Which network for calls and data on the cut ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

I am just about to update the phone and hope top spend more time on the water, so looking for what people thing are the preferred network(s?) for both calls and data, as I was going to consider tethering in the bundle, or MiFi if still the better way to go...

I would also consder a 4G capable phone in case it rolls out in the lifetime of the phone...mainly for improved download speeds if in a serviced area

Main waterways / areas will likely be the K and A ( western half) the Thames and the South Oxford..

Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

Nick

I can't speak for that particular geographical area; only from personal experience; and I'd favour Three. The forum consensus, reading other threads about it, seems to be that the Three network is best for 3G mobile broadband access and speed too. For mobile phone (as in, actually taking and receiving calls) then its slightly different because this will be with the 2G network (as well as the 3G network) so other providers may be able to do better than Three. Personally I have EE (the old Orange) for this but haven't tried others. My GF has 02 and sometimes hers is patchy where my mobile works fine. (Note, we also tried O2 and Orange dongles, and they didn't do as well as the 3 dongle).

I am just about to update the phone and hope top spend more time on the water, so looking for what people thing are the preferred network(s?) for both calls and data, as I was going to consider tethering in the bundle, or MiFi if still the better way to go...

I would also consder a 4G capable phone in case it rolls out in the lifetime of the phone...mainly for improved download speeds if in a serviced area

Main waterways / areas will likely be the K and A ( western half) the Thames and the South Oxford..

Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

Nick

I'm with T-Mobile (have been for years) - and have been looking over the last two days to upgrade/replace my ageing phone.

The iPhone 5 package looks fairly competent, with tethering capability included, oodles of speech minutes & texts, and various data bundle sizes available.

And although most of our cruising is not in heavily built-up areas (notts/yorks) reception of 3g to date has been quite acceptable (though I think you'll get 4g before we will!!)

Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

Nick

We generally never have a problem getting 3 - dongle hung in the window. I'm in the process of sorting an external aerial too.

Be aware that with three it's 'all or nothing' with 3G, it doesn't default to GPRS for internet access if you can't get a 3G signal. GPRS is very slow but just about OK for basic browsing.

I've experimented with tethering a phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace) and wasn't that impressed on the boat though it was OK at home - seemingly 3 give data priority to data SIM's not data on phones.

We had to give up our 3 phone contract due to a poor signal where we live, data only sim works fine though, as 3 don't do 2G that suggests their voice/text, though both are on 3g, isn't as good as their data only signal.

When we eventually go to 4g we will get a 4g mifi and access internet via that.

A relative works for O2 but had to admit 3 have better coverage in England. 3 was not brilliant for phone on K&A last October. I suggest you have a look at the coverage maps for the particular areas you are interested in.

A relative works for O2 but had to admit 3 have better coverage in England. 3 was not brilliant for phone on K&A last October. I suggest you have a look at the coverage maps for the particular areas you are interested in.

It differs in different areas but in my experience the worst two are invariably o2 and vodafone. Orange and its derivatives are far better and 3 is good also.

Tim

3 appear to have best 3g coverage but as they don't do 2g I guess their overall coverage is worse than others who do 3g and 2g.

3 appear to have best 3g coverage but as they don't do 2g I guess their overall coverage is worse than others who do 3g and 2g.

Sometimes I just get '3' showing rather than 3g. What coverage is that? Very slow on t'internet but phone OK

Sometimes I just get '3' showing rather than 3g. What coverage is that? Very slow on t'internet but phone OK

When I researched my dongle purchase there was a suggestion that three defaults to orange/EE when their phones cannot get 3g I don't know if that is correct though, I had not heard that before.

When I researched my dongle purchase there was a suggestion that three defaults to orange/EE when their phones cannot get 3g I don't know if that is correct though, I had not heard that before.

3 gave up their 2g backup fron Orange at the time when Orange and TMobile joined forces, 3 only ever intended being a 3g network hence the name but as they didn't have sufficient masts at the time they were forced to rent 2g backup from other providers. Once they had sufficient masts they went solo on 3g only.

They may have reverted to some sort of backup since then though.

If Orange and T-Mobile joined forces, and Orange is now EE will enjoy does that mean that T-Mobile will / does enjoy EE's 4G coverage ?

( really not expecting that to be the case though !!)

Nick

As Orange and TMobile were effectively the same company using each others network as backup if signal was weak then I assume that will also apply to EE's 4g.

Dunno, maybe a souped up version of 2.5g?

The "3" stores have far more detailed coverage maps on their computer systems. Try to find postcodes for various locations on your chosen routes, and take them into your local "3"store to view on their coverage maps. I would not have gone with them based on their public coverage maps, but the in store system convinced me otherwise.

Interesting comments on the "orange" backup, I think they may be "renting" space for their equipment on other providers masts; I've just returned from Tywyn (LL36 postcode) where the mast belongs to "orange" but still a "3" 3G signal.

Could be something with the "works better with data sims" thing, certainly not quite as I expected when tethered to the phone, but still more than acceptable for the middle of nowhere!

Steve (Eeyore)