fuel caps

fizz12

Featured Posts

does anyone know is there such a thing as a lockable diesel tank fuel cap, or has any one got any good ideas to prevent fuel fetht from my boat, ps just a thought our fuel cap is the brass flush type

Edited by fizz12

does anyone know is there such a thing as a lockable diesel tank fuel cap, or has any one got any good ideas to prevent fuel fetht from my boat

Yes - they are commonly used

I can't remember the type we have, possibly "Fuel-lock, but a quick Google brought up these ....

http://www.tanklock.com/

Just found this thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27593 which will doubtless help...

I am in the throws of looking at a secondary "day tank" being occasional users at the moment and concerned that 300 litres is both expensive, vulnerable and will go off with diesel bug before we get through it all

and a small say 26 (!) litre tank is good for 20 hours running, and a Jerry can will nearly double that....

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Hi

Yes you can get them, we have two as we have two tanks, our boat was lined out at Cheshire Narrowboats, Lymm and we asked them to fit them, not sure where they got them from though (you could give them a call). I have done a quick google and there are a few sites that sell them.

Ann

Hi

Yes you can get them, we have two as we have two tanks, our boat was lined out at Cheshire Narrowboats, Lymm and we asked them to fit them, not sure where they got them from though (you could give them a call). I have done a quick google and there are a few sites that sell them.

Ann

i have googled but cant find any

does anyone know is there such a thing as a lockable diesel tank fuel cap, or has any one got any good ideas to prevent fuel fetht from my boat, ps just a thought our fuel cap is the brass flush type

There is a very discrete and elegant solution.

Most chandlers sell little brass signs for filler caps labeled "Deisel" and "Pump Out" You know which is which but.........I expect you know where this is going

Before you go too crazy on locking filler caps, consider the weakest point on your fuel system.

On our boat the easiest way to nick the diesel is to lift the (unlocked) deck board, hop down into the engine compartment, pull a fuel hose off the engine and stuff it into a jerry can. Gravity will do the rest. There is even a handy shut-off valve for when you need to switch jerry cans. No messing with pumps required and it will not look as suspicious as someone using a pump/syphon down a fuel filler hose.

I've been on construction sites where diesel has been liberated from plant by cutting the fuel line and rewiring the (electric) fuel pump such that it fills your barrels/cans for you. That is a double whammy as you not only lose the fuel but you lose the use of the vehicle until it can be repaired. And the thieving toe rags are not exactly careful in gaining access to the pipes/wires.

They look like the ones we have.

Ann

We have these fitted to our boat and I must say they are an absolute bar steward to get off. The key is small and needs a lot of pressure to turn with the result that I lose several layers of skin from my forefinger and thumb. Not sure what the recommended blood/diesel ratio is but my tank must be at 50/50 at the mo! The second problem is the two pronged security key which you need to turn the cap with once you've unlocked it. The indents are shallow and with the "key" being small it is difficult to get a good fit sufficient to turn the cap, especially if the cap is wet.

I dread having to re-fuel now. I am in the process of making a better key like the very helpful bloke at Aston Marina had.

Boondock

We have these fitted to our boat and I must say they are an absolute bar steward to get off. The key is small and needs a lot of pressure to turn with the result that I lose several layers of skin from my forefinger and thumb. Not sure what the recommended blood/diesel ratio is but my tank must be at 50/50 at the mo! The second problem is the two pronged security key which you need to turn the cap with once you've unlocked it. The indents are shallow and with the "key" being small it is difficult to get a good fit sufficient to turn the cap, especially if the cap is wet.

I dread having to re-fuel now. I am in the process of making a better key like the very helpful bloke at Aston Marina had.

Boondock

I have no trouble at all with mine. The key turns easily, as long as the cap has been turned to an angle where the locking tab can engage properly, and the two-pronged key is fine as long as the cap has not been over-tightened. Perhaps they are of variable quality?

It's certainly a big improvement over the plastic "Fuelock" cap that I had before, which used to seize in place so solidly that I needed a Mole Wrench to undo it.

Try website www.tanklock.com I bought one of these and am very pleased with it. A bit expensive as it comes from the USA but a nice piece of kit and in a lot of cases no need to have to change your existing deck fitting. Only problem I had was diesel was marked on the cap I changed, so I had to have it etch engraved at the local shoe repairer a bit more expense but I am pleased with the end result.

The second problem is the two pronged security key which you need to turn the cap with once you've unlocked it. The indents are shallow and with the "key" being small it is difficult to get a good fit sufficient to turn the cap, especially if the cap is wet.

Boondock

I just use the pin spanner which came with the angle grinder to remove my cap.

Before you go too crazy on locking filler caps, consider the weakest point on your fuel system.

On our boat the easiest way to nick the diesel is to lift the (unlocked) deck board, hop down into the engine compartment, pull a fuel hose off the engine and stuff it into a jerry can. Gravity will do the rest. There is even a handy shut-off valve for when you need to switch jerry cans. No messing with pumps required and it will not look as suspicious as someone using a pump/syphon down a fuel filler hose.

That's why my deckboards stay locked until I need to go down there or move the boat.

I've been on construction sites where diesel has been liberated from plant by cutting the fuel line and rewiring the (electric) fuel pump such that it fills your barrels/cans for you. That is a double whammy as you not only lose the fuel but you lose the use of the vehicle until it can be repaired. And the thieving toe rags are not exactly careful in gaining access to the pipes/wires.

That's a good point, but the logical conclusion of that is that we leave our boats unlocked too so that windows, doors and locking mechanisms aren't damaged when thieves gain access.

Edited by blackrose