Conversation with 'helpful' engine restorer

starman

Featured Posts

Me on phone: "Have you got the leather washers for a Lister JPM water pump"

Asks across workshop then replies "Yes we've got one pair left"

Me: "I'll come and have them then."

Drive for an hour through pouring rain and motorway closure.

"I've come for the leather washers"

Rummages through assorted packets - "looks like we haven't got any."

"But when I phoned an hour ago you said you had some..."

"I thought we had but we haven't - only the neoprene ones."

(Notice the absence of any apology.)

Ah well, at least we can sort out our paint issue - two cans of engine paint that had turned out to be quite different shades of green.

"This paint is mixed you know; you can't guarantee the same exact shades. And it will darken with age."

Okay, well just open another can and let's compare - what a surprise, it's the correct shade. Restorer hands over new can muttering "we'll have to take the hit on that one then."

Customer leaves with poor substitute (but still expensive) neoprene washers and new paint vowing never to return. I'll leave you to guess where we went.

I can think of only two people who might stock such items, MES and Redshaw's, and both are far more professional than that.

Don't be too sure. (BTW I don't think MES do restoration any more, just parts supply).

Well it was not US !

thats for certain

Plus Starman would have got a bit of banter and discount.....

No we do not have any leather washers however OUR neoprene ones are as good and last as long.not a cheap inferior copy

also Peter stamps them to correct centre diameter !

Chris

I wonder where he went to:::::::

Well it was not US !

thats for certain

Plus Starman would have got a bit of banter and discount.....

No we do not have any leather washers however OUR neoprene ones are as good and last as long.not a cheap inferior copy

also Peter stamps them to correct centre diameter !

Chris

I wonder where he went to:::::::

No, it certainly wasn't you Chris - but now you've got me worried about centre diameter...I guess I'll find that out when I take the pump apart and compare!

And do neoprene ones last as long as leather? I remember reading someone on CWF saying that they didn't like hot temperatures and hadn't lasted long on an engine - like ours - with a thermostat.

PS I always get the banter but we'll have to have a chat about that discount smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Footnote: the seals from a certain helpful restorer turned out to have the wrong diameter centre holes and were slightly small in overall diameter too. Fortunately Marine Engine Services were able to supply the right ones. (I know, should have gone there in the first place, Chris.)

The pump - which was thoroughly knackered in every department - has now been totally rebuilt by the remarkably talented Tim Leech. Thanks Tim. It's now back on the engine and pumping well.

Edited by starman