Any thoughts on this old photo?

AMModels

Featured Posts

With the old pics being posted I thought this might interest some of you, the stern of the barge ahead of the narrow boat reminds me of those 'Ben..' boats in Antarmikes thread. Could they place this image 'dahn sarf'?

Taken 120-odd years ago

photo1800s.jpg

(Copyright A.Matthews collection)

Done a bit of enhancing on it Andy but it still doesnt tell us more. Boat on right has a windlass foreward and raised comings suggesting major river use, odd to see a chain draped over the roof, nice "club" on slide, bare chimney and a proper can, nice castle too.

gallery_5000_522_75865.jpg

Cheers Laurence, as you can tell someone did a bit of touching up in the past with a biro or something.

Height of the coping stones/ top of the Dock wall/ Quayside suggests Tidal. or on a river prone to flooding, dunno

Weybarge1920ish_zpsb0cde10a.jpg

River Wey Barge/ Barges??

I thought the stern on the wide boat looked a bit finer but I have no experience of them so cant really judge, off the top of my head I was reminded about the pic by images of the Ben boats in your thread. Is there a date that the brass bands were common on chimneys? I think the date of the pic precludes the gas mask clip chains we see from ww1 onwards but how about the chimney bands when did they appear?

Blackandwhites514_zpsefee8a94.jpg

Wey barge passing under "High Bridge" on Tring Summit, My Copyright

Detail of Windlass, Anchor and chain

That definitely looks similar to the winch in my pic

Cheers Laurence, as you can tell someone did a bit of touching up in the past with a biro or something.

I thought the stern on the wide boat looked a bit finer but I have no experience of them so cant really judge, off the top of my head I was reminded about the pic by images of the Ben boats in your thread. Is there a date that the brass bands were common on chimneys? I think the date of the pic precludes the gas mask clip chains we see from ww1 onwards but how about the chimney bands when did they appear?

Andy the brass bands are visible in pictures that are very old, there seems no exact date for them, most chimney chains were just iron chains too. The gas mask buckle thing heralded the notion of brass chains, then you see horse stuff being used and so on. I agree with Mike the stern resembles a Wey barge so you can be fairly sure its down south.

Stern of the Barge ahead of the narrow boat looks more like Tuba/ Gwendoline, which has a smaller Transom than the William Stevens Barges I knew (Perseverance and Speedwell) When I knew Gwendoline/ Tuba she had lost a windlass (If she ever had one). Fleet/ Lightning 2 had a windlass, but she had a sternpost rather than a transom stern, When I knew her she had no foredeck, rather an open Cockpit. (In my opinion she was once decked and this has been lost in the conversion process.) What is clear was, as with Narrow boat design, there was a lot of variation in the designs of the Wey barges.

Blackandwhites461_zps3abe1aee.jpg

Blackandwhites462_zpsf0f1fff0.jpg

Blackandwhites477_zpsa4a5d1db.jpg

Well Fleet still had the two posts between which her winch /windlass would have fitted. Looking again no fore deck might be as she was built after all, but then again where would the anchore lay and where would the anchor chain be stored?.

I am sorry I can't be rsed to sort out these half frame negatives so that you don't get the odd upside down shot!

Edited by antarmike

Just seen a photo on Tim Lewis' thread with Wey barges in London and the general shape is almost identical, shame theres no wider view of my image as it would be nice to place it and maybe have identified the boat or something definitively.

:cheers:

Thought you might like this Wey Barge Reliance

Any excuse to look at the work of Jem Bates is always welcome, the shapes on the planking at the stern of Reliance is just stunning; I dont think any two planks are the same, something I think Chris C pointed out on his Progress thread too.

:cheers:

The photo is not necessarily around the Thames, and the shape of the square stern in the background could suggest somewhere in the Chester/Ellesmere Port area, or even Manchester. The construction of bow winches was fairly similar across the country, though the deck layout varied, as did the covering boards and stempost. This winch is fairly light, suggesting it was used more regularly for moving the boat, rather than for an anchor. Unfortunately, the photo is not sharp enough to give more than an outline of such detail. How the hold of the boat alongside the narrowboat was covered would also help to identify the area, though again not enough detail.

Another photo showing that working boats weren't always dressed up to Chocolate Box perfection.

Too true, no chocolate box here in the 50's.

1958WampEd_zps14cd0edf.jpg

Wyrley & Essington somewhere round Bloxwich, Joey is from Elements fleet but I cant make out the name and have no idea which one it is. Grandfather, Uncle, Auntie and Mom on board obviously on day off from school, anyone who knew H may recognise his smile for the camera.

My collection & rights again.

edited for trying to be clever.... and failing

Edited by AMModels