Watford Locks advice

Jamborock

Featured Posts

We want to travel up the the Watford Locks next weekend, but I can't find any information on opening times or if there are Lock Keepers controlling them at this time of year.

Does anybody know where I can find this information, or have any advice or tips about using this flight.

Thanks.

Hi I was at Foxton locks earlier (run by the same lock keepers) I am sure I read that they were manned 0930 -230 at the moment , I think the 230 is last boat in. Yes they are manned during this time and you need to book in. There is not a lot of boat movement at the moment.

Hi I was at Foxton locks earlier (run by the same lock keepers) I am sure I read that they were manned 0930 -230 at the moment , I think the 230 is last boat in. Yes they are manned during this time and you need to book in. There is not a lot of boat movement at the moment.

Thanks for the reply. When you say we need to book in, do you mean when we get there or in advance, and if so how dowe do that?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. When you say we need to book in, do you mean when we get there or in advance, and if so how dowe do that?

Cheers

Now it's no problem , just tie up and find the lock keeper, the flight is "one way" so you don't want to meet a boat coming the other way !!!

Waterscape says this:

Advice: Grand Union Leicester Line Watford Locks

13 Jan 2012 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: South East Waterways

The lock flight is manned with Lock Keepers between Easter and the end of October.

(Enquiries: 01908 302 500)

To me that suggests lock keepers are not on duty. Why not phone the number and ask?

Waterscape says this:

Advice: Grand Union Leicester Line Watford Locks

13 Jan 2012 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: South East Waterways

The lock flight is manned with Lock Keepers between Easter and the end of October.

(Enquiries: 01908 302 500)

To me that suggests lock keepers are not on duty. Why not phone the number and ask?

Sign on the lock gate at Foxton says they are in attendance but yes call to make sure in case that was just put there for last weekend.

The flight has very pleasant views as they overlook the M1's Watford Gap services which is a pleasant little stroll down to if you fancy an ice cream or your bogs full up and you need to pay a visit. In fact you may become glad of the facilities there and even become rather fond of the place after a while. :mellow:

• Greenie 1

Just to let you know the phone number has now changed, and it is now 03030 404040.

A very helpful young lady has confirmed that the locks are on winter hours and operate 0800 to 1530, and that the last boat will be at 14:45.

Edited by DRR67

• 1 year later...

Bump. Are these locks still manned? I Intend to be travelling through after March 14th 2014 (due to Buckby locks being closed unitl 14th March)

Do you still need to book in? If yes, is this by phone or just tie up & find a lockie?

You just tie up and go find the lockie to book in, you don't pre book beforehand.