Baiting

NB Willawaw

Featured Posts

I must say that I've noticed a trend where certain individuals seem to spend a lot of their time criticising other peoples responses to a posters question.

To my way of thinking, if somebody starts a thread and asks a question like "what sort of paint should I use to paint my boat", all forum members should be entitled to post replies in accordance with their opinion and experience. The originator can then decide who he wishes to listen to.

Uisng that same fictional example, I've noticed that if one member replies "I suggest masons paint in midnight blue", other members are copying that text in their reply and criticising that response.

The tone of these critiques often leaves a lot to be desired and in some cases borders on verbal bullying.

Why should a poster who responds in good faith to a question be obliged to defend his or her response

to others ?

Unfortunately, if it continues, the originators of threads will be deprived of a broad section of replies and only hear the responses of the bullies and know-all's, as the meeker members of the spectrum will just stop posting.

REMEMBER - nobody likes to be publicly criticised - whatever your motivation, please consider this before copying and pasting other peoples opinions into your response.

the point of the quotes (for me) is, so i can be sure if I say "that's great, yeah", or "nahh i disagree" I can indicate exactly what i'm responding to.

It's not a matter of bullying it's a matter of clarifying the debate.

and if i say something stupid, i expect to get pulled up on it, then I learn too.

Edited by fuzzyduck

In my opinion, it largely depends on how it is done.

What if you say something that you think is not stupid, but very wise in your opinion.

Would you still object to being "pulled up" - nobody on here really has the right to

decide and state publicly whether what you say is stupid or not.

Not everything on here is up for debate.

Often debates occur such as in the Virtual Pub and people expect to enter a debate as the subjects are often geared to that.

However, going back to my paint scenario, in that, people are just saying what paint they would use or recommend in their experience, for the originator to accept or ignore, as they please.

Its not a case of "I'd use Masons midnight blue" - please feel free to copy and paste my response and then knock me down and tell me why thats a bad move.

Think of the effect of your words on other peoples feelings ? there are a few personalities on here who have certain traits where they need to be right on certain subjects which they feel are important and they will nit-pick to ensure that they are right and get the last word.

All I'm saying is be careful what you say to people - I think its been said on here before that people often say things on forums that they wouldn't say face to face or even on the telephone.

Press the button, drop the bomb and you don't have to see the effect it has 20000 feet below you.

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR :lol:

the point of the quotes (for me) is, so i can be sure if I say "that's great, yeah", or "nahh i disagree" I can indicate exactly what i'm responding to.

It's not a matter of bullying it's a matter of clarifying the debate.

and if i say something stupid, i expect to get pulled up on it, then I learn too.

I have to agree with you Mark.

I've been a member of this forum for a long time, and I've seen a number of knowledgable members give up due to the attitude of some members.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, but between us we have a vast pool of experience.

What seems obvious to one person, and works in their situation, might not be best for you. It would be very arrogant of someone to dismiss any other opinion, just because it is not what they think is right.

As you say, this is a forum, and we should contribute our experiences and opinions, but not make disparaging remarks about someone else's experiences. After all, can we (or you) be sure you are right? Times change and opinions change, and the great thing about a forum is that a consensus should rise up.

I may have been guilty at times of that which you criticise, but I do try and temper my views by qualifying them as being through personal experience or as I understand it. I am also happy to be told I am wrong, providing a reasonable explanation of why I see something in a certain way is indeed mistaken. I can still learn. But what does get my back up is being told I am wrong when I know bloody well what I am relating is through practical experience, and no reasonable argument is put forward as to why I am wrong.

If I am wrong, please tell me, but pay me the respect of telling me (and other forum members) why I am wrong.

Yeah, its not all good.

As for the the post ernie refers to:

- God knows what his problem was, as i tryed to say (in a cival way), i think it was out of order.

- Thats the one and olny post posted under that user id. So eather its a new person not wishing to make a good impression, or a existing member hiding under a false alli?

- Eather way, i should be ignored in the main. Certainly i urge it not to affect theway you use the forum ernie. Your information on that thread was 2nd to none, invauable to both the OP and anyone reading that infuture. As well as a good background info for anone else, including myslef.

Daniel

When I was at school, bullies only existed if they had an audience.

There is no point in being a bully unless you have a gang behind you

to look good in front of.

The best way to deal with people who offend others is for you ALL to tell them what you think of

them, firmly but politely and put them in their place in society.

They can then choose whether to adjust their tone/apologise or slink off to another

forum.

If you care about this community and its what it is really - a linear virtual village, then speak up when its needed - dont tut at keyboards.

We have lost a lot of good boaters on this forum in the relatively short time I have been a member.

Despite this short membership, I log-on most days to check out the community.

A lot of these boaters have become friends.

Some come back under different names and some don't.

Ernie, don't be put off by a one-off.

Imagine the offending poster in his pyjamas !!! :lol:

At my time of life the "old fuse" is a bit liable to go off unexpectedly.........

I would hope I do not "explode" in any personal direction.......

Now officialdom............

is very much fair game!!!!!!!!!

After all the place gets boring if not

and I will leave if "political correctness" gets out of hand here!

:lol:

Your right on with this one mark, under the heading the tuesday night club/river dee in waterway holidays I pointed out the potential dangers of this river only to find that the next reply advocated the exact opposite and what should have been a good debate attracted only two more responses both in my favour.

Your right on with this one mark, under the heading the tuesday night club/river dee in waterway holidays I pointed out the potential dangers of this river only to find that the next reply advocated the exact opposite and what should have been a good debate attracted only two more responses both in my favour.

Hi Mike.

I have taken the trouble to look up that thread and yes it was I who responded to it. It was certainly in contradiction to your views but 'Baiting', I hardly think so.

Remember this site is called a Forum.

Rome, Julius Ceaser, You too Brutus, Frankie Howard and all that. The birthplace of democracy.

Edited by John Orentas

Nobody asked you to take the trouble but there you go again, blinkered to the point being made by mark and the overriding need to express your own point of view whilst defending your actions on a previous forum!

The birthplace of democracy.

Greece.

There you go, an example of a baiting post! Correct but irrelevant, what could be my motivation apart from an insecure need to be right?

We have to accept that conversation is not a compettetive sport, being right is less important than being nice. :lol: