New boat with rod

Featured Posts

My background is fly fishing also and although I do coarse fish on the canals I'm far from an expert.

The link below should provide the basics.

As always, the devil is in the detail and there seem to be loads of gizmos in the world of coarse fishing so I suggest when you pop along to a tackle shop to buy floats / weights, you ask. A thing to help whip spade end hooks, for example.

Groundbaiting and loose feeding are part of the game that will be new to you and getting these right seem to be crucial - according to a match winning pal at work - something else to read up on or ask about in the shop.

Cheers

Graham

http://www.fish-uk.com/tackle_fishing_floats.htm

You might be able to do some research on the internet or buy a book suitable for fishing novices. I found something that might be useful to start you off http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/how-to/Coarse-fishing-advice/Fishing-Tips2/Fishing-Charts--Guides/Guide-to-float-fishing-shotting-patterns/

My advice would be to keep it simple at the beginning Geoff. Fish close the the boat, find the depth under your rod tip to begin with, set the float to that depth, drop your float in, chuck a small handful of free offerings in around your float, sit back and enjoy your day.

You never know you might catch a fish - but if you set out to just enjoy your day the catching of a fish becomes a bonus and you are less likely to be frustrated

Edited by Bazza2

Hi i normally go fly fishing so be patient !

Got a new boat and found a course rod and reel on it but no other bits, so daft question is how do i tie a float on, and weight.

Make sure you get a good float - I had one that kept sinking!!!tongue.png

Alex

Brilliant thanks for the advice, but what size hooks would you use

Depends what you are using for bait. For sweetcorn or small cubes of luncheon meat, size 16 for one grain, 12 or 14 for 2 grains. For double maggot size 16 or 18. For single maggot size 18 or 20.

I would urge you to only buy barbless hooks too.

You can buy hooks pre-tied to nylon which will get you going while you practise using a hook tyer. Any good tackle shop should teach you how to use one if you ask them nicely.

Also, it is a lot of fun to tie a #16 or 18 hook onto your leader, roll cast your fly line, and ground bait as above.

I do this quite often, persuading myself that it is good roll casting practice :-)

NB You can catch coarse fish on wet fly, I used to do that a lot. Black gnat for dace, any bushy fly for chub.

If you can get the fish competing, you can use fly rod to send out a single maggot on a sinking leader.

Not much room for a back cast however on a canal.

For small fish on a canal I would use what used to be 3lb mainline (but they rate it by diameter now so whatever the new equivalent is - tackle shop will advise). I would use about 2lb or 1.5lb (it's diametric equivalent) for hook lengths.

Buy your main line in 100m spool. When you put it on the spool the line should lie about 2mm below the spool's lip. because all spools are different in width and depth it is impossible to say how much to buy. You could buy a cheap spool of stronger line to put on your spool first as backing but only experimentation will tell you how much to use.

A good tackle shop will advise you and should be more than happy to answer your questions because they want you to enjoy your fishing so you keep coming back for more stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Can you fish off the boat ,With out a fishing licence.

No - even if you have a lake or pond in your own land you need an EA rod licence to fish.

If you get caught without, the fines are very large too. (Not much chance of getting caught it must be said but every now and then there is a purge).

In addition to the basic mandatory EA license, some waters are privately run and you either need to be a club member or pay a day ticket.

Edited by mark99

So boaters pay a licence for the boat. Then if they fish off the boat we pay again, Plus a local rod licence.

Does a boat need a tv license too.

Its just another way of collecting tax.

So boaters pay a licence for the boat. Then if they fish off the boat we pay again, Plus a local rod licence.

Does a boat need a tv license too.

Its just another way of collecting tax.

CART boat licence = upkeep of navigation.

EA rod licence = upkeep of fisheries all of which is ploughed into maintaining fisheries, fish stocks etc.

Does not go into Gov coffers.

I hate tax as much as anyone - the highest cheque I ever signed to the taxman was £240,000 (corporation tax) - but rod licence is strictly not a tax.

Mark

Edited by mark99

Can you fish off the boat ,With out a fishing licence.

Yes you can, but if you get caught fishing without a licence you'll probably get a fine.

I think you meant to ask a slightly different question :)

MtB