Inverter problems.

canalboater2012

Featured Posts

I have a pure sine inverter onboard & when I got to the boat this morning the lights were very dim & water pump was hardly worked. It's connected to hook up. I went to switch inverter on but didnt even light up. Got the macanic at marina to come over & check & he checked power from shore & batteries eye. It turns out the inverter has blown a fuse & hasn't been charging up the batteries. So any ideas folks?

What he said. ;)

but (just to be pedantic) inverters do not charge batteries, chargers charge batteries. I suspect you have a 'combi', inverter and charger in one unit.

Edit: SNAP!!

Edited by bottle

One thing to watch out for in this cold weather is condensation. Inverter is sitting nice and cold - you come in and warm up the boat and the inverter acts as a little dehumidifer and gets wet inside. Turn it on and ...

Maybe its time to think about getting a separate inverter; and battery charger. Then if one or the other does break down again, at least you don't have to spend so much. Also would be very helpful if you went back and edited the title of this thread etc, for clarity.

Maybe its time to think about getting a separate inverter; and battery charger. Then if one or the other does break down again, at least you don't have to spend so much. Also would be very helpful if you went back and edited the title of this thread etc, for clarity.

A very very sensible post. Combis are one of the worst ideas known to man, another is marriage :o oops wrong thread.

Tim

Can you beg or borrow a charger -almost any charger, while you get the combi back to the manufacturer's repairer?

Hi

I bought a three stage marine type charger 20 amp for £ 45 quid off ebay. Works an absolute treat and they do bigger ones for not a lot of money though the 20amp does me no problem as a liveaboard.

Tim

I have an £80 battery charger.

I used to have a £300 MSW 2500Watt invertor.It ran everything I needed.

I used both for a year while CC-ing.

I've used the battery charger for months to keep a battery happy for water pump, etc while in a marina.

You definately have some choices to make....no ways I would ever spend £1000-£1500 .....