lidl oil

pquinn

Featured Posts

lidl are doing engine oil on monday over here.price is good.part synthetic.should i or not.any help appreciated. paul

You need to look in your engine handbook to find the SAE rating (example SAE 15W40) and API (Example API CC to CE) rating required and then look on the can.

Like so many things boaty there are no hard and fast consequences if you ignore the recommendations (unless it is in warranty) and go for a higher API Spec. (example API CH4). In many cases it will be better for the engine but in others, given the right (or wrong) set of operating conditions it just might cause some damage.

It may be more important to stick with the recommendations on UK canals but if you can thrash it up and down a river or estuary my suspicion is that damage form "too good" oils is less likely. Do not go for a thinner (lower numbers)SAE rating.

15/40 API CD!

According to the Yanmar handbook spec is CD or CF.

Both are obsolete specs.and cannot be supplied by API licensees i.e. most oil companies / refiners. CH4 is the current replacement spec.

http://www.api.org/certification-programs/engine-oil-diesel-exhaust-fluid/~/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/Engine-Oil-Guide-2010-120210.ashx

So Barrus / MC are able to charge £27 for 5 litres of low grade oil. I wonder who they get it from and what is the real spec?

Paul

I've used Lidl oil in my car for years but I wouldn't use in my Barrus Shire. What I use is Auchen 15/40 API/CD at €8 for 5 litres which I get in France when I travel to Germany. If you know anyone going to France ask them nicely to go into any Auchen Hypermarket and bring back say 20 litres.

:cheers:

Edited by Flyboy