Handbowl

Ray T

Featured Posts

What were these handbowls used for?

In the Ealing film "Painted Roses" Mr Smith is shown washing his face in one.

The great thing about this for me is that he is still smoking his pipe!

I'll try to get a still from the film.

ETA piccy

mrsmithwashing.png

Edited by Ray T

Surely that was a dipper - not a handbowl.

Washing in.

The washing makes sense (I use a bowl on my boat, no room for a sink..), but why the handle? Washing bowls were widely in use everywhere, was it just something to set it apart from mainstream bowls, as they did not have a handle?

The handle on a handbowl means it can be easily carried/passed full of water out of a cabin and emptied over the side. The handle is also useful for hanging it up.

Interestingly early handbowls have the castle on the bottom the other way up which.suggests they weren't hung up but placed on the cabin roof with the handle towards the steerer.

Dippers which are like frying pans with rounded bottoms and are smaller and used for scooping wayer out of the canal. A handbowl would be too heavy to lift full of water out of the cut. Dippers dont seem to have been used on working boats in latter years.

Paul

The full sized one were for scooping water from the canal [used for most thing in days gone bye other than drinking]

No, no. no thats a "dipper" which was in reality a corn scoop. Those are still made today btw. A handbowl was an item unique to narrowboats for washing etc.

Absolutely. Dippers can be bought from agricultural merchants. Sometimes called corn scoops (though they come in differing shapes) and sometimes manure scoops.

It's easy to see why the term 'dipper' came into being used, as a handbowl was dipped into the cut for water. But they were truly a bowl, capable of standing flat on its circular tin base, with a handle for ease of use - that's a hand bowl. Calling them dippers is like calling boatmen bargees, or water cans watering cans. Maybe no difference to many, but the devil is always in the detail.

Edited by Derek R.

I find my dipper handy for washing hands or holding veg peelings before putting them in the hedge to compost. The hand bowl is my bathroom with a handle,I use it for washing in . Washing up has gone modern and involves a number of plastic wash up bowls. One for grubby one for hot soapy water and one for dishes to drain before drying. They all nest in each other and live in the counter. All mod cons in 1973

I saw Arthur Bray on Raymond peeling potatoes for Sunday Lunch in a dipper in 1961 at Sutton Stop. When I asked if I could take a photo he insisted on putting it away and looking smart. See my gallery picture but I regret not capturing the dipper.

• 1 month later...

In the Ealing film "Painted Roses" Mr Smith is shown washing his face in one.

The great thing about this for me is that he is still smoking his pipe!

I'll try to get a still from the film.

ETA piccy

mrsmithwashing.png

Now there`s some proper painting! Modern practitioners ( and perpetrators ) please PLEASE take note. Frank Nurser by the way.

funny isnt it, I can see the obvious quality of Mr Nursers work and like it but I still do like quite a lot of the amatuer stuff and enjoy the way idea of canal painting has diversified since being released into the wild. It matters that the really good work is still available and known however.

As its 1973 on Halsall Iam considering painting Pot head Pixies on my air cleaner lid. it looks like a little spaceship and needs a crew of aliens