That is a lot of water

Doug Scullery

Featured Posts

Take care and good luck. I was in Keynsham yesterday, on the roads not the cut, and it was a nightmare trying to get anywhere with many roads flooded, some severely. And that was in the morning. Must have got much worse over the course of the day, and Saltford is prone to flooding anyway.

The Kennett was high anyway from last months rain, it never really dropped that much below being swollen, but it's come up another foot now and is just within it's banks still, i don't think it will take much more to push it into the fields

given the level, or lack of it, in recent years, of the Kennet that's probably no bad thing. Mike Rodd says that Wilton Water is still well down on where it should be.

That's strange, the eastern canal has been fuller this year than can I remember, weirs working where there are normally dry boards? Wilton Water was overflowing it's own weir every time I passed during the summer I wonder how high they expect it to be?

Rumour has it that Wilton Village is allowed to empty it's processed sewage into Wilton Water so perhaps they need to keep the water moving along to avoid build up of any nasties, it is already the weediest i've ever seen it.

Bath wise, Avon has popped in bath. The 48s and 72s are flooded as are the leisure center moorings. Churchill bridge has a clearance of approximate 3-4 foot and I may be wrong but it looked like bath bottom lock had been swamped too

Well as long as they don't do what they did about seven years ago and close the flood gates so that the water backs up and submerges Bradford on Avon under ten feet of water.

River level has been steadily dropping for the last couple of hours, it's probably about 4 inches below its peak this morning. I am quite nervous about this rain that's predicted, I'm gonna have to go out and extend my risers, we were getting uncomfortably close to one of the trees on the bank as it was rising last night.

I've been told that the Fire Brigade were out rescuing a friend of a friends boat which is moored to the railings below Churchill Bridge in Bath. It was listing badly being held down by its ropes, apparently they have slacked off the ropes and rigged up some sort of riser, which I believe is above and beyond as there wasn't actually anybody on board in danger.

I'm also moored in Saltford on the river bank. I have rigged up scaffolds to keep me off the bank, and Real_vibes is about to wade some food out to me!

It's pretty hairy here, and who knows what the further predicted rain will do, but the lock keeper at Hanham said it could be 'unprecedented'!

I'm also moored in Saltford on the river bank. I have rigged up scaffolds to keep me off the bank, and Real_vibes is about to wade some food out to me!

It's pretty hairy here, and who knows what the further predicted rain will do, but the lock keeper at Hanham said it could be 'unprecedented'!

Having just seen the weather forecast I am keen to ask a question with real gravitas behind it..

Is there a point when you should leave? We have pilings and are not at risk of sitting on the banks. Would be concerned about being stuck on board if we were to rise say another 4 feet.

Is it wise to stay aboard and keep an eye on things even if it means being stranded? Or is it better to set it all up best you can - then head for the hills?

Oh, hi, you guys must be Toms mates. We've got one of the moorings by him.

Good question, I can't say I have an answer but I'm interested to know what others think about this.

We are indeed. Things are ok at the moment. But the news says they are getting church halls ready for evacuations and that sound pretty serious. I suppose we all just need to be responsible for ourselves and leave if we feel it is too much.

I would assume we will stay aboard though.

A friend is in Limpley Stoke next to the restaurant by the Mill. The river reached peak level at 4am, but has still been told to remove all valuable things upstairs for safe-keeping during the next burst of rainfall. The garden is inundated and water reached the entrance to the back door last night. It looks like another sleepless night tonight for them.

Having just seen the weather forecast I am keen to ask a question with real gravitas behind it..

Is there a point when you should leave? We have pilings and are not at risk of sitting on the banks. Would be concerned about being stuck on board if we were to rise say another 4 feet.

Is it wise to stay aboard and keep an eye on things even if it means being stranded? Or is it better to set it all up best you can - then head for the hills?

I would head for the hills , look what is heading your way, twenty miles upstream:-

Town bridge

Edited by David Schweizer

If I was in this sort of situation I would try to get a couple of scaffold poles and drive them into the canal bed and lash them to the piling to give a sliding guide for the boat side and/or bottom plate.

My thoughts are with you folks in this weather. I know i'm only a newbie here and havent bought my boat yet, but im in the armed forces and have been involved in several major flood evacuations during my career so have an idea of what you are all going through.

Stay safe!!