Midland chandlers paint, any one used it?

Featured Posts

Hang on...

It has some impressive warnings on the tin. Contains COBALT NEODECANOATE, ETHYL METHYL KETOXIME. That's a class A drug, isn't it?

Yes, white spirit based

Richard

I used it about nine years ago and it was fine then. Lasted a few years before being rubbed down and painted with International house paint, which is also fine for canal boats. MC paint was an oil base when I used it.

I've used it on two boats in the last 8 months, (one of which I had to paint in very low temperatures) and achieved good results with a high gloss finish - I found it to have plenty of pigment (I used British Racing Green and Bounty - red), good consistency and with the addition of about 10% Owatrol as a conditioner giving a longer time to keep the wet edge going, it was fine. I was really satisfied with the finish after 3 coats. The second coat was flatted back with a slow speed sander and 320 grit. It worked for me. I also like that it comes in a one litre can as opposed to 750ml. I'd use it again but I have read disparaging comments from others elsewhere in the forums.

Good luck

I used some the other day to paint a pair of bolt croppers. Needed two coats but is ok. Don't know about longevity or resistance to knocks yet.

For gearboxes, I usually plan on three thin(ish) coats. My first coat is to adhere to the primer and make a surface for the next coats to stick to

Richard

Thanks for all your replies, we plan on using royal or oxford blue so hopefully it won't fade like the red & we also plan to thin with owatrol. Need this fine weather to continue but the motorway bridge near Preston Brook ( & midland chandlers !) could come in useful wink.png

I was going to say, certainly last time I bought some (must be 6years ago now, minimum) the rebranding was in the form of a paper label over the old, so a few weeks left in the rain it was very obvious who the original supplier was, although i cant now remember the name.

It was the yellow gloss we had, and its last fine, although while we probably ort to have been using sign writing paint for the task in hand (coach lines) it needed a good dose of white to get it anywhere near covering.

Daniel