Can anyone give me any advice on these Marinas/Moorings??

junior

Featured Posts

have a look at Debdale Marina - near Foxton if you have time

We visited Debdale once for pump out and diesel and will not be going back. Late opening, very off hand service and our paintwork scratched by a damaged waling bar just where we had to moor for service.

This is our experience, although I know others speak well of it.

Sheila

We visited Debdale once for pump out and diesel and will not be going back. Late opening, very off hand service and our paintwork scratched by a damaged waling bar just where we had to moor for service.

This is our experience, although I know others speak well of it.

Sheila

Welcome to the forum, Sheila.

haggis

An update. I toured pretty much all of the places named in this thread over the weekend and met lots of helpfull people. I won't give you my thoughts on all of them, however two places did tick all my boxes. Not sure if i should name them publicly. I also stupidly fell in love with a boat a month before i planned to buy. Must remain strong and hope it is still there after christmas!

My next question for any of you that run your eyes over this thread is;

Moorings in the South/London.

I plan to go to London the week after next and view my short list of marinas/moorings that i have put together in that area. I wondered if anyone is in a position to give me any first or second hand info/opinions of the following places please?

High Line Yachting IVER

High Line Yachting NORTHOLT

Willow Tree Marina, Yeading.

Realisticaly i think these are the only 3 that fall within my budget, however i am willing to stretch it to secure a lovely spot somewhere else. For that reason i am also going to view;

Engineers Wharf

Stanstead Abbots (?)

Springfield (?) Both in the Lea Valley i think.

If anyone has any suggestions of other places i can visit while i am down there i'd be greatful. Packet boat is over my budget for what it is, although i'd pay that uch for a lovely online mooring in the same area.

Things i am looking for are the same criteria as my 'midlands' search. I need usual basic facilities and i'd like to join an existing community of liveaboards, both for a social life (i know nobody in london) and security as i'll be on my boat for a week then off it for a week and so on like that.

I don't need a specific 'residential' mooring. Also a car parking space is less important in London as the public transport network will hopefully mean i can get rid of the car! to that end i need to be within walking (im talking 20mins) distance of public transport.

The info i've got on this thread so far and from the forum in general has been second to none, i'm just asking for a tiny bit more i promise!!

I hope that Kings at Newark makes your list. I've been here since September and I've found it an exceptionally friendly community, with very satisfactory facilities and an exquisite town centre not 10 minutes walk away. Now I'm here, I'm not planning to leave. :)

with the water thats coming your way, you won't be able to..... :P

I hope that Kings at Newark makes your list. I've been here since September and I've found it an exceptionally friendly community, with very satisfactory facilities and an exquisite town centre not 10 minutes walk away. Now I'm here, I'm not planning to leave. :)

Yes i paid a visit to Kings friday afternoon and had a friendly chat with the marina manager. I didnt get any further in than the office which was a shame but i didnt have the nerve to ask "can i just go for a walk around?". I've visited LOADS over the weekend but only at Barrow Boating did i get to chat to any of the boat owners to get an idea as to what the 'community' would be like.

If i stay 'up north', my chosen locations are Nottingham Castle or Barrow on Soar. I did like the look of Kings and the town of Newark itself, but i couldnt get a look at the actual marina. I've heard so many good things about the place that i'd love to give it another visit and add it to the list should my London search not throw anything up.

Hi. We have only had winter moorings thus far. Last year we were in Yelvertoft, and found it fine with friendly staff and fellow moorers. Price dictated a move for this winter and I was suprised when Crick won hands down. Thus far I have found the staff to be very welcoming and friendly and have only praise for fellow moorers.

Due to the current water levels went to the boat yesterday (2hrs + journey) and found all to be well. Althought the level in the top pound was 6-8" higher, our ropes had been slackened to accomodate. So thank you to both the staff and especially Lizzie from N.B. Panda, who lives aboard and has said she will keep an eye on our boat.

Crick also has very good road connections and is fairly central, with a 20 mile or so lock free pound to poodle up ( or down )if you fancy a short cruise.

Yes i paid a visit to Kings friday afternoon and had a friendly chat with the marina manager. I didnt get any further in than the office which was a shame but i didnt have the nerve to ask "can i just go for a walk around?". I've visited LOADS over the weekend but only at Barrow Boating did i get to chat to any of the boat owners to get an idea as to what the 'community' would be like.

If i stay 'up north', my chosen locations are Nottingham Castle or Barrow on Soar. I did like the look of Kings and the town of Newark itself, but i couldnt get a look at the actual marina. I've heard so many good things about the place that i'd love to give it another visit and add it to the list should my London search not throw anything up.

Greg's a nice chap! You should have asked him - I'm sure he'd be quite happy to let you have a potter. I'm usually working from home (ie on the boat), so if you chance this way again hammer on the roof of Are We There Yet, mooring B6. There are at least two other regular forum users who moor here, but I think I'm the only liveaboard.