Sawley Basin To Redhill Marina

steelaway

Featured Posts

Thanks for that but would you have the number I can only find the Trent lock pub.

Alex

Hi Alex, if you call Sawley Marina Telephone 01159 734278 in the morning (they open at 08:30 I think) they'll have his number

Or maybe Jelunga may have Dave's telephone number

And Mrsmelly may have been on the Trent today, and may know

Hi Alex, if you call Sawley Marina Telephone 01159 734278 in the morning (they open at 08:30 I think) they'll have his number

Or maybe Jelunga may have Dave's telephone number

And Mrsmelly may have been on the Trent today, and may know

Sawley Lock is

07717 802543

0115 735 234

However, please note that soon Sawley will only be manned by volunteers. Dave is being redeployed onto a bank side team. Not sure at the moment when this will happen.

Certainly the April rota does not yet include Sawley.

Keith

Thanks for those numbers.I definitely wouldn't set out without checking.

We are waiting to go from Shardlow to the Soar but daren't set out on Saturday. Having been badly caught out on a rising Soar last June, we weren't prepared to risk it in these low temperatures and strong winds. The E A site suggests that river levels have stabilised at a higher level than normal.I heard that the Soar is 40mm in the red at Sileby today. There's a lot of snow about, if that thawed rapidly the levels would rise dramatically but there doesn't seem much chance of that at present.

It would be useful to know how you get on when you do go.

I have just driven over the Trent at Shardlow and it is at my absolute highest limit of passage - several inches into red, the Soar also looks high, again, not something to be attempted unless you know what you are doing and don't want to pass under one of the low bridges. .

I would say that the canal cut may freeze overnight for the next week,it may melt in the day with the sun (in between snow showers), however, the temperatures are going to be struggling to get above freezing all week. Friday is looking more like another snowfest.

The E A website still seems to suggest relatively high river levels falling very slightly. There doesn't appear to be much likelihood of a rapid thaw and consequent rise in levels though I am surprised how much snow disappeared yesterday.

I received a bunch of e mails yesterday saying that the Trent was in and out of flood.

Probably a bit late to be asking this but does anyone know what the Soar is like around Leicester? Moored at kilby bridge tonight and and thinking of heading down to/through Leicester tomorrow depending on river levels.

Exactly where does the canal join the Soar is it at Aylestone lock and if I get there and it's in the red can I turn a 70ft anywhere nearby?

Tom

Probably a bit late to be asking this but does anyone know what the Soar is like around Leicester? Moored at kilby bridge tonight and and thinking of heading down to/through Leicester tomorrow depending on river levels.

Exactly where does the canal join the Soar is it at Aylestone lock and if I get there and it's in the red can I turn a 70ft anywhere nearby?

Tom

No, once you are at Kings Lock at Aylestone, you will have to wait for levels to subside. There is no 70ft turning point at this part.

No, once you are at Kings Lock at Aylestone, you will have to wait for levels to subside. There is no 70ft turning point at this part.

Thanks for that. Spoke to CRT work boat on way down to kings and they said Soar was ok. Now moored at castle gardens and well in to the green all the way down to here.

I know its bitterly cold and windy but expected to see some boats on the move in the week before easter. Only seen 2 narrow boats and 3 CRT work boats moving since leaving Debdale and no need to worry about space at castle gardens as only one other boat here and that looks like its been here a while.

Tom

Thanks for that. Spoke to CRT work boat on way down to kings and they said Soar was ok. Now moored at castle gardens and well in to the green all the way down to here.

I know its bitterly cold and windy but expected to see some boats on the move in the week before easter. Only seen 2 narrow boats and 3 CRT work boats moving since leaving Debdale and no need to worry about space at castle gardens as only one other boat here and that looks like its been here a while.

Tom

Thanks for that.We should pass you today. Just set out from Sileby with Richard T who waited for us to catch up all day yesterday. We aim to clear Leicester today so we can relax about river levels.

It's not really surprising there are few boats about as the Soar is still high, Kegworth deep and Pillings were both in the red yesterday. Sileby is now on amber but hovered around the red yesterday.

Enjoy your day, it's beautiful but very cold this morning.

Made it from Sileby to Kilby Bridge today with Mr and Mrs Trackman. Nice to pass Tom and Bex in Leicester - thanx for the warning about the mattress. The trackmen did pick up a large plastic bag. River levels were OK generally some in green some in amber. Where were the boats? Only saw Tom and Bex on the move.

We passed the grand total of 4 boats today including yours!. Currently moored near barrow. Picked up a coil of rope on the prop just after warning you about the mattress and spent a good 45 mins cutting it off at belgrave lock! North Leicester is not the most pleasant of cruising and the locks are certainly heavy but its a nice river beyond Leicester. Just need to decide where to turn now. Was going to turn at Loughborough but if Pillings is red that might change our mind. Just wish the wind would drop - much more pleasant cruising then.

Tom

Snap! After speaking to you about the mattress, we collected a long length of plastic sheeting. We spent 20 mins in the next lock removing that after limping slowly for ages to get there.

I think you were the one and only boat we saw moving all day. We are moored at Kilby Bridge, having left Sileby yesterday. We saw -6.1 last night and are now in quite thick ice!

We've made the bottom of Foxton, got here by just after four. A fair bit of ice breaking, mostly less than 15mm though.

It's now -5.3 here at 22.00! That's far colder than last evening. Should be interesting in the morning unless it warms up a bit overnight.

Went to Loughborough today and spent some unplanned time at great central railway and now back at barrow. Some ice in Loughborough basin but not too bad. River levels were fine in the end we were just worried as it is our first time taking our boat on the river - I'm much more used to canals!

Was supposed to be at birstall tonight so slightly behind schedule now! Have to put in a couple of longish days to get back to Debdale by Monday but should be doable.

Tom

Hope you tried out the soar bridge inn whilst in barrow!

Have to try that one next time. Had good couple of pints in the Navigation which was nice and seemed to have a good atmosphere.

Managed to get back as far as kilby bridge on Saturday.after a very long and cold day and now back home at Debdale. Looking forward to our next trip down the Soar now - just not the bit through Leicester!