Locking fuel cap!

nipper

Featured Posts

Hi all!

I have been given the job, among others, of fitting a locking fuel cap to Water Jester, our share boat.

I remember a couple of years ago there was a thread or two about fitting lockable fuel caps and there were several versions available.

I remember one type being the "Fuelock", but there are others.

I've tried doing a search on here, but as usual have lost patience with the search engine.

Can anyone recommend a locking fuel cap and how easy was it to fit?

Nipper

Hi all!

I have been given the job, among others, of fitting a locking fuel cap to Water Jester, our share boat.

I remember a couple of years ago there was a thread or two about fitting lockable fuel caps and there were several versions available.

I remember one type being the "Fuelock", but there are others.

I've tried doing a search on here, but as usual have lost patience with the search engine.

Can anyone recommend a locking fuel cap and how easy was it to fit?

Nipper

I have a couple of fuel locks ( Fuelock?)and whilst they do the job I find them pretty fiddly.

You have to firstly rotate the cap to a certain position and then lock / unlock with the key, whilst holding the cap in "the certain position" !.

It took a bit of fiddling and getting to know this which I know most users would have given up with long before "finding the secret".

Flip side of this is it's pretty secure, if for the wrong reasons. I modified mine slightly to make it work a little more easily.

I couldn't recommend this as an easy to use product....

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Do you know what size the filler is, and how many screw-holes there are?

Basically there are 3 sizes, Fuelock fits the smallest and middle sizes but not the largest. (13/8", 11/2", and 2" IIRC)

I had the largest size and tried using a Fuelock by making the thread smaller with Plastic Padding, it was easy to fit but something went wrong and it all seized up after less than a year.

I changed it for a brass one which is the same overall size but has a smaller aperture. The one problem was having to drill and tap new fixing holes as the original cap had 4 holes and the new one had only 3.

Mmm!

Thanks Nick and Allen.

That sounds a bit too fiddly for some of the owners to get to grips with and I can foresee problems ahead with that cap!

Thanks also NB Innisfree, That It looks a good bit of kit!

If only I had the wherewithal to make one myself, but living down here and the boat in Northampton would pose other problems.

I was up at the boat yesterday too, if I wasn't such a muppet I could of taken some measurements while I was onboard!

But there must be other designs about surely.,

Nipper

This was the type I eventually got, but in brass - from Canal Shop Man of this forum, at Whilton

Now that looks good.

Any ideas of the make of the item?

I could possibly manage to fit that, although I'd have to get hold of a tap and die set and some sharp drills!

Nipper

What type of screws did you use? I considered one of these but was put off by the need to use special fixings, required to make them difficult to be removed by a thief.

I used ordinary stainless cross-head screws, then when I was satisfied that the job was complete I drilled out the cross-head to make them unusable. If I ever need to remove it, I will just have to drill the screws out completely.

I have a couple of fuel locks ( Fuelock?)and whilst they do the job I find them pretty fiddly.

You have to firstly rotate the cap to a certain position and then lock / unlock with the key, whilst holding the cap in "the certain position" !.

It took a bit of fiddling and getting to know this which I know most users would have given up with long before "finding the secret".

Flip side of this is it's pretty secure, if for the wrong reasons. I modified mine slightly to make it work a little more easily.

I couldn't recommend this as an easy to use product....

Nick

Ive been happy with my Fuelock, took a little bit of getting used to at first. Keep the mechanism well lubricated and it should be fine.

Now that looks good.

Any ideas of the make of the item?

I could possibly manage to fit that, although I'd have to get hold of a tap and die set and some sharp drills!

Nipper

Do any of these incorporate a vent? My existing (unlockable) one has one; there is no other vent to the fuel tank.