Middlewich Canal Boats....Blummin Great!

TIZWIZ

Featured Posts

Just thought that I would share our thoughts about our recent Holiday aboard nb "Wrenbury".

This is our 3rd time that my family and I have taken a holiday with this hire company,and again I can say that we have just had a fantastic holiday on the Shropshire Union.

This was our first time on the Navigator Fleet, and I can say that they are very modern clean and comfortable.

We did have a couple of niggles on our first day.....Heating and rudder....but to the credit of the Team at Middlewich, these were quickly sorted and we were soon on our way again.

We have enjoyed booking with a family company, and feel that we were valued customers at all times.

We would recomend Middlewich to all, and will be booking another trip soon.

Thanks Middlewich.....( The Broadbents ) :clapping.gif

We've driven Wrenbury too (we delivered it for them) and it is indeed a lovely boat, except that the tiller was far too short meaning the steering was very heavy!

Middlewich Narrowboats how have a great opportunity with running the navigator fleet and have 'refreshed' a lot of the other boats in the fleet including selling the older ones and gaining a couple of other boats from other hire firms. Greg and his family really have turned around the company and with their location, have a very good outlook on their business now.

Re Middlewich NB's - we dropped off 66 foot Tug NB Larch yesterday after going up to the breach at Dutton and back.

IMAG1927_zpsb4a4273e.jpg

Very quiet because of the breach.

IMAG1923_zps072e0176.jpg

This is the second time we have hired from Middlewich, the previous boat was Willow (56 foot trad) and it's obvious the new owners are improving the business.

We wish the company well - there are not that many companies that hire out boats with boatmans cabins, solid fuel fires and engine rooms - use or lose.

We just light the solid fuel fire and let it run all holiday.

IMAG1922_zpsa5b37cf5.jpg

On the way back to our car, our old dog fell into the canal - after she did not bobb back up again we realised she had been swept under a boat - resulting in an early bath - managed to put my leg under the boat counter, feel her, hook her out with my foot and got her on the bank. She was in effect dead (no breath, eyes gone/tongue hanging out and blue) - then followed a tense couple of mins working on her (hung her by the back legs then doing sort of improvised heimlich massage, slapping and shouting) she coughed and revived.

Edited by mark99

Thanks Jerra,

She is a bit wobbly but Staffies are quite tough.

Got home however to find our cat has been found dead in next doors garden, - hence buried the cat in the garden this afternoon. Covered the top soil in pepper and strong after shave, placed a heavy slab hoping the foxes leave her in peace. :/

I hope the dog recovers well from her ordeal.

Guys, thanks a million you're really kind.

Mark, I hadn't realised that you had to do CPR! I put the story on the Facebook site.

Wrenbury's my favourite boat of the navigator fleet, really cosy little boat. She doesn't book very well though, just found out that she's gone missing off the website so that explains that. We're thinking of offering her out for longer term hire as there are big slots of availability on her, something like one moth for the price of two and a half weeks.

Thanks again for your posts, your all ACE.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re Middlewich NB's - we dropped off 66 foot Tug NB Larch yesterday after going up to the breach at Dutton and back.

IMAG1927_zpsb4a4273e.jpg

Very quiet because of the breach.

IMAG1923_zps072e0176.jpg

This is the second time we have hired from Middlewich, the previous boat was Willow (56 foot trad) and it's obvious the new owners are improving the business.

We wish the company well - there are not that many companies that hire out boats with boatmans cabins, solid fuel fires and engine rooms - use or lose.

We just light the solid fuel fire and let it run all holiday.

IMAG1922_zpsa5b37cf5.jpg

On the way back to our car, our old dog fell into the canal - after she did not bobb back up again we realised she had been swept under a boat - resulting in an early bath - managed to put my leg under the boat counter, feel her, hook her out with my foot and got her on the bank. She was in effect dead (no breath, eyes gone/tongue hanging out and blue) - then followed a tense couple of mins working on her (hung her by the back legs then doing sort of improvised heimlich massage, slapping and shouting) she coughed and revived.

Nice boat. Who's the builder please?

Jenevers,

The builder is SM Hudson.

I was in the market for a boat and SM Hudson was on the list as a potential amongst others as his boats are well built. Also, I was unsure about tug style (love the look, not sure if it fitted our needs). So it was a bit of try before you decide on whether tug style suited and try out a Hudson. If you like his style then a visit to his annual open day is worthwhile.

Hudson builds seem to stir up a bit of controversy in this particular forum (there are about half a dozen people in here who cannot resisit either a poke or express their strong opinion - participation in a Hudson thread is almost a blood sport now in this forum lol). However, in the real world they are generally well regarded, sought after, hold their value and draw a lot of comments.

My own view on their look is that they are visually "striking" even arresting. They do look good from most angles; however (my opinion) there are certain angles they look like the designer / fabricator has just squeezed out too much of an exagerrated shape and either pinched, bulged or lifted the steel past the optimum aesthetic** and they start to approach a parody of a trad. However that is a mere opinion and that would still not put me off buying one if all else ticked the box.

**Aesthertics, whilst an important consideration to me is not high on the list for others.

Edited by mark99

Jenevers,

The builder is SM Hudson.

I was in the market for a boat and SM Hudson was on the list as a potential amongst others as his boats are well built. Also, I was unsure about tug style (love the look, not sure if it fitted our needs). So it was a bit of try before you decide on whether tug style suited and try out a Hudson. If you like his style then a visit to his annual open day is worthwhile.

Hudson builds seem to stir up a bit of controversy in this particular forum (there are about half a dozen people in here who cannot resisit either a poke or express their strong opinion - participation in a Hudson thread is almost a blood sport now in this forum lol). However, in the real world they are generally well regarded, sought after, hold their value and draw a lot of comments.

My own view on their look is that they are visually "striking" even arresting. They do look good from most angles; however (my opinion) there are certain angles they look like the designer / fabricator has just squeezed out too much of an exagerrated shape and either pinched, bulged or lifted the steel past the optimum aesthetic** and they start to approach a parody of a trad. However that is a mere opinion and that would still not put me off buying one if all else ticked the box.

**Aesthertics, whilst an important consideration to me is not high on the list for others.

Thanks for the info. Fine boat. But I agree with you, I feel the stem is "squeezed" and "pinched" just a little too much. Wouldn't say "No" to one though!