e-canalmapps

NB Willawaw

Featured Posts

Obviously we don't have a common understanding of "part company" then, I guess..... :rolleyes:

He wouldn't be the first to flounce off then scuttle back.

I put it down to the inexorable draw of lively, interesting debate amongst a diverse, knowledgeable community...something sadly lacking in all the other canal forums.

Either that or we are heading towards the inevitable "Here's a gadget I've been working on..." post.

What device were you running it on ?

I put it down to the inexorable draw of lively, interesting debate amongst a diverse, knowledgeable community...something sadly lacking in all the other canal forums.

Oh, I'm not sure about that.....

I thought the NarrowBoatWorld one was pretty fantastic, until "Victor" killed it off!......

What device were you running it on ?

iPad mini and iPhone.

Recent correspondence in Waterways World clearly indicates that this 'winding hole' is in private ownership and not available for general use - which is probably why Nicholson doesn't show it

That is Somerton Bridge winding hole below the lock. I referred to the one above the lock Which has a sign on the towpath.

Edited by Meggers

No Alan, its my first topic on here in 6 months and I haven't changed my opinion.

But you have -

From your blog.

I've made a personal decision not to post any longer

.... and it's not hard to find either as if you use google to find CanalWorld the second reference to the forum is your blog post.

BTW - I speak as an 'ex-flouncer' myself and fully understand how hard it is to admit you were wrong.... and this really is the only canal based forum worth subscribing to and you do have to take the rough with the smooth sometimes to get the benefits.

As to your original question we don't use e-maps for the simple reason we find Nicholson's more than adequate and we don't see the need to go to the additional expense. Though of course Nicholson's have their faults, the main one being they can be hopelessly out of date particularly around things like pubs that have closed or water points that no longer exist.

If e-maps could in some way be kept much more up to date then I could see the appeal.

Edited by The Dog House

• 3 months later...

I downloaded the midlands version of ecanal mapp this week and have been pretty impressed with it so far. Found it very up to date with all the POI and in particular, as a newbie boater, love that it shows exactly where the Country Moorings are and gives you the distance.

For me what would make it perfect is if it showed other boats locations (like Navvygator). I just like to see who's out and about, especially as I follow a heck of a lot of boats on Twitter and FB but can't remember which canal they're currently on. ;-)

For anyone having problems installing the canalmap app I couldn't install it on android. It seems to only like certain phones that have the home and back buttons like samsungs. Anyway there is a way. I have installed youwave on my laptop. It's an android emulator and there are several others. The canalmapp works fine on there although if you want the gps it will cost a tenner on fleebay. I would say that although there are plenty of markers out of date it is much more up to date than any book and it does have lots of markers or points of interest like launderettes, chippy, post office, take aways, and many many more.

Edited by bigste