More K&A problems

billS

Featured Posts

Oh well. Our Christmas cruise plans, already curtailed by the Froxfield over-run, are now well and truly scuppered! Can't even get as far as Newbury.

"Widmead Lock 89

Tuesday 18 December 2012 until further notice Widmead Lock 89 Following recent flood damage, Widmead Lock 89 chamber brickwork has become unstable and unsafe. Boats entering the lock would be at risk of damage from falling bricks.

It will not be possible to repair the lock before Christmas, and as a result it will be closed until the New Year, when investigation and repairs will be undertaken as soon as possible. The Canal & River Trust apologise for the inconvenience this will cause, and hope you appreciate we have made this decision for the safety of our users.

Enquiries: 0303 040 4040"

I reported the state of the brickwork about 6 years ago after a couple of the capstones gave way, I fell into the back of the boat from the lock side, luckily its not the deepest of locks.

Good to see these things eventually getting fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

The following update on the situation at Widmead Lock has just been issued. Widmead is between Newbury and Thatcham.

Widmead Lock 89

Tuesday 18 December 2012 until further notice

UPDATE (07 January 2013): Whilst investigations and repairs are organised, Widmead Lock 89 will be open on Wednesday 9 January, for assisted boat passage. The Lock will also be open on subsequent Wednesdays until the repairs are completed.

----------------------------------------------------

Stoppage history:

Widmead Lock 89

Following recent flood damage, Widmead Lock 89 chamber brickwork has become unstable and unsafe. Boats entering the lock would be at risk of damage from falling bricks.

It will not be possible to repair the lock before Christmas, and as a result it will be closed until the New Year, when investigation and repairs will be undertaken as soon as possible. The Canal & River Trust apologise for the inconvenience this will cause, and hope you appreciate we have made this decision for the safety of our users.

Enquiries: 0303 040 4040

You can find all stoppages at the url below:

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Oh well. Our Christmas cruise plans, already curtailed by the Froxfield over-run, are now well and truly scuppered! Can't even get as far as Newbury.

"Widmead Lock 89

Tuesday 18 December 2012 until further notice Widmead Lock 89 Following recent flood damage, Widmead Lock 89 chamber brickwork has become unstable and unsafe. Boats entering the lock would be at risk of damage from falling bricks.

Enquiries: 0303 040 4040"

We cant wait to get off the k&a thought it would be so good but now realise that its whole purpose is to pander to boat hire companys, horse pulled hoilday boats,cyclists & fishing clubs. service points are poor & few & far. And marinas have the neck to charge £4 for water. We will not be using this land owners & private estates run canal again. sorry about the rant but i feel they would be happier if we boaters weren't in there way.

We cant wait to get off the k&a thought it would be so good but now realise that its whole purpose is to pander to boat hire companys, horse pulled hoilday boats,cyclists & fishing clubs. service points are poor & few & far. And marinas have the neck to charge £4 for water. We will not be using this land owners & private estates run canal again. sorry about the rant but i feel they would be happier if we boaters weren't in there way.

That's odd, I like the K&A because there are so few other boats, perhaps for the reasons you outline. Even in August one can sometimes cruise for a whole day and not meet another moving boat.

I found it such a shock to see the pure volume of traffic when I bought a boat on the Shroppie. Made me appreciate the quietness of the K&A, at the Kennet end at least.

MtB

We had four happy years on the K&A. Mind this was from 2002, when it was 'all up together'. I gather now that it is in need of some 'maintenance' of some sort. So I've heard.

We left so we could see more of the system. We have been where we are now for 6 years!!!! We made the change when we bought another boat.

We do miss the towns along the K&A.

Martyn

A bit like Mike, i enjoy the quietness of the eastern end, facilities are thin on the ground though and seriously need improving, only once have i paid for water over many seasons cruising but that was a private water tap and they were on a meter.

I love the K&A. Its quiet, got fascinating locks, simply the best scenery. Its rare to be in line for a lock, and because there are so many its slow and varied.

It is shallow at the sides compared to other canals though which makes poor mooring if you are used to piled sides. Gangplanks etc.

Certainly some of the locks are in poor condition - going up towards Crofton there are some awful squirters and one I recall Nr Froxfield with bricks falling out earlier this year, but overall its pretty lovely.

Upper Thames is the best though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We need to get to Bradford-on-Avon for the beginning of April, so keeping a close eye on the seemingly never-dropping levels as well as stoppages. So I called CaRT about Widmead lock as the website states that assisted passage is available on Wednesdays and I was wondering if we'd need to book ourselves through but apparently you can just turn up.

We also braved the river downstream of Thatcham (but upstream of Wolverhampton) a couple of weeks ago, heading upstream. It was very slow going but we made it without incident. I wouldn't advise it though.

I'm suprised CaRT have only just said that navigation is not recommended as the levels have been consistently high since before xmas (the Oracle looks horrible and County lock has been impassable for weeks).

We need to get to Bradford-on-Avon for the beginning of April, so keeping a close eye on the seemingly never-dropping levels as well as stoppages. So I called CaRT about Widmead lock as the website states that assisted passage is available on Wednesdays and I was wondering if we'd need to book ourselves through but apparently you can just turn up.

We also braved the river downstream of Thatcham (but upstream of Wolverhampton) a couple of weeks ago, heading upstream. It was very slow going but we made it without incident. I wouldn't advise it though.

I'm suprised CaRT have only just said that navigation is not recommended as the levels have been consistently high since before xmas (the Oracle looks horrible and County lock has been impassable for weeks).

We are going the other way into London but have been stuck at Bedwyn for weeks , Hungerford is now closed until the 22nd Feb so looks like a few more weeks yet hopefully the water levels will have dropped by then , not looking forward to the Thames as im very new at this but have to go eeeekkkkk