Three boat fires in six days

Rob@BSSOffice

Featured Posts

I have news this evening of the third inland boat fire since Jan 2.

So as it is Tuesday I am promoting the #testittuesday smoke alarm test campaign to get people to test their alarms weekly (every Tuesday)

And having just had a Christmas with fatal house fires book-ending the Christmas period and my part of the county, I say whether aboard or on-land, test your smoke alarms this evening if you haven't done so already this week.

If anyone knows anything about the fire at Marple or at Brandon Bank (Little Ouse, Norfolk), other than what is on the following links, please let us know.

Marple - report 1 & report 2

Little Ouse - http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/river_boat_destroyed_by_fire_on_little_ouse_in_norfolk_1_1786273

The first fire was at Saul

Push the alarm button now.....

Rob

Cheers Rob, It just so happens that I normally cook on Tuesdays which inadvertently tests our alarm anyhow!

Cheers Rob, It just so happens that I normally cook on Tuesdays which inadvertently tests our alarm anyhow!

Anyone else have trouble with three! :)

Anyone else have trouble with three! :)

World record multiple posting....... :lol:

But yes thanks for the reminder Rob - I'm at the boat on Saturday and now make it the first thing I do on the first visit to the boat after the New Year - change the batteries in both the CO alarm and the smoke alarm..... :cheers:

Edited by The Dog House

Good advice

one of the first things my wife insisted on when we got our boat last December was fit a good smoke alarm and C02 alarm

she has also set a reminder in her phone to get us to change the batteries in a years time

Roger

Our CO2 alarm has seen better days - Does anyone know of a 12v alarm that we could wire in & not rely on batteries ?(Yes I know it would rely on the 12v system being up to the job)

You can get CO alarms with sealed for life batteries (7 years I think)

We got one of these My link

Our CO2 alarm has seen better days - Does anyone know of a 12v alarm that we could wire in & not rely on batteries ?(Yes I know it would rely on the 12v system being up to the job)

It would also rely on the fault that caused the CO, not having also caused the 12v system to fail. It's more of a potential problem with smoke alarms but not beyonf the bounds of possibility with a CO alarm (think of the combustion products of smouldering wiring)

What is the point of having a 12v alarm, with risk of supply failure and having to wire it in when, as already mentioned, you can buy a battery model with a 7 year life? FireAngel

When I got my new smoke alarm from the very nice firemen in bletchley, they told me that they no longer supply "fireangel" ones as there was a fault in them. This was causing the battery to beep and say it was flat after only seveal months!

This is why most boaters I know have changed them to the "Kidde" make(as long as they dont end up in the cut, the firemen will swap)

I have news this evening of the third inland boat fire since Jan 2.

So as it is Tuesday I am promoting the #testittuesday smoke alarm test campaign to get people to test their alarms weekly (every Tuesday)

And having just had a Christmas with fatal house fires book-ending the Christmas period and my part of the county, I say whether aboard or on-land, test your smoke alarms this evening if you haven't done so already this week.

If anyone knows anything about the fire at Marple or at Brandon Bank (Little Ouse, Norfolk), other than what is on the following links, please let us know.

Marple - report 1 & report 2

Little Ouse - http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/river_boat_destroyed_by_fire_on_little_ouse_in_norfolk_1_1786273

The first fire was at Saul

Push the alarm button now.....

Rob

My two also get tested every time I cook. The heat detectors seem over sensitive.

Thanks.. this thread prompted me to try my smoke alarm.. the battery was flat.

I replaced it.

Good call. Others - please go and check yours.

A useful tip from my fire service days.....

Smoke alarm batterys - if they are not the ten year sealed type - Choose a significant annual date, a birthday perhaps, or an anniversary, and on that date every year without fail, buy a new battery for your smoke alarm, and use the old one for something else. That way your smoke alarm battery, possibly the single most important battery you have, will never go flat

A useful tip from my fire service days.....

Smoke alarm batterys - if they are not the ten year sealed type - Choose a significant annual date, a birthday perhaps, or an anniversary, and on that date every year without fail, buy a new battery for your smoke alarm, and use the old one for something else. That way your smoke alarm battery, possibly the single most important battery you have, will never go flat

A pair of batteries for the smoke and CO alarm makes a first class present for the wife's birthday, showes her how much you love her, they are the right size and colour, best of all they cost a lot less than a fiver. Sorted.

• Greenie 2

Whilst droning on about detectors is fine, how about banging on about the actual cause of many (most?) Boat fires?

Candles, often not in stable holders. (Many boats move when you move about, or when another boat passes..) whoever thought is was a good idea to stick a candle in the top of a wine bottle, on a boat that will roll side to side... :angry::wacko:

Careless use of a stove. Embers falling out of the stove can bounce/roll away, and smoulder for a long time out of sight. And wood stored next to a blazing stove. Leaving the door open. ( guilty of that last one myself occassionally, but only when sat next to it, when initially warming up the cabin.. never ever when unattended.)

Flammable items (clothes, drapes, curtains, shelfs, chairs, etc etc) far to close to the stove, or candles.

Using naked flames, and stoves, after drinking alcohol, or drugs. Everybody gets unsteady when under the influence.

Me, I'm moving towards hanging parafin lamps, as they can't get knocked over.

Stay warm, stay save

A pair of batteries for the smoke and CO alarm makes a first class present for the wife's birthday, showes her how much you love her, they are the right size and colour, best of all they cost a lot less than a fiver. Sorted.

Brian, that one got a greenie from me.

Luctor, it is so true, avoiding fire is even better. Fire Safety on Boats