Boat Safety Scheme Changes

marcus

Featured Posts

Hi

Is the output of the rediline earth neutral bonded I am not sure if the RCD will function correctly

keith

IIRC the neutral is internally bonded to the battery negative, but I cannot check it for certain at the moment.

I know for certain that it is connected to it when the unit is not running, because it uses the small DC current that flows when a load is connected to energise the relays and start the motor - but I admit I've never actually checked it again once the unit is running.

You're best testing it yourself. There is a procedure you can do, with simple tools and a few wires, written by Gibbo.

Don't worry, as a now-retired but previously-qualified electrical engineer, although I'm no longer entitled to write the string of letters after my name I won't need to refer back to any instructions

:D

• 1 year later...

everyone OK with taking out their gas bottles and putting them back during the examination?

Do you have to take it out, i thought you just had to be able to take it out....

It is fairly common to have plugs and sockets to switch between different sources of 240V

Never known why really, you can get multi pole change over switches easy enough.

I like the bit about checking stoves for damage.

Daniel

Interesting that injector pipe condition is now included. I wonder whether they've thought about those engines (Listers and others) where the pipes are enclosed within the engine?

Tim

I'm not sure I have ever seen anything but metallic injector pipes. You are right about Listers, and I can think of many others where at least parts of the injector pipes are under the rocker cover.

Do you have to take it out, i thought you just had to be able to take it out....

Daniel

It must be taken out so the inspector can check that the floor of the gas locker is not corroded

(Well ours had to be for the BSS in December 2013)

The inspector should not be expected to take it out (H&S, lifting weight / bad back etc) but when I asked our guy he said if needed he would do it

Edited by DHutch

I'm normally pretty placid but this whole subject makes my blood boil.

Why don't privately owned houses (with their limitless gas supply) need safety checks? Why don't sea going vessels, that often use highly inflamable petrol need them?

Nanny state, stop interfering in people's lives.

BS = Bull shit.

Never known why really, you can get multi pole change over switches easy enough.

I like the bit about checking stoves for damage.

Daniel

It must be taken out so the inspector can check that the floor of the gas locker is not corroded

The inspector should not be expected to take it out (H&S, lifting weight / bad back etc) but when I asked our guy he said if needed he would do it.

I'm normally pretty placid but this whole subject makes my blood boil.

Why don't privately owned houses (with their limitless gas supply) need safety checks? Why don't sea going vessels, that often use highly inflamable petrol need them?

Nanny state, stop interfering in people's lives.

BS = Bull shit.

That's an easy one to answer.

It's because the law prevents (supposedly) incompetent fools working on household gas and electrical systems. No such laws exist for leisure boats.

MtB

That's an easy one to answer.

It's because the law prevents (supposedly) incompetent fools working on household gas and electrical systems. No such laws exist for leisure boats.

MtB

That's fair enough then, as regards gas on board. Unfortunately though, the scope of the examination is much broader than that.

The inspector should not be expected to take it out (H&S, lifting weight / bad back etc) but when I asked our guy he said if needed he would do it

Fair enough.

I am just looking of the documents, there used to be a requirement for the flexible hoses to be of a certain age, and I was looking to confirm what is is, but could only find the check sheet, which appears to only mention that they must be in good condition, etc.

Daniel

Fair enough.I am just looking of the documents, there used to be a requirement for the flexible hoses to be of a certain age, and I was looking to confirm what is is, but could only find the check sheet, which appears to only mention that they must be in good condition, etc.

Daniel

Wasn't that changed, to cater for the 'new' hoses you could buy, having been on the shelf for 2 years? Ie, new, but 2 years old? They used to be stamped with the year of manufacture, innit?

Fair enough.I am just looking of the documents, there used to be a requirement for the flexible hoses to be of a certain age, and I was looking to confirm what is is, but could only find the check sheet, which appears to only mention that they must be in good condition, etc.

Daniel

Had this situation last year!! On a mt8s boat

BSS pased the hose out of date but good condition

Gas safe failed the hose because out of date

2 organisations!!

Edited by bigcol

Wasn't that changed, to cater for the 'new' hoses you could buy, having been on the shelf for 2 years? Ie, new, but 2 years old? They used to be stamped with the year of manufacture, innit?

Dont know, thats why I am asking!

BSS passed the hose out of date but good condition

Gas safe failed the hose because out of date

That's all we need!

Daniel

ISTR the hoses are required to be in date by BS5482-2005 Part III.

As I never tire of saying, it depends on which set of regulations you are attempting to meet.

You have a choice of GSIUR, BSS, and BS5482-2005 Part III. Unless you can decide which you are having checking your system against, you can't really quibble about a 'fail' (whatever that means!)

If you want to comply with all three at once, then fine.. If not, you need to say which one.

Blimey this is turning into a rant!

MtB