Snakey & The Pythoneers

Featured Posts

Today was the very first day of Python's 2013 "World" Tour.

Python is owned and operated by The Chesterfield Canal Trust and spends the summer season going to a number of canal festivals to publicise the work being done by The Trust on their canal. She is operated entirely by volunteer crew, all of whom are members of The Trust. Her crew have become affectionately known within The Trust as "The Pythoneers" and in recent times Python has started to be referred to as "Snakey" Hence the title of this thread. It is planned that this thread will be updated with details of where Python is on her travels so that if she is in your area you can watch out for her and give her a wave as she passes or come and say hello at a festival.

The first event that Python is heading for is The Rickmansworth Festival on 18th & 19th May.

Before she leaves The Chesterfield Canal she is going to wind back time and do a couple of shifts as a proper working boat once again. The crew have teamed up with the local Canal and River Trust team and Python is going to carry out some work along The Chesterfield Canal trimming back overhanging vegetation. It will be wonderful for her to be working again and Chesterfield Canal Trust are very happy about the great working relationship being forged between the two trusts along The Chesterfield Canal.

Last night Snakey was moored up at The Chequers in Ranby on The Chesterfield Canal. Last time she moored there was the fateful time the crew came back to her the next day to find her sitting on the bottom! You can imagine there was some trepidation when they left her - even though there has been no hint of any repeat performance since that day.

I am reliably informed that the crew asked the landlord of the pub to keep an eye on her for them - the reply was there was no need! They had a medium doing a stint at the pub last night and so they would just ask her whether Python would stay afloat or not!

Full markes to the crew that battled the sou-westerlies to move her yesterday. It was a lovely sunny day though. Here are a few photo's:

558769_547967638560019_49589591_n.jpg

163537_547969911893125_438351708_n.jpg

Edited by cheshire~rose

Your mooring is booked at Ricky.( Bankside naturally) so the public can see her..

Now are the Pythoneers going to turn up in resplendant attire to suit ?????

Chris

( At least your not going to be on 49D with no one on A.B or C...)

Oooh! I didn't know there was a dress code at Ricky! I wonder if Dave's banter waistcoat made out of the table cloth from our favourite restuarnt in India would suit?

I am not familiar with the layout at Ricky but it sounds like she has a wonderful spot (thank you to those who made that possible) but I do wonder if there is a deliberate exclusion zone around her! - the sinking thing is not contagious as far as we are aware!

You will be very pleased to hear Snakey did not sink last night (phew)

It is good to know we have a good mooring waiting for us at Ricky, thanks to everyone involved in the organisation. I think some of the crew might have had ideas about the tug of war but alas it seems the skipper has his sensible head on has ruled it out ..... Ah well! :)

The crew have reported the Chesterfield Canal is excellent for boats with fat bottoms since it was dredged over the winter so what with Stret Lock being widened and the bottom now being much further away from the top along there it will be great to see a few more historic boats try it for size again.

It has been another breezy day but a good time was had by all on board and now Python has reached the very picturesque Drakeholes ready for tomorrows duty as a working boat. It seems bacon sarnies are on order for the workers. Hopefuly there will be a few photo's to share tomorrow

The first entry on the Python blog has been publiched on The Chesterfield Canal Trust Website for anyone who is interested.

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/membership/reports-and-blogs/443-bon-voyage-python

Next stage The Trent - the gateway to The Rest Of The World!

Get your crew to send lots of photos

Your wish is my command:

525323_548966961793420_1168704878_n.jpg

547222_548969425126507_630739328_n.jpg

Silly Snakey could not get close to the bank to get Amanda (CRT Volunteer Leader) off so we had to make her walk the plank! :(

We usually treat CRT staff better than that!

536882_548967005126749_1312087642_n.jpg

A gratuitous shot of the very beautiful Chesterfield Canal

539597_548967028460080_1419704373_n.jpg

644643_548967101793406_2039765543_n.jpg

Oh and Snakey got a mention in the press release too!:

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/index.php/latest-news/press-releases/444-canal-a-river-trust-gets-help-from-python

• 2 weeks later...

Python had an uneventful (for uneventful read showery and blustery) trip up The Trent, and arrived at PJ Barber Boatbuilders on The Erewash where she has been kindly offered a safe berth for a couple of nights. Paul did a lot of work on her in the autumn and wanted to check a couple of things as she was passing.

There was a lovely surprise waiting for her when she got there, Viv Scraggs had managed to locate a very pretty Chesterfield ribbon plate and presented it to Snakey as a gift :)

168878_553232068033576_1262192828_n.jpg

What a lovely gesture! Although Python no longer has a tradtional back cabin she has a day cabin and it will be hung in there.

Python had some beautiful stable mates in Paul Barbers basin. There are a number of lovely old boats gathering there in readiness for the festival up there at the end of the month.

It was when the crew arrived to carry on with the journey yesterday that she decided to break down. She threw a flexible drive. What a good job that did not happen on the tidal Trent! Thankfully Paul Barber had the parts available and stopped what he was doing to get her fixed and on her way in record time. What a hero!

Last night Python was at Zouch lock and today she will be heading through Loughborough and onwards - I know a lot of forum members are in Loughborough area for the festival there this weekend and so give the crew a wave as they pass and if anyone gets any photo's of her then it would be great if you can share them please

• Greenie 1

Now now Snakey..just because your heading back dahn sauf again there is no need to spit your toys out and give your wonderful crew another headache

We have given you a really good mooring at Ricky so be nice

I have just checked the schedule for Python and (although it is not set in stone) the plan is to be at Blaby Bridhe tonight then the bottom of Foxton by Wednesday night. (provided she does throw her toys out the pram again) excl.png

we will be going up the Foxton flight early Thursday so will look out for you. perhaps if we follow you will have ploughed a furrow on the top level for us.

The crew are at least enjoying a bit of nice weather for this leg of the trip. It is great to see a few forum members along the route too. Python moored up at Blaby Bridge last night and the plan is to reach Foxton today so hopefully a few more of you will get a chance to see her chug past. Photo's would be great if you have the camera or phone handy but if not just give the crew a wave. If the guy on the tiller looks miserable don't worry too much - he has spent years perfecting that look.

I got a call earlier today from Python's skipper.

Things are not quite going to plan it seems. The bilge pumps are having to work quite hard - she is taking on water (again!)

When the crew stopped the engine last night (quite late) they heard the engine bay pump was on and waited to see if it stopped - well it took a long time before it did and then it was only a short time before it started again. Investigations revealed that the water level in area below the engine is rising around 2" every 10 minutes. ohmy.png

They have made arrangements to slip her when they reach Foxton so they can investigate the situation and hopefully fix it!

Apparently nobody wanted to ring me to tell me last night because they did not want to worry me! I have not hard anything more - which is now worrying me because I think they are keeping bad news from me!

Flippin old boats eh? who would have one?

When the crew stopped the engine last night (quite late) they heard the engine bay pump was on and waited to see if it stopped - well it took a long time before it did and then it was only a short time before it started again. Investigations revealed that the water level in area below the engine is rising around 2" every 10 minutes. ohmy.png

If its coming in that fast it shouldn't be hard to see where its coming from.

Did you ever move that bilge pump outlet pipe from the weed hatch?

It would seem by the end of the day yesterday the water level had stopped rising and there was no indication of any coming in through the night at all.

I have not had a chance to speak to any of the crew yet to get a better understanding of what is happening but a decision was made not to slip her and they are continuing with the journey.

It would seem by the end of the day yesterday the water level had stopped rising and there was no indication of any coming in through the night at all.

I have not had a chance to speak to any of the crew yet to get a better understanding of what is happening but a decision was made not to slip her and they are continuing with the journey.

Does sound to have got a touch of the "Mike Askin's", because as far as I understand it, one minute Victoria seems to be taking on water, and the next not.

Hope it gets no worse, but at least you haven't got a large load of coal on, and retail diesel tanks over the bit it may be coming in through!........

Worrying though - I prefer the water inside my boat to only be in planned containers I know about!