Need a bunch of rope curtain ties and had this idea.

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Looking for rope curtain tie backs on the boat and firstly couldn't find enough all the same and secondly really expensive for 7" of rope.

Suddenly remembered about french knitting from when I was a kid. Do you think this would work? And what would you use to make them. If I can figure this out plan to do it in a secluded room - don't want my machismo image ruined do I?

Seriously any ideas would be great thanks.

Looking for rope curtain tie backs on the boat ..

Suddenly remembered about french knitting from when I was a kid. ... - don't want my machismo image ruined do I?

Seriously any ideas would be great thanks.

An idea is to follow the example of Individual Stringettes.

An advantage is that if you follow the lead given by Chertsey your machismo image couldn't possibly be at risk :-)

HTH

Edited by Davidss

Why not use rope?

A length of eight millimetre hempoline with an eye splice in each end wouldn't be expensive, and by the time you had done them all you would be great at making eye splices

I highly recommend The Marlinspike Sailor for learning decorative knotwork, and as a good read:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marlinspike-Sailor-Hervey-Garrett-Smith/dp/0070592187

Richard

Two of my works in progress that I do in an evening whilst watching telly..

DSC_0036_zps3a106630.jpg

The Lucet braid is being coiled into a tea cosy and the french knitting is just a never ending cord most recently used to make a new pulley belt for my treadle fretsaw.

You can knock up a Lucet in minutes with a coping saw (or seconds if you've got a treadle fretsaw) and french knitting kits are for sale at The Works for £1.99.

Sadly cotton bobbins and panel pins can't be used any more with the demise of wooden bobbins.

Edited to add: As far as the "Macho image" is concerned the OH is not the first woman to tell me that she likes watching me sew, weave or braid.

Edited by carlt

Got to figure out what to use instead of a cotton bobbin.

I've had some success with drilling a hole through a length of 1 inch dowel but it wasn't smooth enough to use hairy yarns without snagging.

or you can get one from The Works but it's a bit pricey if you haven't got a shop local and you buy it mail order.

Clicky

Two of my works in progress that I do in an evening whilst watching telly..

DSC_0036_zps3a106630.jpg

The Lucet braid is being coiled into a tea cosy and the french knitting is just a never ending cord most recently used to make a new pulley belt for my treadle fretsaw.

You can knock up a Lucet in minutes with a coping saw (or seconds if you've got a treadle fretsaw) and french knitting kits are for sale at The Works for £1.99.

Sadly cotton bobbins and panel pins can't be used any more with the demise of wooden bobbins.

Edited to add: As far as the "Macho image" is concerned the OH is not the first woman to tell me that she likes watching me sew, weave or braid.

As kids my sister and I made our own cotton reel French knitters, we called it Cork-work. We made masses and masses of it, making Christmas presents, hats, table mats ect for everyone. The curtain rope could be simply plaited from several strands of coloured wool.

Back in the 60s I remember a device for doing French knitting scarves. It was a board with a slot in and panel pins round. With regard to a home made device would scorching the hole or even burning it instead of drilling leave the hole smoother?

Back in the 60s I remember a device for doing French knitting scarves. It was a board with a slot in and panel pins round.

Yes I make and sell them, though made from 4 pieces of wood rather than a single slotted piece. They are extremely popular despite, in my opinion, being overpriced for what they are.

I personally prefer the round knitting looms as they are easier to get a rhythm going, once proficient.

Haven't got any photo's but I've made curtain tie backs by making a slip knot in a length of cord, then keep adding slip knots until you have the desired length. To secure pull the lose end through the loop.

Not very clear, perhaps someone can explain it better?