persevearance

dredgerman

Featured Posts

i joined the crew uphill of crookham wharf,ian edwards i blame! pledge & sparkle the tugs i started with to the r. b

on the unload site on the embankment.saturday was clean the firebars,rod the tubes,clean the smokebox & light the fire

very gently,cast iron needs gentle heat & spread the fire gently over the bars.the procedure took over 2 hrs to produce

steam,a contrast to modern hydraulic machines,5 mins.and dig dig!good memories of a bygone age,tug skipper,fireman,steam crane

driver,not many of us left & need to pass the knowledge on.

dredgerman [chaz]

Graham I worked that bit out!! but the randomness of the posts not only on this thread but the other one as well, plus the adding as a friend? I fear a nutty stalker coming on!!!!

It was always a great regret that depite many years working as a volunteer on the Basingstoke canal restoration that I only ever saw Pweseverance in action once, it was a great sight to see it working.

Tim

that's once more than Me! never saw it in steam let alone in action, have seen a video but that's it. shame its gone to Ellesmere to sink!

like you I spent a lot of time working on the Basingstoke in the 80's but never went up where she was working.

Perseverance is not sunk in Ellesmere Port. She is not going to the scrapyard. In fact, even though not quite alive and kicking, she is on the bank instead. At present, Perseverance isn't on the Museum's list of restoration projects, so if there is a decent proposition for her, there will be no prising necessary; contact the Museum and the wheels will be set in motion.

Perseverance is not sunk in Ellesmere Port. ............., she is on the bank instead.

probably the only reason it hasn't sunk!! sorry to say, but its a disgrace the amount of sunk boats there already without adding more boats that will untimately suffer neglect!! if they can't look after the boats then let someone care for them!

Perseverance is not sunk in Ellesmere Port. She is not going to the scrapyard. In fact, even though not quite alive and kicking, she is on the bank instead. At present, Perseverance isn't on the Museum's list of restoration projects, so if there is a decent proposition for her, there will be no prising necessary; contact the Museum and the wheels will be set in motion.

As a member of Surrey and Hampshire Canal Society (SHCS) Committee my understanding was that when we 'donated' Perseverance to the boat museum there was a condition (which I am trying to have confirmed) that if restoration didn't take place that SHCS had 'first refusal' to take the dredger back. The committee understood way back then that Perseverance was a unique item of waterways history.

My understanding is (IIRC) that there have been discussions between SHCS and a group of steam enthusiasts in the south that, if sufficient expertise, commitment, money, etc etc can be brought together that SHCS will ask, under the terms of the 'donation', for Perseverance to be returned to the ownership of SHCS and work started to restore her to working condition with aim for that to be in proper steam but with an option, after a review of the parts that make up Perseverance to consider running her on compressed air should that be the only viable option. Let's hope that something can be done to resolve the issue of her just lying at Ellesmere Port.

• 2 weeks later...

We started wiyh the dredger at Colt Hill in 1974 working up to the winding hole at kink Johns Castle.Among the early regulers were Ian Crips, Roger Thomas Roger ? ( a royal navy Lt Comander Ian Edwards & Peter Cager. Paul and wife Penny were also

along with john Hulbert & myself

i joined the crew uphill of crookham wharf,ian edwards i blame! pledge & sparkle the tugs i started with to the r. b

on the unload site on the embankment.saturday was clean the firebars,rod the tubes,clean the smokebox & light the fire

very gently,cast iron needs gentle heat & spread the fire gently over the bars.the procedure took over 2 hrs to produce

steam,a contrast to modern hydraulic machines,5 mins.and dig dig!good memories of a bygone age,tug skipper,fireman,steam crane

dredgerman [chaz]

• 2 weeks later...

We started wiyh the dredger at Colt Hill in 1974 working up to the winding hole at kink Johns Castle.Among the early regulers were Ian Crips, Roger Thomas Roger ? ( a royal navy Lt Comander Ian Edwards & Peter Cager. Paul and wife Penny were also

along with john Hulbert & myself

I photographed Perseverance dredging on the Shropshire Union Canal in 1963. It was a lovely surprise on our way to Chester.

• 3 weeks later...

I photographed Perseverance dredging on the Shropshire Union Canal in 1963. It was a lovely surprise on our way to Chester.

I think you have got the wrong craft, to my knowledge It was bpught by the K & A Trust and used there for many years before we obtained her in 1973 I think

I think you have got the wrong craft, to my knowledge It was bpught by the K & A Trust and used there for many years before we obtained her in 1973 I think

It was moved from the Basingstoke to the Shropie and then back to the K & A.

Ah but there are great interactive screens and a fantastic cafe to go and visit.

Darren

Hopefully there is a GIFT SHOP too, which sells pencil sharpeners with PERSEVEARANCE written on them.

All the best places have GIFT SHOPS as well as interactive screens and cafés. Don't they?

MtB

• 4 weeks later...

It was moved from the Basingstoke to the Shropie and then back to the K & A.

Having helped to reassemble Perseverance and work on the dredging team for many years I can state that it was never on the Basingstoke prior to us recvering it from the K & A

Having helped to reassemble Perseverance and work on the dredging team for many years I can state that it was never on the Basingstoke prior to us recvering it from the K & A

Is this a different boat then, or just complete misinformation?

PDF Clicky

33.jpg

Edited to add: Looking at your previous posts I suspect that you meant to type "Shroppie" not "Basingstoke".

Edited by carlt

The trouble is as you say there are not many of us left, but could you cope with another 17 years now Chaz ? I know that I couldnt that would make me 92.

Hope you are still enjoying yourself on the Wey Navs, havnt seen you fore some time

dredgerman [chaz]

Edited by Basyfart