Boat Builders

Foxtrot

Featured Posts

I'm having a hard time figuring which boat makers to look out for, which to avoid, which were built to last, which are built for luxury, which are well designed, all that jaz. Its hard to try get my head around which is which, or even know where to start. Sorry if there's been a thread on this already, I just have a hard time picking out the answer to this question X3

So yea, would appreciate pretty clear answers, but that said, dont be afraid to go into detail

Thanks guys

- Foxy

Unfortunately its a 'bit of string' question.

Much like cars there are the Skoda/Lada, then the Fords, the Mercedes and the Rolls Royce, each will have a 'price' so initially your choice could be limited by your budget.

To make matters more complicated many manufacturers sold 'shells' for home-completion, so you could have a very expensive shell finished to a very poor standard by a home DIYer, a cheap shell finished to a high standard by a cabinet maker (paid for by the money they saved on the shell) or anything in between

There are a few well known quality builders but I would suggest that many replies to your questions will be based primarily on peoples own likes / dislikes / requirements / budgets

I'm looking at something secondhand, and my budge is not huge. The interior isn't too much of a selling point for me, but the hull is quite important. I want something thats going to last a fair while. Is there more to it than just going by hull thicknesses?

Well worth talking to "Ally" off this forum. She and her partner are brill boatbuilders, but will give free advice I am sure, from the expert perspective.

:cheers:

I read the Op is not in the market for new though...

I'm looking at something secondhand, and my budge is not huge. The interior isn't too much of a selling point for me, but the hull is quite important. I want something thats going to last a fair while. Is there more to it than just going by hull thicknesses?

Colecraft shell.....

Other shell builders are available.....

But the O.P. did not initially state that, oh wise one. :wub:

Perhaps - I just latched on to 'built to last' all current boat builders will claim their boats are.

I'm of course ever so briefly flattered by your 'oh wise one' comment. You do though really need to stop getting wound up by such trivia as posts on an internet forum.

For the record BTW - if I was having a new boat built Beacon boats would be very very high up on my shortlist.

johnmck, on 06 February 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

But the O.P. did not initially state that, oh wise one.

Perhaps - I just latched on to 'built to last' all current boat builders will claim their boats are.

I'm of course ever so briefly flattered by your 'oh wise one' comment. You do though really need to stop getting wound up by such trivia as posts on an internet forum.

For the record BTW - if I was having a new boat built Beacon boats would be very very high up on my shortlist.

Pretty sure you two have your own thread to be bickering in -_-

Click Here

Edited by Foxtrot

And I am quite capable of helping people understand things to look for, I will always help out if I can. There is more to me than just new build boats! :)

Indeed - did anyone suggest otherwise?