Hand painted or Vinyl?

dave moore

Featured Posts

One final point: If vinyl was available to boatmen back in the day, would they have still used paint? Thinking on, perhaps the non-availability of a Vinyl cutter 200-odd years ago isn't such a bad thing, else President would be liveried in Comic Sans. *shudders*

Not 'Comic Sans' that'd be daft (as you well know :)), but there's no reason, apart from 'tradition' why all of this below could not be reproduced and applied via vinyl, and you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference from anything more than yard/metre away. And I bet you if cost/time benefit vinyl was available to FMC (as I suspect they not the boatmen paid for their livery) they'd have jumped at it.

1114634443_a35fbd577c_z.jpg

Not 'Comic Sans' that'd be daft (as you well know :)), but there's no reason, apart from 'tradition' why all of this below could not be reproduced and applied via vinyl, and you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference from anything more than yard/metre away. And I bet you if cost/time benefit vinyl was available to FMC (as I suspect they not the boatmen paid for their livery) they'd have jumped at it.

1114634443_a35fbd577c_z.jpg

I suspect you're right about using vinyl, if it had been available. But, where history is, boat people enjoy preserving what belongs and what is out of place remains out of place.

We're lucky that hand painting survives. No longer an industrial consideration, but keeping a skill alive with the boats.

Edited by Higgs

I suspect you're right about using vinyl, if it had been available. But, where history is, boat people enjoy preserving what belongs and what is out of place remains out of place.

We're lucky that hand painting survives. No longer an industrial consideration, but keeping a skill alive with the boats.

Why stop at sign writing? We could have plastic hulls too.

Hi all

This thread seems to have run its course, thanks again to all of you who have made a contribution or simply read what's been posted. The recent postings of President's livery are the work of local craftsman Ian Kemp, one of the truly multi skilled craftsmen on the system when it comes to traditional working boats. He restores in wood and steel, repaints and letters his projects, working quietly and efficiently at his yard on the Stourbridge 16. He's a fine decorative painter too, his work is inspired by Frank Nurser of Braunston, one of the acknowledged greats of narrowboat decoration in trading days.

50 years ago I was drawn to the cut by the heritage elements espoused by Rolt and others. In a totally changed canal world, I'm lucky to still be busy waggling a paint brush and with a waiting list. All we need now are a few more youngsters to help preserve the painting tradition. There's promise out there, but a handful can't do it all......

Cheers

Dave

Hi all

This thread seems to have run its course, thanks again to all of you who have made a contribution or simply read what's been posted. The recent postings of President's livery are the work of local craftsman Ian Kemp, one of the truly multi skilled craftsmen on the system when it comes to traditional working boats. He restores in wood and steel, repaints and letters his projects, working quietly and efficiently at his yard on the Stourbridge 16. He's a fine decorative painter too, his work is inspired by Frank Nurser of Braunston, one of the acknowledged greats of narrowboat decoration in trading days.

50 years ago I was drawn to the cut by the heritage elements espoused by Rolt and others. In a totally changed canal world, I'm lucky to still be busy waggling a paint brush and with a waiting list. All we need now are a few more youngsters to help preserve the painting tradition. There's promise out there, but a handful can't do it all......

Cheers

Dave

Long may your craft remain, but long may the freedom of others to choose an alternative if they either cannot afford it or choose not to employ it reign also...

Edited by The Dog House

I was thinking paint versus vinyl' steel versus fibreglass.It's just evolution. No alcohol involved.

I think it's a choice, not evolution. In that, signwriting hasn't been superseded by vinyl, as an improvement or as a superior progression. But, that depends on wether you run a sign business or not. A production line.

It's easier if you don't try and compare the two forms of application. They're very different. The equiptment that produces a vinyl sign is basically dumb. And as the old computer adage goes - garbage in garbage out.

Edited by Higgs

I'm surprised I haven't seen more "air brush" work being done on canal boats. Surely that is a modern method of sign writing?

Most airbrushed sign writing is usually based on a stencil cut by a computer....so in some ways it's easier to use the vinyl. Airbrushing comes into its own when it's used in a more creative way but that , like good hand lettering, requires mastery of the equipment and years of practise.

I have spent years using airbrush as one of my painting tools ....the portrait of Arthur Bray on my avatar was done mostly with an airbrush and I've been asked many times why I don't airbrush my boat. I don't airbrush my boat because I don't think it is suitable....I prefer it looking plain and simple.

I would hate to see any of the classic working boats treated with an airbrush , they are meant to be treated with the respect/artistry of someone like Dave Moore but I can't see any reason why airbrushing shouldn't be used on modern boats. I mostly paint motorbikes.......bicycles .....murals on canvas/walls and I can't see any problems transferring these skills to airbrushing on a narrowboat ....but there again, as it is a labour-intensive skill, it would cost a lot more than vinyl.

Here is a link to some of the stuff I do

www.bikeart.co.uk

I think it's a choice, not evolution. In that, signwriting hasn't been superseded by vinyl, as an improvement or as a superior progression. But, that depends on wether you run a sign business or not. A production line.

It's easier if you don't try and compare the two forms of application. They're very different. The equiptment that produces a vinyl sign is basically dumb. And as the old computer adage goes - garbage in garbage out.

You're right, it's not evolution because evolution suggests there's been an improvement. And just because things are cheaper and apparently easier, doesn't necessarily mean they're better. Of course a signwriter is going to be more expensive, because there's a limited number of people with the skill, and it's the skill you're paying for. But in my eyes it's also better value for money, because I know that a signwriter's work will give me pleasure every time I see it.

Much the same as a pot of paint and brushes. They don't paint by themselves.

Ok. Well. The person at the keyboard had to wait thousands of years before he/she could produce an inferior product.

I recently bumped into a couple of people that I went to art college with. They're 'old school', brush and pot. I use the computer to produce work. They look down their' nose at me. I use all kinds of media, but for print and expedience, the computer is more productive.

Edited by Higgs