches because of water sealing problems

I think there are a number of companies making 'Houdini' hatches, so the design and quality will vary. A bit like an unbranded 'Hoover' Vacuum cleaner.

Houdini Marine manufacture Houdini hatches Houdini-marine web site. Since they are designed for sea going vessels they are very waterproof…. But as said, not advisable to install over a bed etc. as even the double glazed ones will drip condensation. We have a double glazed one, and like all aluminium window frames, the frame condensates over in cold weather.

Ian

DB Elessina

We had a houdini fitted from new in the galley area. It's excellent way of ventilating when the heat from cooking gets a bit much - both in summer and winter. Although this has been in our boat for ten years, I can't say we have suffered much from either condensation or from an leaks at all. But the bonus of having that extra escape route if required coupled with a splash of sunlight into the cabin area is great.

If we were building again, we would certainly go for a houdini hatch - no question.

Philip

I think there are a number of companies making 'Houdini' hatches, so the design and quality will vary. A bit like an unbranded 'Hoover' Vacuum cleaner.

Houdini Marine manufacture Houdini hatches Houdini-marine web site. Since they are designed for sea going vessels they are very waterproof….

Yeah, thats also very true.

- I should have mentioned, ours are the ones from midland swindelers, which i beleave are made in italy.

- Its also worth mentioning that spare friction-struts are avalable from them should they be need. £30 a pair. *

*The struts on the smaller hatch have done 15years frequent use fine.

- However the larger hatch uses the same struts, which are a little under engineered.

- Also, there proberbly fine for normal use. However we have end up raising/lowering ours 20+ times a day (most bridges) on a hotday, and it fouls with the funnel in its down possition. All this causes them to ware faster than usuall Although they still did 5/6years. On cooler days we just leave it half-opened.

Daniel