CO poisoning

blackrose

Featured Posts

Worcester 24CDI

Looking at the documents that came with the house, the boiler was installed before the attic was converted to a bedroom. However it has since then been inspected and passed.

Ok....

If you are right and it was installed in 2007 then straight away it is an illegal installation, so probably a DIY fit. (This is not a condensing boiler and installation of non-condensers was banned from April 1st 2005.)

Having said that it is a very good boiler, not prone to poor combustion so very much doubt it is the source of the CO but with an amateur installation all bets are off in terms of it being installed correctly.

It will have a dual concentric flue and air supply. The 4" tube is the air inlet duct and inside it is another tube about 2" in diameter carrying the flue gas. So even if the flue gas is escaping it only escapes into the inlet air duct. A very fail-safe arrangement. What is the 'flame picture' like? There is a viewing port on this boiler so you can see the gas flame when alight. It should be bright blue and steady, not yellow like a candle flame.

Finally, yes it is room sealed, so fully safe in a bedroom when installed correctly.

MtB

P.S. Forgot to say, I don't think your CO results will turn out to be anything to do with this boiler.

It does. The only test the manual says is to press the 'test' button. But I'm never actually 100% sure this will mean it will actually detect CO. To me that is just a test of the battery the LED's and the sounder.

Mine suggests how to test the sensor...

Page 11.. http://fireangel.co.uk/Uploads/Products/UserManuals/GN0637R6%20CO-9D%20Manual.pdf

SENSOR TEST
CAUTION: Sensor testing should only be
performed by a responsible adult. This
test should only be performed once a month.
Excessive testing will shorten the life of the
power pack.
NOTE: Aerosol CO test kits may be used
in order to avoid having to burn incense
sticks or cigarettes. However we recommend
that incense sticks are used as they are
cheap and readily available. A readable level
of carbon monoxide will not be given off
by other sources of smoke, for example an
extinguished candle or match.
Step 1: If the alarm is wall mounted unhook it
from the fixing screws.
Step 2: Hold the Test/Mode button down
until the spanner icon appears in the
bottom left hand corner of the screen
and the bar graph ‘scans’ from left
to right. This indicates the alarm is in
sensor test mode where the sampling
rate of the sensor has increased and the
alarm can be tested using a known source
of CO.
Step 3: Light an incense stick or cigarette
using a match or lighter. Extinguish the
lighter, or put out the match and place it into
a dish of water.
Step 4: Hold the incense stick or burning
cigarette 15cm (6 inches) below the detector,
so that the smoke goes into the holes at the
bottom of the detector. As the smoke gets
into the alarm the display will show the
amount of CO being detected. When the
level of CO in the sensor reaches 50ppm the
alarm will sound a single alarm cycle, this
confirms that the sensor is working correctly
and is the end of the sensor test. The alarm
will return to normal standby mode.
Step 5: Put out the incense stick or cigarette
by placing it into a dish of water. Ensure that
all flames have been extinguished.

Don't think so Mike. CO is undetectable innit? By us I mean. Hence its insiduouusousness.

The hit is deffo nicko. Or even better with your assumed additives!

ETA: Inferred, not assumed.

This getting a bit OT, but it's both. There's some old research that shows that regular smokers manage their level of alertness by varying the rate at which they drag on the fag. IIRC, slow smoking increases the stimulant effect of the nicotine, quick drags make the CO hit harder.

So when doing a dull task, you have the fag sitting in an ashtray by you and take the odd drag at it. When anxiously waiting for something, you smoke quickly and the CO calms you down.

ETA This is a big part of the reason why it's so hard to stop. Smokers lose the ability to use other ways of managing their arousal levels...

Edited by BruceinSanity

Ok....

If you are right and it was installed in 2007 then straight away it is an illegal installation, so probably a DIY fit. (This is not a condensing boiler and installation of non-condensers was banned from April 1st 2005.)

Having said that it is a very good boiler, not prone to poor combustion so very much doubt it is the source of the CO but with an amateur installation all bets are off in terms of it being installed correctly.

It will have a dual concentric flue and air supply. The 4" tube is the air inlet duct and inside it is another tube about 2" in diameter carrying the flue gas. So even if the flue gas is escaping it only escapes into the inlet air duct. A very fail-safe arrangement. What is the 'flame picture' like? There is a viewing port on this boiler so you can see the gas flame when alight. It should be bright blue and steady, not yellow like a candle flame.

Finally, yes it is room sealed, so fully safe in a bedroom when installed correctly.

MtB

P.S. Forgot to say, I don't think your CO results will turn out to be anything to do with this boiler.

Only the 35 model is room sealed. I have the model 24 - I checked the manufacturer's pdf. No concentric flue on this one.

The Missus says it was installed a long time ago, going by the docs.

Gas flame colour all blue.

This getting a bit OT, but it's both. There's some old research that shows that regular smokers manage their level of alertness by varying the rate at which they drag on the fag. IIRC, slow smoking increases the stimulant effect of the nicotine, quick drags make the CO hit harder.

So when doing a dull task, you have the fag sitting in an ashtray by you and take the odd drag at it. When anxiously waiting for something, you smoke quickly and the CO calms you down.

ETA This is a big part of the reason why it's so hard to stop. Smokers lose the ability to use other ways of managing their arousal levels...

That sounds reasonable. I have also noticed though, that the 'hit' achieved with the new vaporising e-smokes, still works. Hence their popularity, But there's no CO in that, 'cos there's no combustion.

Interesting viewpoint though. Must add it to the list of stuff to look up!

That sounds reasonable. I have also noticed though, that the 'hit' achieved with the new vaporising e-smokes, still works. Hence their popularity, But there's no CO in that, 'cos there's no combustion.

Interesting viewpoint though. Must add it to the list of stuff to look up!

Its not just combustion http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2014-12-17/workers-treated-for-suspected-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-after-chemical-leak-at-vegetable-storage-facility/