antifreeze for boat engines

DeanS

Featured Posts

The new sailaway I bought, may have antifreeze in the cooling water but I cant be sure. I've covered the engine with blankets at the moment, till I get some. I do know however, that some boaters in the marina probably havent put antifreeze into their boats water systems yet, and was wondering how urgent it is to do so, especially if you aren't running your boat at all until the warmer months.

The new sailaway I bought, may have antifreeze in the cooling water but I cant be sure. I've covered the engine with blankets at the moment, till I get some. I do know however, that some boaters in the marina probably havent put antifreeze into their boats water systems yet, and was wondering how urgent it is to do so, especially if you aren't running your boat at all until the warmer months.

Essential Dean.

If you are not sure if it has get yourself a cheap anti-freeze tester at the very least to check.

It's important to have antifreeze in the engine coolant even in the summer, since it also contains anti-corrosion additives that stop your engine rotting from the inside out!

Take a small amount of coolant and stick in the freezer. If it freezes add anti freeze.

Except that freezers go down to about minus 18 centigrade, and it is going have to get pretty damned severe before your engine gets that from the British winter climate.

Even if a sample of your coolant does freeze if you put it in a domestic freezer, it doesn't necessarily prove you have any need to put in more anti-freeze.

No need, as I said just a tiny dab on your tongue will tell you by its sweetness, it won't hurt you at all, just spit it out afterwards.

I just popped my head into the engine bay, removed the cap. Nothings frozen yet. You cant get a tongue down that thin filler hole unless you're really skilled, which I'm not.

I just popped my head into the engine bay, removed the cap. Nothings frozen yet. You cant get a tongue down that thin filler hole unless you're really skilled, which I'm not.

There's really no polite response to that!!!!!!!

No need, as I said just a tiny dab on your tongue will tell you by its sweetness, it won't hurt you at all, just spit it out afterwards.

(or assume it's an Austrian wine)

Why are you suddenly intent on trolling....

Listen to Biz - the man talks sense....

Why are you suddenly intent on trolling....

Listen to Biz - the man talks sense....

I couldnt actually find anything to get some of the liquid out....was going to try a kitchen sponge, but the filler holes a bit narrow...and the water is too far down to put a finger in it......thought I would try and get some out and do the freezer thing, but I'll try the taste test in the morning :)

Sorry Bizzard :)

If you don't want to follow Biz'z suggestion, buy a little antifreeze tester, which will give you a slightly more scientific indication of the concentration. I can't imagine they're expensive, had mine for about 30 years so haven't a clue now what it cost.

Tim

Will do. Many Thanks. If the levels a bit low, and it DOES have antifreeze in it, can I just top it up with antifreeze (that's what I was told to do?) Aldi's doesnt sell antifreeze, so I'm going to have to take a walk somewhere to fetch some.

ETA - will look for a tester too :) (Tim)

Edited by DeanS

I couldnt actually find anything to get some of the liquid out....was going to try a kitchen sponge, but the filler holes a bit narrow...and the water is too far down to put a finger in it......thought I would try and get some out and do the freezer thing, but I'll try the taste test in the morning :)

What sort of engine does your boat have?

Will do. Many Thanks. If the levels a bit low, and it DOES have antifreeze in it, can I just top it up with antifreeze (that's what I was told to do?) Aldi's doesnt sell antifreeze, so I'm going to have to take a walk somewhere to fetch some.

If you just pour neat antifreeze on top, it's likely to stay on top.

Best to mix it with water first, and if you're putting in a strong mix to bring up the antifreeze concentration make sure you run the engine up to temperature afterwards to get it mixed with the rest.

Tim

You must suffer from stubby finger syndrome :unsure:

Or - you've got no coolant in there - in which case you may rest assured it will not freeze! :D

Then you don't need to poke about to find the coolant.

It should be visible when when you remove the cap - top right in your pic.

If it isn't visible the level is way too low.

Get straight onto it !!

If it freezes..just once..you could be paying for a new engine !!

My mate did that with his car..

"I'll put some anti freeze in...when it starts freezing regularly"...said he...

I did..end up changing his engine as favour..and guess what..?

the next year...after he had the water pump changed...he did the same again !!

Some people...do not learn...

That's ok I'm used to it. Just use a stick, if it tastes very sweet its probably of the correct concentration of about 50/50 or 50W/40A. If so I'd mix to that ratio before installing. ''Too strong a solution'' can cause leaks, is very searching and a very strong or neat antifreeze can even creep between the surfaces of your cylinderhead gasket.

You could ask whoever fitted your engine!

My coolant system holds 48 litres, so at max strength of 50% that's 5 cans of antifreeze @ £15 or more each. You can do 33%, but I did it stronger so I can safely top up with just water.

Watch out for 'cheap' anti freeze that is ready diluted.

Richard

Then you don't need to poke about to find the coolant.

It should be visible when when you remove the cap - top right in your pic.

If it isn't visible the level is way too low.

It's visible...about half way down the reservoir....I havent filled it since picking up the sailaway (it was full when delivered)...brought it to the marina...started it up a few times, but it's been unused...waiting for warmer months....I've got no need to run the engine, so thought it best to cover it up and leave till things thaw out.....just wanted to make sure nothing freezes in it while it sits and waits...so I need to top it up....with a mixture of water and antifreeze tomorrow..to be safe.

ok, I'm off to get a stick and taste it.

Back in a bit :)

It's sweet !

I'll mix a 50/50 solution to top it up tomorrow.

Thanks all.