Wooden Radiators!

Featured Posts

Must admit that when I heard of wooden radiators I checked to see if they were invented on April 1st... :)

Apparently not!

5050753005369_tfl_2_x.jpg

Detail:

Knockonwood-DBE.gif

These radiators come in a range of sizes and several finishes - tech info at the bottom of this post

I'm in the process of planning a boat, and I'm wondering if anyone has fitted these in place of the 'domestic' white ones (which imho often look out of place in a wooden lined boat), and would care to share their experiences

I know they are a little more expensive than the 'traditional' white ones - but I only need 3 so not looking at breaking the bank...

*Gary from Ledgard - have you seen these?

For more information search Google for 'knockonwood radiators'

Allan

- - - (Tech info from website) - - -

Product Information

HELPING TO SAVE ENERGY: Knockonwood radiators have 'Low H20' heating elements & require only a 1/10 of the water content of a traditional panel radiator. As a result, they buffer far less heat & react faster to temperature fluctuations. Less water is needed & optimum heat emission is achieved at lower water temperatures. Knockonwood radiators give maximum comfort by immediately adapting to any temperature increase.

Product Features

Height (mm): 550

Width (mm): 1000

Colour: Wood

FSC Certification: Yes

BTU output: 3754

Power Wattage: 1100

Material: Beech Veneer Finish

Other Information

Depth Dimension: 128mm. The depth measurement quoted is the overall projection from the wall to the front of the radiator

All radiator outputs are calculated in line with the European EN442 Testing Standard to 50 delta t

Pipe centre dimension: 38mm

Valve not included. Knockonwood Designer Valve Sets are available to purchase on www.diy.com

Suitable for hot water central heating systems

Independent practical studies at BRE (Building Research Establishment) show an average energy saving of 10%

Knockonwood radiators are made from or contain timber certified to the standards of FSC (Forest Stewardship Council)

Helping to secure the future: the manufacturers of Knockonwood radiators work closely with Groeninvest.

For every Knockonwood radiator bought, a CO2 absorbing Robina tree will be planted in the Jaga forest in Netherlands/Belgium

Must admit that when I heard of wooden radiators I checked to see if they were invented on April 1st... :angry:

Apparently not!

5050753005369_tfl_2_x.jpg

Detail:

Knockonwood-DBE.gif

These radiators come in a range of sizes and several finishes - tech info at the bottom of this post

I'm in the process of planning a boat, and I'm wondering if anyone has fitted these in place of the 'domestic' white ones (which imho often look out of place in a wooden lined boat), and would care to share their experiences

I know they are a little more expensive than the 'traditional' white ones - but I only need 3 so not looking at breaking the bank...

*Gary from Ledgard - have you seen these?

For more information search Google for 'knockonwood radiators'

Allan

- - - (Tech info from website) - - -

Product Information

HELPING TO SAVE ENERGY: Knockonwood radiators have 'Low H20' heating elements & require only a 1/10 of the water content of a traditional panel radiator. As a result, they buffer far less heat & react faster to temperature fluctuations. Less water is needed & optimum heat emission is achieved at lower water temperatures. Knockonwood radiators give maximum comfort by immediately adapting to any temperature increase.

Product Features

Height (mm): 550

Width (mm): 1000

Colour: Wood

FSC Certification: Yes

BTU output: 3754

Power Wattage: 1100

Material: Beech Veneer Finish

Other Information

Depth Dimension: 128mm. The depth measurement quoted is the overall projection from the wall to the front of the radiator

All radiator outputs are calculated in line with the European EN442 Testing Standard to 50 delta t

Pipe centre dimension: 38mm

Valve not included. Knockonwood Designer Valve Sets are available to purchase on www.diy.com

Suitable for hot water central heating systems

Independent practical studies at BRE (Building Research Establishment) show an average energy saving of 10%

Knockonwood radiators are made from or contain timber certified to the standards of FSC (Forest Stewardship Council)

Helping to secure the future: the manufacturers of Knockonwood radiators work closely with Groeninvest.

For every Knockonwood radiator bought, a CO2 absorbing Robina tree will be planted in the Jaga forest in Netherlands/Belgium

Alan, well done for a well reserched post, I think they look good and would complement a narrowboat interior. Is there any information on cost and supply?

Charles

Alan, well done for a well reserched post, I think they look good and would complement a narrowboat interior. Is there any information on cost and supply?

Charles

Hi Charles

I first saw these in a B&Q radiator leaflet (but would you believe not one of their stores has them on display...)

I went on to look them up on the net and found them priced (size depending) from £99 to well over £300 - but the cheapest ones I saw were on ebay

Other details from their website (link shown below)

The wooden covers are finished with a scratch-resistant polyurethane varnish, gloss degree 40%.

High UV resistance.

Price catagory 1: Oak natural - Beech natural - Maple natural - Zebrano natural

Price category 2: - Oak bleached - Beech bleached - Mahogany - Oak wenge-coloured - Walnut

The valve and its connections are concealed within the standard casing.

The surface temperature of the casing stays safe to touch, even at a water temperature of 90°C. Complies with the safety requirement DHSS DN4.

The casing can be removed in its entirety for cleaning and maintenance.

10 year guarantee

I meant to post these other pics too...

5050753007615_ts_3_x.jpg

and

KNOFD.jpg

For anyone interested in contacting the manufacturers direct (I haven't yet btw):

Jaga Heating Products UK Ltd,

Orchard Business Park,

Bromyard Road,

Ledbury,

Herefordshire

HR8 1LG.

Tel: 01531 631533.

Fax: 01531 631534.

Email:jaga@jaga.co.uk.

Web: www.theradiatorfactory.com

Edited by AllanW

Hello Allan

I agree they look good but I don't see how they are more efficient due to the wood surround. That must insulate them, not something you want from a rad surely. That being the case doesn't this make them less effective than bare metal rads, not more? Isn't it logical to get the external surface of the rads as hot as possible so that the maximum heat is passed to the air? What is the point of having a rad whose duty is to do that, and then cover it with a substance like wood having much lower conductivity than steel?

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Just had a quick peruse of the website, they look very like 'fin-rads' with a box cover.

I agree they look very nice but have not looked into their efficiency etc.

I will leave that to the experts.

The wood is only a veneer so perhaps its very thin?

Nope - don't think so looking at the picture...

- - - (More info from the net) - - -

Fashioned from beautiful smooth natural timber that curves lovingly against the wall, the Knockonwood range incorporates a front panel made entirely of wood. Unlike previously available unsightly retrofitted covers for radiators, the elegant wooden exterior of the Knockonwood range is integral to the product's design and has been designed so that it does not compromise heat output or thermal efficiency in the slightest.

Ensuring that the Knockonwood range will be considered as much for its serious heating performance as for its looks, the new radiators feature Jaga 's proven Low H20 low mass heat exchanger technology.

It also means that Knockonwood heating solutions offer an energy saving of 12.5% compared to steel panel radiators as demonstrated in testing carried out by the internationally renown building research Establishment (BRE) during 2003.

- - - (end) - - -

So what the heck is 'low mass heat exchanger technology'? Anyone?

Allan

Edited by AllanW

'low mass heat exchanger technology'

It is a light weight radiator.

Looking at their diagrams it is a 'U' shaped pipe (copper) with a 'fancy' connection/ thermostatic valve fitting and 'fins' attached.

The wood is only a veneer so perhaps its very thin?

I saw one of these radiators in B&Q a while back, it was on a display rack for designer radiators and towel rails. I didn't pay that much attention because I saw the price!! :angry:

I am almost certain they were made of ply and veneered. They looked very similar in construction to the Ikea poang chairs.

I have 2 of these beech knock on wood radiators fitted in our living room, both are more heat efficient than the previous K+ type stelrad radiators.

They are very heavy laminate thick ply with a solid veneer finish, there seem to be made up of several thick layers.

The heat exchange is basically 4 copper pipes with a large number of fin's. They take no time at to heat up and exchange the heat very well. (Sorry to repeat Bottle)

The only downside I had to purchase the TRV's for the rad's which came to £98 (inc. delivery as the do not stock them)

If you would like any further pictures I can upload them somewhere if you wish

These radiators should have cost well over £1000 for the 2 but I didn't pay that and I wouldn't pay that but are worth at least 60-75% of the RRP

Have you been to the Bisque website for a look around?

Hello Allan

I agree they look good but I don't see how they are more efficient due to the wood surround. That must insulate them, not something you want from a rad surely. That being the case doesn't this make them less effective than bare metal rads, not more? Isn't it logical to get the external surface of the rads as hot as possible so that the maximum heat is passed to the air? What is the point of having a rad whose duty is to do that, and then cover it with a substance like wood having much lower conductivity than steel?

regards

Steve

My thoughts entirely.

Since you can basically paint rads any colour you want, I'm going to try to blend them into my oak faced ply with a suitably coloured paint - probably have to mix it up myself. Or if you want a wood effect why not scumble them?