filter gunk

Featured Posts

http://db.tt/PMDbDFiU

What is the above? Just done the fuel filters - that's been on a year, since I ran dry and had to change the old one which was like that but much much worse (to the point that the nanni wouldn't run).

The engine block filter was clean.

I fear yes, it is probably bug but to be sure rub some samples between thumb and finger. If its slimy/greasy then its bug. If it is very gritty it might be dirst from the tank. I would assume bug and treat the fuel.

I chucked it away but I'm 99% it was slimy. Are all diesel bug treatments equal, or are some more equal than others? I'm going to keep the tank filled higher, and tbh I'm not worried about changing the filter once a year.

I wish I had a photo of the one I took off on the aire - I have never seen the like, even when I used to run the van on veg oil and the filters were often full of dog hair . . .

What is the above? Just done the fuel filters - that's been on a year, since I ran dry and had to change the old one which was like that but much much worse (to the point that the nanni wouldn't run).

Looks suspiciously more rusty than diesel buggy!

Hopefully it is just stuff from the bottom of the tnak that has got sucked up.

But would take the opportunity to clean up the fuel and tank so as not to waste those nice new filters!

I chucked it away but I'm 99% it was slimy. Are all diesel bug treatments equal, or are some more equal than others? I'm going to keep the tank filled higher, and tbh I'm not worried about changing the filter once a year.

I wish I had a photo of the one I took off on the aire - I have never seen the like, even when I used to run the van on veg oil and the filters were often full of dog hair . . .

Most Diesel engine issues come from dirty fuel, filters are your last line of defence not first. You need to clean your tank and polish your fuel.

I would vote for diesel bug.

On a trip down to Gibraltar on a friends yacht a few years ago we experienced it in both the generator and main engine tanks. It took him years to get rid of it completely using any number of different treatments.

I distinctly remember changing filters (3 in series) twice in one night whilst punching an adverse wind in the middle of the Bay of Biscay. Great fun!!!!

In the end he wound up changing the filter system to a Racnor ? type setup which seemed to help.

At the time fuel polishing was unheard of (at least on Crete).

Frank

Cheers all. I don't intend to mess about in the bay, so will bang in some bug treatment and carry a spare pre filter and change again in a year regardless. I'm not up for paying for polishing for what seems to be a non problem.

Could I syphon the water out? Dont see why not if on an embankment. I can't really run the wet hoover since my neighbour used my genny without asking and broke it . . .

Cheers all. I don't intend to mess about in the bay, so will bang in some bug treatment and carry a spare pre filter and change again in a year regardless. I'm not up for paying for polishing for what seems to be a non problem.

Could I syphon the water out? Dont see why not if on an embankment. I can't really run the wet hoover since my neighbour used my genny without asking and broke it . . .

Yes, or you could use almost any form of pump. I used my Pela oil extractor.

It's not water that's the problem - - it's diesel bug isn't it?

(and you won't syphon bug out - - it's too viscous to siphon)

And, of course, - whatever you get out of your tank will need to be disposed of at an official oil-waste disposal unit (most, if not all, boatyards and garages have these facilities)

Give your neighbour a length of hose and get him to suck it out, that'll learn him.

Phil

Re polishing and non problem, you have a problem your tank is full of dirt or has the diesel bug. All polishing is, is causing as much disturbance in the tank as possible and then filtering the diesel to remove what rubbish is in there. You can DIY it quite easily and if you have a tank nearly full of diesel it will be well worth doing.

And a year for changing the filter is far two long with your tank in that current condition.

Edited by Robbo