Folding Chimney Stack

Featured Posts

Today I took a folding stack I have made to Bullfinch to see if it worked prior to any painting and detail finishing.

20121120_123821.jpg

It worked well in a first test. It is fairly heavy however and the counterbalance is a four pound weight. I used the original chimney (shortened by hitting a number of bridges) as the top folding part with a new brass hoop smoke baffle. The lower tube is a piece of three inch stove pipe scavenged from a scrap yard.

20121120_123843.jpg

The hinge is simply a brass door hinge cut down to size. Bracket for the balance weight was bent with some heat and shaped on the grinding wheel. The bottom brass tube, to fit onto the roof, is from a rectangular brass door plate. The hook is from a discarded rusty chimney found in the marina skip. The rope is a test of a monkey's fist round a small ball. The rope has to be shortened yet of course and the whole chimney painted and the brass laquered. This summer I peered at a few other folding stacks to see how they worked as we travelled around.

20121120_123930.jpg

I hope it all works in practise. It lowers easily to gently rest on the pigeon box and with a small flick of the rope it pops upright again.

Mike, a very small flick upwards on the rope from the steering position lifts the chimney a little then the weight takes over and returns it upright.

Coventry lad, I thought about a spring but I never considered an internal one. Its a good idea and I wish I'd thought of that.

• 1 year later...

Hi Peter,

I like the concept, I think the balance weight is more elegant & would be more reliable than a spring that could be affected by heat. Just wondering how your design has worked out in practice, whether you have evolved it further or are even marketing it now ?

Regards,

Chas

Tony Redshaw makes them too. £50 each IIRC, when he has any!

Most exhaust stacks are 3" though aren't they? Not 2".

MtB

Mine was made to fit my exhaust, it is a 2" threaded socket on the roof. Tony had some on display at the Braunston Historic Boat show

Edited by ditchcrawler