not sure if it was a good idea?

peterboat

Featured Posts

Insulation is key as in the long run it will save money. But if your stove can't be kept at a comfortable level because the minimum setting is too high for a good part of the year then you either won't use the stove or you'll open windows to let the heat out, either way the stove sounds mis-specced for your boat.

I don't understand your logic, if the stove is on and the boat is too hot then I can turn it off, how can that relate to being mis-specced :wacko: You either need a stove on or turn it off :wacko:

I sometimes choose to open a hatch or porthole when the stove is on, but that's simply a choice I could choose to turn the stove off, but sometimes it's just some temporary relief and easier to do that than to turn off and have to relight the fire.

Also at any stage any stoves minimum setting will be too hot :wacko: It depends on how well the boat is insulated and what the out side temperature is.

mis-specced :wacko:

I don't understand your logic, if the stove is on and the boat is too hot then I can turn it off, how can that relate to being mis-specced :wacko: You either need a stove on or turn it off :wacko:

No you want the boat to be a certain temperature, your stove can't because you can't turn it down enough unless you switch it off, then it will be too cold.

Also at any stage any stoves minimum setting will be too hot :wacko: It depends on how well the boat is insulated and what the out side temperature is.

The ideal specced stove would have a low enough setting for those months to keep the chill off and high enough for those bitter cold winter months.

No you want the boat to be a certain temperature, your stove can't because you can't turn it down enough unless you switch it off, then it will be too cold.

The ideal specced stove would have a low enough setting for those months to keep the chill off and high enough for those bitter cold winter months.

Our stove does that and I'm guessing most others do too.

for those months

What months? there's no specific months you should or shouldn't put your stove on, you either need some heat or don't depending on the temperature surely :lol:

You either need a stove or not, it's lowest temperature is totally irrelevant. If you have a stove that you can reduce to half a KW you would just end up turning it on or off at different times and for longer or shorter periods than a stove at 1 kw

I would agree with regard to maximum temperature a stove could be "mis-specced" if not ho enough on a very cold day. But not it's minimum setting.

That would make every wood burner mis-specced surely :wacko:

I would agree with regard to maximum temperature a stove could be "mis-specced" if not ho enough on a very cold day. But not it's minimum setting.

No the minimum setting is just as important as the maximum, saves opening the window if the boat is too hot because your stove can't go any lower. However looking at the Bubble Corner it goes down to 1KW, which for you is too much as you have more than ample insulation, for most boats this would be a good minimum (but would use just over 30 liters a week and not 20 as stated and which was my original statement).

No the minimum setting is just as important as the maximum, saves opening the window if the boat is too hot because your stove can't go any lower.

Or turn it off :lol:

However looking at the Bubble Corner it goes down to 1KW, which for you is too much as you have more than ample insulation, for most boats this would be a good minimum (but would use just over 30 liters a week and not 20 as stated and which was my original statement).

So the boat gets too hot, i turn the stove of, what's the problem :lol: If the stove was a minimum 2 KW I would have probably turned it off earlier.

If the stove was half KW I might keep it on longer.

I might "choose" though to open a hatch, his does not make the stove too hot or mis-specced, It means I', just too lazy to turn the thing off :lol:

It's totally irrelevant can't you see that :wacko:

Being a diesel I have quick control. a wood burner though has very little in comparison, so on your assumption wood burners then are also mis-specced

More finite adjustment would always be a bonus of course but not having i doesn't make it mis-specced. :wacko:

So the boat gets too hot, i turn the stove of, what's the problem :lol: If the stove was a minimum 2 KW I would have probably turned it off earlier.

If the stove was half KW I might keep it on longer.

I might "choose" though to open a hatch, his does not make the stove too hot or mis-specced, It means I', just too lazy to turn the thing off :lol:

It's totally irrelevant can't you see that :wacko:

Being a diesel I have quick control. a wood burner though has very little in comparison, so on your assumption wood burners then are also mis-specced

More finite adjustment would always be a bonus of course but not having i doesn't make it mis-specced. :wacko:

The main benefits of a diesel stove is been able to run 24/7 and run at a lower temperature (without maintaining) are due to the minimum setting. Getting this wrong because your boat is well insulated (or small) just looses these benefits.

I've not mentioned anything about wood/solid fuel burners.

The main benefits of a diesel stove is been able to run 24/7 and run at a lower temperature (without maintaining) are due to the minimum setting. Getting this wrong because your boat is well insulated (or small) just looses these benefits.

Dear me,

Getting this wrong because your boat is well insulated

So having a well insulated boat is wrong now :lol:

(or small) just looses these benefits.

I'm sorry, but this is utter nonsense.

Why would you run something 24/7 if you don't need to. If it gets too hot turn it off, too cold turn on. What ever the temperature stove runs at, at some stage subject to external temperature chance it will be need to be switched on or off, it's simple logic :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

I've not mentioned anything about wood/solid fuel burners.

No you didn't, but solid fuel stoves as I stated generally run hotter that 1kw so by implication you are suggesting many of them are mis-specced which is complete nonsense. Especially with regard to diesel stoves.

Edited by Julynian

My solid fuel Boatman stove is made fully adjustable to very fine increments of adjustments by me. I have made a series of sculptured house bricks to reduce or enlarge the grate area regardless of the usual bottom air control knob. When a bit mild like today I have all three bricks in which make it tick over on a few knobs of coal radiating a very gentle warmth and a 25kg bag will last a fortnight or more at this fine setting. As it gets chillier during the evening I hook out a brick or two and maybe replace them next day as it warms up. All this fine control is carried out with the stove alight by using a poker, wallpaper scraper and a flat tyre lever. I'm quite adept at this performance which is something probably not possible with an oil fired stove. Also upon the side house bricks internally I erect a cross trivet which I cook all manner of tasty dishes on like heating pies, chicken in foil, spuds ect ect, something also you could probably not do on an oil fired stove, without tainting everything with diesel fumes.

I can smell the nauseous stink of diesel exhaust fumes from boats around me with Bubble stoves and Webberspachers which in my opinion is a nastier pong than burning coal or wood and pervades the area with stinks like Paddington station or an airport. And they do rely on electric pumps which is an added waste of power that has to be replaced.

My solid fuel Boatman stove is made fully adjustable to very fine increments of adjustments by me. I have made a series of sculptured house bricks to reduce or enlarge the grate area regardless of the usual bottom air control knob. When a bit mild like today I have all three bricks in which make it tick over on a few knobs of coal radiating a very gentle warmth and a 25kg bag will last a fortnight or more at this fine setting. As it gets chillier during the evening I hook out a brick or two and maybe replace them next day as it warms up. All this fine control is carried out with the stove alight by using a poker, wallpaper scraper and a flat tyre lever. I'm quite adept at this performance which is something probably not possible with an oil fired stove. Also upon the side house bricks internally I erect a cross trivet which I cook all manner of tasty dishes on like heating pies, chicken in foil, spuds ect ect, something also you could probably not do on an oil fired stove, without tainting everything with diesel fumes.

I can smell the nauseous stink of diesel exhaust fumes from boats around me with Bubble stoves and Webberspachers which in my opinion is a nastier pong than burning coal or wood and pervades the area with stinks like Paddington station or an airport. And they do rely on electric pumps which is an added waste of power that has to be replaced.

Brilliant idea and have just added this to my little book of info.....although the husband tells me that he would have thought of doing that too ;)

Brilliant idea and have just added this to my little book of info.....although the husband tells me that he would have thought of doing that too ;)

I forgot to mention a small shovel to catch the hot bricks as you hook em out over the front guard bars. Putting em back in with the fire alight just let the coals burn down low and scrape em aside to make room for a brick or two with the wallpaper scrape, pop the bricks in and spread the coals about evenly with the poker.

Hi all tonight came home to a toasty boat! wispergen running well radiators hot lit stove (solid fuel one) and all is well however the boat is dusty and smells which it never was with bubble in lounge! also there is the lost space because of coal wood etc. However I can see the fire tonight as it is on heat logs (4£ a bag 20 kilos) So we will see how it goes I have resisted the temptation to light the bubble in the bedroom as that would be an admission of defeat although my better half says it has to be warm for the weekend!! oh dear

Peter

PS Chimneys foamed will put them on tomorrow to see if this helps the smoke problem

Hi all, Well for me the experience of solid fuel versus bubble leaves me cold! The solid fuel stove is not as good for the following reasons

1 Its dirty

2 Its smelly

3 its colder

4 it has a black screen

5 There is fuel all over the lounge

6 it cant stay alight for a month at a time

7 it lack control

8 it takes longer than 5 seconds to light

9 it needs its chimney cleaning

10 it dirties the roof

I could go on forever it isnt cheaper to run etc however I still have the bubble in the bedroom and the wispergen in the wheelhouse so for now it will stay where it is but who knows what the future holds for it. Sorry if this isnt what everyone wants to hear but as the son of a miner I was brought up with coal so know what it is all about. Have to go now as I have to fill up the stove again the life I lead

Peter

Hi all, Well for me the experience of solid fuel versus bubble leaves me cold! The solid fuel stove is not as good for the following reasons

1 Its dirty

2 Its smelly

3 its colder

4 it has a black screen

5 There is fuel all over the lounge

6 it cant stay alight for a month at a time

7 it lack control

8 it takes longer than 5 seconds to light

9 it needs its chimney cleaning

10 it dirties the roof

I could go on forever it isnt cheaper to run etc however I still have the bubble in the bedroom and the wispergen in the wheelhouse so for now it will stay where it is but who knows what the future holds for it. Sorry if this isnt what everyone wants to hear but as the son of a miner I was brought up with coal so know what it is all about. Have to go now as I have to fill up the stove again the life I lead

Peter

Unfortunately most of the problems are due to a poor stove. A much better quality one will stay in for months on end or as long as you want, not smoke the room out and be totally controllable . You get what you pay for unfortunately.

Jamescheers.gif

My other half has a defra approved stove in her house with a new flue it does the same as mine it cost a great deal of money she wants a bubble as its no hassle! She is glad that I put the bubble in the bedroom but I know what you mean more spent generally means better quality.

But as most bubble owners will tell you clean once a month and in my case lounge 21degrees C on low so it worked. It was only my large supply of free wood that made me convert so short sighted of me.

Peter

our solid fuel stove hasn't been out since october, it's been toasty warm all winter, the boat doesn"t smell, we have a coal bunker under the front step, we've learned how our stove behaves and is fully controllable using the vent. when we do let it go out re-lighting takes 5 mins max.

we LOVE our solid fuel stove :-))

makes the boat feel like home

we have found similar to phil ambrose, when burning coal ( have tried taybrite, excel and one other which escapes my memory) we get a heat haze not a cloud of smoke. we usually start with a small amount of firelighter when stove is cold and a bit of kindling, move on to a log or two of very dry (kiln dried, until our own stock is seasoned next winter)wood then move on to smokeless coal, which as i said has been smokeless!

Now i am not a very practical person at all, in fact its shocking how useless i am but i can get the stove going quickly and efficiently. Yes it's a little messy but it cleans up, part of the chores. we also have two co detectors, one which we inherited and one with a digital display which is new. I refused to light it until they were in place. We initially had a little trouble sealing in the stove, the co detector told us this, we have rectified this now and it's great. We have had it too warm but usually because I have had the oven on to cook!

Each to their own really.

Hi yes I have lit the stove tonight it lit straight away but its the mess that I cant do with in comparison to the bubble which never made a mess at all. But you are right it is down to personal preference and the bubble is in the bedroom so I can light that if I want instant heat cheers

Peter