help with invertor

Trix

Featured Posts

When I turn on my invertor the only socket on the boat that is live is the one built into the invertor its self surely it should make all the sockets on the boat live or am I missing something ????

When I turn on my invertor the only socket on the boat that is live is the one built into the invertor its self surely it should make all the sockets on the boat live or am I missing something ????

On mine there is a 13 amp plug with a cable going to other outlets. When this is plugged in, the other sockets are live. Don't know if this is common practice though.

sounds like its not connected to the rest of the sockets....are these usually fed from shore power?....you either need to take a cable from your inverter outlets to the shore power inlet or to make it a "proper" system fit a changeover switch before the 240v consumer unit

HTH

Gareth

It would help enormously if you would take a photo of your inverter & post it on here . . . . .

Then folks could help diagnose your problem...........

It would help enormously if you would take a photo of your inverter & post it on here . . . . .

Then folks could help diagnose your problem...........

Or better still trace where the cable that normally plugs into it, leads to.

It should lead to an RCD which may be tripped.

Using a simple inverter, the simple way to avoid feeding the mains into the inverter (with associated flash bang and smoke!) is to feed the onboard 230v sockets from the inverter OR the shoreline by moving a 13A plug from one power source to the other. Maybe this is what should be happening on your boat.

IMGP0851_zps2691e258.jpg

IMGP0848_zpsd0315988.jpg

IMGP0847_zps1ac2cdc5.jpg

first is cables from invertor then the RCD and then the little invertor

You are missing a cable.

Normally the ONLY output from an invertor like yours, comes from the 3 pin socket on the invertor. Some people make up a special short lead with a 3pin plug on one side, and a caravan plug on the other, and connect one end to the invertor and the other to the point you normally plug in your shorepower cable. Then it feeds all the plugs inside your boat.

The choc blocks are only on the 12v pump that pumps air from the engine room . So the two cables at the bottom are not feeds from the invertor to the fuse box ? Any idea what they are then . First time I have had to use it as we have lost all power in the Marina .

Edited by Trix

The choc blocks are only on the 12v pump that pumps air from the engine room . So the two cables at the bottom are not feeds from the invertor to the fuse box ? Any idea what they are then . First time I have had to use it as we have lost all power in the Marina .

It looks like quite a simple system using shore power via rcd as the usual 240V supply, and the car style inverter provides a 240V supply via single socket when out cruising for the odd weekend. You can invest in a better system, or get a multisocket extension plug and live with it.

I would hazard a guess and say that the red and black leads are the input leads from your domestic battery bank.

Phil

My guess is has been put in as a "in case" or just occasional use. I should think the person that installed it didnt have much need of 240v but put it in for the odd occasion.

If you were going to rely on inverter made 240v you should really be thinking a better inverter with PSW like a Victron (other makes available). That I juess will be a MSW and could cause problems especilayy with GHD hair straightners.

You are missing a cable.

Normally the ONLY output from an invertor like yours, comes from the 3 pin socket on the invertor. Some people make up a special short lead with a 3pin plug on one side, and a caravan plug on the other, and connect one end to the invertor and the other to the point you normally plug in your shorepower cable. Then it feeds all the plugs inside your boat.

YOU NEED SOMEONE TO MAKE YOU THAT CABLE.