Insurance For 1936 "Historic" Steel Boat.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

It does depend on the surveyor, I suspect that Chertsey and Paddington have had a bad experience,we had a less than usefull survey before buying our first boat.

Tim Leech introduced us to Roger Lorenz and we had no survey worries thereafter and a lot of god advice and encouragement as well.

We insure with TM but need to have a hull condition report to re new this year. Have had basic boat insurance in the past before phase one of the repairs.

What is the point of fully comp? Sickle will NEVER be a constructive total loss, very few canalboats are and even if it sank it would be quickly recovered with very little damage. We insure third party which also has a salvage clause so what have we got to lose. Cost £68.00 and we have never had a survey not even when we bought it. Probably a slightly different argument with a modern leisure boat or conversion. In any event insurance companies like surveyors are snake oil merchants, making a rich living from false worries of simple minded souls.

That is the view I have taken with Tycho.

Satellite was with fully comp with Stimpo (you can find him on Facebook Alan)

And for god's sake don't get me going about surveyors, absolutely useless con men, hand in glove with insurance companies/brokers

That however I disagree with. Some are, but the right ones are excellent.

To be clear I have already renewed with current insurer, because I had managed to (just!) let it lapse, and didn't think I had much chance of finding an instant alternative. I didn't want to be without even 3rd party cover any longer.

I will certainly talk to at least TM well before any next renewal, and possibly even some others too, but barring any mishaps I'm not expecting to have the boat pulled out for a while.

My mind is starting to turn to our other boat becoming "old", (it is 1995 build, so only a couple of years to go to 20), and at what point a survey on that might become necessary. (Assuming of course that we keep it a while longer yet).

I've only ever had one survey, (on "Chalice"), and although he found enough that we largely covered the cost with a renegotiated price, frankly there was stuff he simply got wrong. So yes, certainly some aren't too rigorous!

I don't have anything to add about historic boat insurance, but as someone who is currently in the middle of making a claim against a firm covered by Towergate Mardon, I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone in terms of their responsiveness,courtesy and sense of urgency, which may well ultimately end up costing their client (the insured) more.

My mind is starting to turn to our other boat becoming "old", (it is 1995 build, so only a couple of years to go to 20), and at what point a survey on that might become necessary. (Assuming of course that we keep it a while longer yet).

My boat was built in 1980. The insurers asked for a hull condition report when she was about 26 years old (I can't remember exact age). They haven't asked for any other reports since and she will be 33 years old at the next renewal. The report I passed on to them wasn't a survey - just a report from the yard who did the blacking.

I don't have anything to add about historic boat insurance, but as someone who is currently in the middle of making a claim against a firm covered by Towergate Mardon, I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone in terms of their responsiveness,courtesy and sense of urgency, which may well ultimately end up costing their client (the insured) more.

Yes, that was one of my Towergate experiences also. After 6 months of grief, the firm they represented ended up paying more than double the original claim. We also had four insurances with them for different things, which all went to other firms. Wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

MARQUIS is 115 years old. 54 foot in length, iron hull, steel base plate, wooden cabin skinned in steel, and I have insured her with Towergate Mardon since 2006.

They are excellent.

I made a largish claim two years ago and I just couldn't fault the service and understanding of the predicament. I got jammed going up Camp Hill Locks (watch the iron plates on the lock walls!) and got a total top-end-plus engine rebuild after the FR3M sucked in some of the the GU and hydraulic-ed. The final cost was well in excess of the accepted quotes and there was no discussion, they just met the bills.

She is a full live-aboard boat with all the kit and facilities, domestic and mechanical, including a Fischer Panda on-board diesel generator.

The policy is with a consortium lead by Royal and Sun Alliance. My renewal has just arrived with Hull & Machinery: £70,000. Personal effects: £3000. Premium £307.14. (I have up this cover a little in some respects.)

Full out of water hull survey every 8 years.

Suits me.

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock