Glow plugs

jake_crew

Featured Posts

A Field Marshall recovery demo here from this Summer :-

One of the on-lookers was heard to say "They New Hollands is crap in the mud !"

The Field Marshall was an incredibly powerful tractor, I once witnessed one pulling three Traction Engines round a display ring at quite a fair speed. The top of the exhaust stack was glowing red from the heat, and red sparks were flying out. This was long before the modern H&S days.

With regard to starting there area number of recognised methods, and probably several unrecognised ones as well. One fairly populat alternative to the cartridge and hammer method still uses a saltpeter wick anda a very large windlass which is placed on the fly wheel centre nut and two big strong blokes wind it like mad, hoping it will start.

Edited by David Schweizer

The Field Marshall was an incredibly powerful tractor, I once witnessed one pulling three Traction Engines round a display ring at quite a fair speed. The top of the exhaust stack was glowing red from the heat, and red sparks were flying out. This was long before the modern H&S days.

Even a very big tractor is not always necessarily a match for a traction engine, though......

Sorry Alan,

Yes it is the Gleniffer identical to Reginalds' and can be seen running in the link my signature line.

We're trying to wean it off E**yS***t you see.

Once its got down to stone cold (more than over night) its not really interested until it gets a sniff or two at this time of year.

Try a hairdryer (google 'diesel engine hair dryer manifold'), cheaper than easystart plus a new engine anyway.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Richard,

Timing is as per the manual - injection starts 5" BTDC.

Reginald struggles to idle at that, one of the cylinders won't run. She's also hard to start. The book (which you sent a copy of, I think) has been hand marked to say 5.5". Currently she's running nearer 6" and is far happier

Richard

The big ends are 90' apart.

So you get suck-suck-squeeze-squeeze-bang-bang-blow-blow every two revolutions. At more than tick over it does indeed sound like a single.

This does mean some vibration - hence the massive construction and 5 cwt flyweehel. At higher revs (before I started filming) it was walking across the floor, taking the cooling tank and fuel feed with it ! All very exciting :help:

ED SWMBO reminded me how a 4 stroke engine works !

Edited by jake_crew

All,

No one seems have mentioned the Startpatron for Raolmotorer, a tin of which keeps warm by the radiator at my feet as I type..

These are a proper cardboard firework for starting Seffles with. They are like a firework called a Golden Rain, which old people could hold in their hands before they became dangerous.

I had my son try to find some in Gothenburg, where this tin was made. Unfortunately even Sweden has gone glow plug!

My Seffle is the 7/8hp version shipped to Willow Wren in 1962.

At the Ellenroad Steam Museum we have a KBE 6hp National which starts well with a fluffy gas flame held over the air intake.

Tim

No one seems have mentioned the Startpatron for Raolmotorer, a tin of which keeps warm by the radiator at my feet as I type..

These are a proper cardboard firework for starting Seffles with. They are like a firework called a Golden Rain, which old people could hold in their hands before they became dangerous.

I had my son try to find some in Gothenburg, where this tin was made. Unfortunately even Sweden has gone glow plug!

These are the ones I was referring to in post #14. I couldn't trace any replacements, either.

My Seffle is the 7/8hp version shipped to Willow Wren in 1962.

That's interesting. I thought the Willow Wren Seffles (of which mine was one) were all 25 hp. Did Willow Wren place a further for these? What boats did they go in?

Hi,

The info I have reads

Engine type S14BF, mfg. No. 10164. 7-8Hp.

Ordered by letter 62.05.18. Delivered 62.06.13 to Willow Wren

Canal Canal Carrying Co., Brentford. Price SEK 2.847:-

I've copied the unusual punctuation from the manual.

I have been given to understand that it went into a boat called Widdecombe Fair.

Hugh McNights ice boat Parry 2 had the same type, passed via Cowburn's Starling to a shed at Norbury.

Tim

The big ends are 90' apart.

So you get suck-suck-squeeze-squeeze-bang-bang-blow-blow every two revolutions. At more than tick over it does indeed sound like a single.

This does mean some vibration - hence the massive construction and 5 cwt flyweehel. At higher revs (before I started filming) it was walking across the floor, taking the cooling tank and fuel feed with it ! All very exciting :help:

Ok thanks, that explains it. I'm surprised by the actual firing sequence though. I would have thought with the 90° offset crank, each cylinders firing stroke would be 450° then 270° apart.

More like bang1 -90°- exhaust2 -270°- exhaust1 -90°- bang2 -270°- bang1 etc. This would be a smoother power flow than having the power strokes just 90° apart assuming I understand you correctly.