Unknown Boat

Dar Kuma

Featured Posts

I am currently watching a boat on ebay but it just seems a bit odd the person selling it has no idea what make or model their boat is considering they have been boating for 20+years.

any ideas what this actually is?

I have checked the number on jims shed but still unknown....

thanks in advance

the link here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200913533715?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

To me the photo's hide more than they actually show?
I would want to see photo's of the interior to be able to see what refurbishment it actually needs.
If possible go and see the boat with someone who has knowlege of narrow boats

As ever I would suggest you do not part with your reddies without a full survey.

Edited by Ray T

yeah, thanks Ray, can't really go up to have a look as I'm near penzance in cornwall, think I may give this a miss then.

missed so many already, i really need to be somewhere closer for a few days.

What a shame - Hazel Nut is for sale - we pass this lovely old boat almost every time we leave our mooring. It has a huge amount of character. I clicked the link and saw the first photo and said to dave - oh that boat is the same as Hazel Nut - then I saw it was moored at Coven and though oh! It IS hazel nut!

I have no idea how much work it needs but in the last 5 years or so I have seen regular evidence of it being loved and cared for - I suspect at the age it is it may need quite a lot of love and care to keep it looking as loved as it does.

I would certainly be wanting to view it with someone who knows about boats if I were to buy it but I do hope it goes to a good home. It is lovely to see an old boat kept afloat

I really could not say if it were viable or not. All I know is that I personally love the quirly old fashioned style of this boat and over the years we have been passing this boat it has always looked well cared for. It is entirely possible that someone might take it on at the right price and just keep it going but I suspect a new owner may want to change a few things or get more in depth in the restoration and sadly old boats are often a can of worms.

I just have a soft spot for her and sincerely hope she finds a new owner that loves her and can devote the time and money on her that she probably needs /deserves

thanks cheshire, thought someone on here might have seen it about, could be a viable project then?

Looks very well looked after, if aged. Depending on the state of the hull could be a nice boat.

But you don't say what you're looking for?

Treat it as a project boat would, in my opinion, be a mistake.

well, since I will be moving soon as the property I'm currently in at the moment will be sold off,

so have been looking for a liveaboard over the last few months, so will be my home for the foreseeable future.

People who consider a 30' boat, of which around 20' x 6' will be cabin space, for a liveaboard are, in my experience, making a fairly radical lifestyle choice.

So where does that leave me? A 68' boat, with a 14' cabin to live in. Ohh, and a 7' engine room to play in..

Well it all depends on your circumstances doesn't it? Buying a boat from Cornwall means you'll always have to take a chance, or get off yer butt and spend a week or two up here viewing in real life.

Can you afford to risk lose the £3k it is at now? If so, I'd buy it, it looks it will actually turn out to be a screaming bargain to me at that sort of money. If losing £3k would break you financially, then keep on looking, and take no chances.

MtB

I've been living in a 30ft boat for over 18 months now and I find it perfectly comfortable and sufficient and not some kind of compromise. This is in large part down to the internal layout that means that a lot of the things I have are things that would generally only be considered viable in a larger boat- such as a full size shower, fixed double bed, full size cooker etc. It is compact, but then I like small spaces, and do not find it cramped. Juggling, doing the can-can and dancing are what outside is for. wink.png

My ideal boat would be, I think 40-45ft, definitely no bigger, but I don't feel like I'm losing out in the meantime. Everyone is different. Some people would consider a smaller boat to be a bit like camping or some kind of poor man's compromise, but then plenty of people think the idea of living on a narrowboat of any length is insane and too small anyway, regardless of its length.

If you think it will work for you, give it a go. If it doesn't, sell up and go back home!

I had a very spacious two bedroom garden flat with a driveway and garden before I bought the boat; high ceilings, room to swing a cat, the works. I can see now that yes it was a nice flat, but I certainly don't miss it.

Edited by Starcoaster