Boater leaving gates & paddles up

Ruth Seneviratne

Featured Posts

We are currently stuck on the Ashton canal because a single hander has been leaving gates open and paddles up. He has drained 2 pounds.

He is heading up marple locks and onto the Macc down to Nottingham. His boat is called Minnow. Just a warning to everyone else. I don't fancy overnighting in clayton and hoping we can still get down today.

It's becoming a right 'name and shame' forum this.

Yes. Shame on you for not having anything to say about the obvious choice some people make to value their time more than other's.

Ps. I'm with the OP on this.

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 3

Yes I agree good job I don't have my name on my boat came up Rufford Arm on Thursday and left 3 lock gates open.

Well, you have a 50% chance of being wrong.

I'd say, more than 50%, if there were no notices asking for the gates to be left open.

Edited by Higgs

How has he managed to drain two pounds? Has he actually gone back and opened the paddles on the closed gates?

I was trying to work that out too but thought I was missing something really obvious. - surely the paddles at both end would need to be up.

which I clearly was....

If the bottom gates/paddles leak then the upper pound can easily drain as the water flows freely through the lock.

Used to happen regularly on the HNC.

Edited by The Dog House

We are currently stuck on the Ashton canal because a single hander has been leaving gates open and paddles up. He has drained 2 pounds.

He is heading up marple locks and onto the Macc down to Nottingham. His boat is called Minnow. Just a warning to everyone else. I don't fancy overnighting in clayton and hoping we can still get down today.

If you saw the boat and know who it is , then tell them yourself.

• Greenie 1

How has he managed to drain two pounds? Has he actually gone back and opened the paddles on the closed gates?

If the bottom gates/paddles leak then the upper pound can easily drain as the water flows freely through the lock.

Used to happen regularly on the HNC.

This is something conveniently forgotten by those who advocate that gates need not be closed.

Tim

Yes some of you are correct. Leaky bottom gates and top gates left open means drained pounds. He was actually putting the anti vandel locks back on. I was writing it on here not to name and shame but so that anyone that comes across him can help him out. He has just bought the boat so is new to it all.

By the time we realised that's what he was doing, he was past us.

• Greenie 4

Yes some of you are correct. Leaky bottom gates and top gates left open means drained pounds. He was actually putting the anti vandel locks back on. I was writing it on here not to name and shame but so that anyone that comes across him can help him out. He has just bought the boat so is new to it all.

Thanks for the info Ruth

Though it's a shame that not everyone realised you were seeking to help the situation

If that was the case then why did you post this?

No mention of helping him you were having a rant and naming and shaming.

If that was the case then why did you post this?

No mention of helping him you were having a rant and naming and shaming.

In a bad temper this morning, John? The OP has clearly backed off a bit, but will probably back off completely and never post here again if she as a (nearly) new poster gets this sort of reception.

• Greenie 2

In a bad temper this morning, John? The OP has clearly backed off a bit, but will probably back off completely and never post here again if she as a (nearly) new poster gets this sort of reception.

It does get a bit aggressive on here sometimes, don't it? Doesn't bother me, but I can understand why some people avoid this forum. There again, I suspect if you're living on, and the cut's frozen,and you can't see out either because you've only got portholes not windows (so it's too dark in the boat to even read), and you're a continuous cruiser so you've been moored on the water point for the last two months, you probably get bored enough to snap at people once you've polished all your brass again...

Anyway, people should shut bloody lock gates. You don't leave your front door open all night, do you?

(PS I'm bored this morning, too.)

(PPS ducks head below the parapet)

(PPPS I'm on the Macc, so if I see him I'll tell him, nicely!)